'Unimaginable regret': Marco Muzzo speaks at sentence hearing

The man who pleaded guilty to impaired driving told the court he has "great remorse" and "unimaginable regret" for his role in a crash that claimed the lives of three children and their grandfather.

See Full Article

Marco Muzzo, 29, took the stand on Wednesday, the second day of a sentence hearing in Newmarket, Ont.

Muzzo has not previously spoken publicly about the crash.

He pleaded guilty earlier this month to four counts of impaired driving caused death and two of impaired driving causing bodily harm.

Crown attorney Paul Tait asked the judge for a sentence of 10 to 12 years in prison, and a driving ban of eight to 12 years at the end of the prison sentence.

"An entire generation, the next generation of the Neville-Lake family, was wiped out in one fell swoop," Tait said.

"Every drunk driver has a choice, and in this case, that choice had catastrophic consequences."

Tait said he hopes that the sentence would serve as a deterrent to others who consider drinking and driving, pointing to the frequency of impaired driving incidents in the area where the fatal crash occurred.

Three vehicles, including Muzzo's, collided near an intersection in Vaughan, Ont. on Sept. 27.

Nine-year-old Daniel Neville-Lake, his five-year-old brother Harrison, their two-year-old sister Milly, and the children's 65-year-old grandfather, Gary Neville, died after the van they were in was hit by an SUV north of Toronto.

The children's grandmother and great-grandmother were also seriously injured in the crash.

Earlier in the day, the court heard details of Muzzo's psychiatric report, written by Dr. Graham Glancy.

Glancy wrote that Muzzo shows signs of "considerable remorse," post-traumatic stress disorder and depression. The report said he was "distressed and tearful" when discussing the crash with the psychiatrist.

Muzzo told Glancy he was surprised by the results of a breathalyzer test taken after the crash, which showed his blood-alcohol level was between two and three times the legal limit. The report said Muzzo told Glancy he'd had some drinks before taking the wheel, but that he didn't feel like he was drunk when he began to drive.

According to the report, Muzzo said he wanted to apologize to the children's parents, and educate others on the dangers of drinking and driving.

Muzzo heard from the parents of the Neville-Lake children in court Tuesday, when they read their victim impact statements while looking directly at him.

In her victim impact statement, the children’s mother, Jennifer Neville-Lake, expressed anguish and anger, saying Muzzo’s actions shattered her world.

“I don’t have anyone left to call me mom …. You killed all my babies,” Neville-Lake said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Financial sector needs to step up on climate change, Mark Carney warns

    World News CBC News
    Mark Carney, governor of the Bank of England, is urging the financial sector and, in particular, central banks to play an increasing role in the transition to a low-carbon economy. Writing in the Guardian in a piece co-authored by François Villeroy de Galhau, the governor of the Banque de France, he urged banks to find ways to protect their portfolios from the impact of climate change. Source
  • Fredericton to hit flood stage on Saturday, says province

    Canada News CBC News
    River levels along the lower St. John River are continuing to rise as residents brace for flooding that experts say could be as bad as the historic flood that hit parts of New Brunswick in 2018. The river sits at 5.6 metres on Thursday morning in Fredericton, but the forecast level was only 5.2 metres. Source
  • Short-circuit 'likely caused' Notre Dame fire

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- The latest on the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris and its aftermath (all times local): 6:15 p.m. A French judicial police official said investigators think an electrical short-circuit most likely caused Notre Dame Cathedral fire. Source
  • Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante faces online threats over secularism stance

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's premier is speaking out against online threats levelled against Montreal's mayor over her stance on Bill 21. Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante has said she's been the target of increasing threats since making known her opposition to the provincial secularism bill. Source
  • Gunmen kill 14 bus passengers in southwest Pakistan

    World News CBC News
    Gunmen wearing Pakistani police and paramilitary uniforms ambushed a bus before dawn Thursday and killed 14 people after going through their ID cards and forcing them out of the vehicle on a remote part of a coastal highway in restive southwestern Baluchistan province, officials said. Source
  • Trump declares 'a good day' following Mueller report release

    World News CTV News
    U.S. President Donald Trump says he's "having a good day" following the release of special counsel Robert Mueller's report. And he says that no president should ever have to go through what he did again. Source
  • Mueller report: What you need to know

    World News CTV News
    Nearly two years after former FBI director Robert Mueller was tasked with looking into allegations of links between the Russian government and the electoral campaign of U.S. President Donald Trump, the public now has a chance to see most of Mueller's findings. Source
  • Quebec public security minister warning flood zone residents not to take chances

    Canada News CTV News
    Quebec's public security minister is urging people in regions at risk of flooding not to take any chances and to follow the advice of civil security officials. Genevieve Guilbault spoke today as two days of heavy rain were forecast for the province, aggravating the danger in areas where water levels are already high. Source
  • Two more men from same Ontario family charged in historical sexual assaults

    Canada News CTV News
    Police in eastern Ontario say they've charged two more members of the same family in a series of historical sexual assaults alleged to have occurred between 1974 and 1991. Provincial police said earlier this month they had charged four relatives, all men aged 57 to 67, in various incidents involving multiple victims. Source
  • Supreme Court of Canada sides with police in internet child luring case

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The Supreme Court of Canada says undercover police officers do not need to obtain a judicial warrant before using email or instant-message services to communicate with someone suspected of child luring. The ruling today comes in the case of Sean Patrick Mills, a Newfoundland man who was convicted of internet luring after a police officer posed online as a 14-year-old girl named "Leann. Source