Victoria police don't plan to immediately enforce tent camp eviction

VICTORIA - Police in Victoria say they won't immediately enforce a Thursday deadline aimed at clearing residents from a tent encampment in the city's downtown core.

See Full Article

A news release posted by Const. Matt Rutherford says there is no legal order in place that would prompt police enforcement at the tent city on the lawn of the courthouse.

The province is seeking voluntary compliance of the request that the camp be cleared by Thursday.

If or when a court order is in place, police say they will use the most appropriate and safest way to carry it out.

Housing Minister Rich Coleman confirms there are no plans for a major eviction when people are expected to leave and that he's hoping the homeless will take advantage of nearly 90 new shelter units and transitional housing spaces.

Coleman and police say they will be closely watching a rally planned at the camp on Thursday afternoon, with police noting it's expected to be peaceful though officers will be on hand to ensure safety.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Japan's detention of ex-Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn was wrong, human rights panel says

    World News CBC News
    A panel of human rights experts working with the United Nations said Monday that former Renault-Nissan boss Carlos Ghosn was wrongly detained in Japan and has urged "compensation" for him from the Japanese government. The Japanese government denounced the report as a "totally unacceptable" viewpoint that will change nothing in the country's legal process. Source
  • Human rights complaint filed against BMO, VPD by Indigenous man and granddaughter handcuffed at bank

    Canada News CBC News
    A human rights complaint has been filed against BMO and the Vancouver Police Department after an Indigenous man and his granddaughter were arrested while trying to open an account at a Vancouver branch of the bank last year. Source
  • Qatar says it identified parents of dumped baby in airport scandal

    World News CTV News
    Qatar said Monday it had identified the parents of a baby girl dumped at its airport, an incident that prompted officials to order departing female passengers to undergo invasive examinations, sparking global outrage. The public prosecutor said the mother and father were from "Asian countries" which in Qatar typically refers to the nations of South Asia where a large number of migrant workers come from. Source
  • 113 bodies found in secret graves in Mexico

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- Mexican authorities have recovered 113 bodies and additional human remains from a secret grave outside the western city of Guadalajara. Jalisco state Attorney Gerardo Octavio Solis said Sunday night that 30 of the victims had been identified. Source
  • Quebec reports 1,164 new cases of COVID-19, 13 deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec health authorities reported 1,164 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of cases in the province since the start of the pandemic to 133,206. Of them, 10,997 are active. Source
  • Bubble burst: N.L. and P.E.I. are backing out of the Atlantic bubble

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The Atlantic bubble has been burst. Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island announced Monday that they are backing out of the Atlantic bubble for at least two weeks. Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island first opened the Atlantic bubble on July 3. Source
  • Guatemala suspends budget that sparked violent protests

    World News CTV News
    GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA -- Guatemala's Congress suspended on Monday a controversial government budget that sparked protests in the impoverished Central American nation, including the torching of the legislature's building. Widespread discontent and indignation against President Alejandro Giammattei's administration and Congress have been caused by a lack of resources for battling the coronavirus pandemic, as well as the new spending plan. Source
  • 3 unprepared hikers, including 1 in shorts, rescued in the dark from snowy B.C. mountain

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Three hikers were rescued by search teams on Sunday evening after getting lost on a snowy North Shore mountain trail. North Shore Rescue says three hikers got lost at about 4:30 p.m., shortly after sunset, on Mount Fromme. Source
  • As COVID-19 cases rise, N.L. and P.E.I. exit Atlantic bubble for at least 2 weeks

    Canada News CBC News
    The Atlantic bubble is no more. Both Newfoundland and Labrador and P.E.I are exiting the Atlantic bubble for at least two weeks as COVID-19 cases rise in parts of the region. Newfoundland Premier Andrew Furey said the province will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation in the other Atlantic provinces to see if the two-week break needs to be extended. Source
  • Ontario breaks another COVID-19 record by adding more than 1,500 new cases, 19 more deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario health officials recorded more than 1,500 new COVID-19 infections in the province on Monday, marking another new record in the daily-reported number of cases in the province. Health officials confirmed 1,589 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Monday. Source