Overseas operations shrinking for Syrian refugee resettlement as deadline nears

OTTAWA -- Overseas operations launched last year as part of the Liberal government's Syrian refugee resettlement program are winding down as the target date nears for the resettlement of 25,000 people.

See Full Article

The processing centre for security, health and identification checks in Turkey has now closed, one in Lebanon closes this week and the one in Jordan is not far behind as officials expect 25,000 Syrians to be in Canada by Monday.

"The last few months have been something unique and totally different from anything the government has ever done," Immigration Minister John McCallum said Wednesday.

"And so now it will be more, after the end of the month, still a very quick pace but nothing like the speed of what we've done."

However, the Immigration Department has not yet officially told the Canadian military to take down the preparations they've made to potentially house thousands of refugees at bases in Quebec and Ontario while they await permanent housing.

"We continue to stand by, if needed," said Evan Koronewski, a spokesperson for the Department of National Defence.

Finding both temporary and permanent housing for the 23,000 Syrians who have landed in Canada as of late Tuesday has been the most immediate challenge for the Liberals' resettlement program.

The potential that some would be housed briefly at military bases was part of the program when it was rolled out last fall, and six were designated at sites for that purpose.

While just a few weeks ago, officials had been near-certain they'd have to use at least two, they stepped up efforts to find enough hotels rather than have to use the bases.

Over the weekend, hundreds of people were moved out of hotels in Toronto and Montreal where they'd been staying for weeks as the federal government managed to find space in their eventual destination cities.

More cities have also been designated as reception centres for government-assisted refugees.

On Wednesday, the government announced Leamington, Ont., Peterborough, Ont., and Brooks, Alta. will all now receive government funding in order to assist Syrians to settle in those three centres, bringing the total number of cities taking in government-assisted refugees to 27.

About 52 per cent of the refugees who've arrived to date in total have found permanent housing.

"It's normal that it doesn't happen overnight," McCallum said of the move into permanent homes, adding he is "almost certain" military bases will not end up being used.

One benefit of not needing to use them is that it will save money, McCallum said. The government has budgeted $678 million for the resettlement program.

Follow ?åòStephanieLevitz on Twitter



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Armed gang steals toilet paper rolls in panic-buying hit Hong Kong

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG, CHINA -- Armed robbers who stole hundreds of toilet rolls were being hunted by Hong Kong police on Monday, in a city wracked by shortages caused by coronavirus panic-buying. Toilet rolls have become hot property in the densely packed business hub, despite government assurances that supplies remain unaffected by the virus outbreak. Source
  • Rival Democrats accuse Bloomberg of trying to 'buy' election

    World News CTV News
    CARSON CITY, NEV. -- With the Nevada caucuses less than a week away, Democratic presidential candidates campaigning this weekend were fixated on a rival who wasn't contesting the state. Bernie Sanders, Joe Biden, Amy Klobuchar, Elizabeth Warren and Pete Buttigieg all targeted billionaire Mike Bloomberg, accusing him of buying his way into the election and making clear they were eager to take him on in a debate. Source
  • Inside the meeting between Mohawks and Canada's Indigenous services minister

    Canada News CBC News
    Indigenous Services Minister Marc Miller asked the Mohawks of Tyendinaga to temporarily halt a demonstration that has shut down one of Canada's most important rail corridors and allow trains through, a leaked recording of the closed-door meeting reveals. Source
  • Canadian cruise ship evacuees frustrated with additional quarantine period

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Canadian evacuees of the Diamond Princess cruise ship currently docked in Yokohama, Japan, have expressed frustration over the additional quarantine period awaiting them once they return to Canada.Read more about the Diamond Princess evacuations Source
  • 10 years later, residents still waiting for a school in Olympic Village

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Parents living in Vancouver's Olympic Village neighbourhood are frustrated with the lack of options when it comes to sending their kids to school. “Anybody that says kids don't live in condos -- that is just an out dated belief," said Lisa McAllister, who lives in Olympic Village with her family of four. Source
  • China sees rise in new virus cases, death toll rises by 105

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Mainland China on Monday reported a slight upturn in new virus cases and an increase by 105 in deaths caused by the illness for a total of 1,770 since the outbreak began. The 2,048 new cases followed three days of declines but was up by just 39 cases from the previous day's figure. Source
  • 'Unfathomable': Search to continue Monday for body of 9-year-old boy in Lake Erie

    Canada News CBC News
    Locals watched the icy water with helplessness, as a recovery search continued Sunday for the nine-year-old boy who fell into Lake Erie on Saturday afternoon. "It's just so insanely tragic. And on a Family Day weekend of all the times," said Denice McKenzie, who lives in the small, close-knit community of Peacock Point, Ont. Source
  • N.B. premier cancels controversial plan to close rural ERs overnight

    Canada News CBC News
    New Brunswick premier Blaine Higgs has announced he's backing away from the controversial plan to close six emergency departments between midnight and 8 a.m. in a month's time. Higgs issued a news release shortly before 8 p.m. Source
  • U.S. man pleads guilty over plot to obtain stolen TVs worth US$1M

    World News CTV News
    GREENBELT, MD. -- Federal prosecutors in Maryland are recommending a prison sentence of more than five years for a man who pleaded guilty to conspiring to obtain hundreds of stolen televisions worth more than US$1 million. Source
  • Wales bears the brunt as deadly storm Dennis hammers the U.K.

    World News CBC News
    Storm Dennis hammered Britain on Sunday, bringing a month's worth of rain in just 48 hours to parts of South Wales, which bore the brunt of the country's second severe storm inside a week. Rivers across Britain burst their banks and a number of severe flood warnings remained in place as authorities strove to get people to safety and to protect homes and businesses. Source