Canadian comedian asked to remove turban at U.S. airport

A Sikh Canadian comedian says he was asked to remove his turban at a San Francisco-area airport on Monday during a security check, and was then denied a request to have a mirror so he could put it back on.

See Full Article

Jasmeet Singh said he initially passed the first security screening at the airport, which involved a full-body scan in an X-ray machine, a guard using a hand-held metal detector to screen his body, and a swab test.

"After all those tests one of the agents told me I had to go do some extra screening," he told CTV News Channel on Tuesday. "They took me into a private room, and one of the agents said I needed to remove my turban."

Singh, who wears a turban as part of his religion, said at first he asked the guards if they could simply pat his turban down instead.

"At the end of the day, I feel that it's just a cloth," he said. "And if you can feel through my sweater, you can feel through my turban."

But the security staff said Singh would have to remove his turban if he wanted to get on his flight. So, he agreed, and the guards ran the cloth through another X-ray machine.

But when the guards brought the turban back and told him he was free to go, Singh asked if they could bring him a mirror so he could retie his turban before leaving the room.

"Unlike a hat or a shoe, you can't just plop it back on," he said, explaining that it takes some effort to retie the cloth. "It takes time and precision, there's a beautiful art behind it," he joked.

Instead of accommodating Singh's "simple request," the guards told him he could walk to a public washroom and use the mirror there to retie his turban.

However, this is problematic for some Sikhs, Singh said, because many see removing their turbans as a form of undressing.

"If you're taking me to a private room to undress, which is what it is for Sikh men, you can't expect them to walk out undressed," he said.

And while Singh has removed his turban before in some of his online skits, many other Sikh men would be "extremely uncomfortable" with the request, he said.

He said he doesn't fault the security agents who screened him according to protocol, but believes there is a general lack of awareness and understanding surrounding turbans.

Earlier this month, Indian-American actor and designer Waris Ahluwalia wasn't allowed to board an Aeromeixco flight after he refused to remove his turban.

The airline later issued an apology, and said it was working to strengthen protocols in "respectful accordance with the cultural and religious values" of its customers.

Ahluwali welcomed the apology, but also stressed the need for increased education – a sentiment that Singh agrees with.

"Give respect; take respect, at the end of the day that's what it boils down to," Singh said. "I don't think that (the incident) was dealt with properly."

Singh, who goes by the stage name JusReign, is an active comedian on social media, with more than 680,000 subscribers to his YouTube channel.

He shared the incident on Twitter, where he has more than 189,000 followers.

so the @tsa made me take off my turban in extra screening or they said I wouldn't be able to be let through to catch my flight

— Jasmeet Singh (@JusReign) February 22, 2016

and naturally I'm like nah I really don't wanna do that since I got a flight to catch, but the manager intervenes and says I have to

— Jasmeet Singh (@JusReign) February 22, 2016

so I get into the private screening and take it off and they body search me and put my turban through another X-ray machine because "safety"

— Jasmeet Singh (@JusReign) February 22, 2016

after finding absolutely nothing wrong because a turban is just cloth and the whole thing is stupid I ask for a mirror to tie it back again

— Jasmeet Singh (@JusReign) February 22, 2016

the agent tells me there are no mirrors and that I can just walk down the terminal to the nearest restroom

without my turban on

— Jasmeet Singh (@JusReign) February 22, 2016


Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Who can topple Trump? Dems' electability fight rages in Iowa

    World News CTV News
    DES MOINES, IOWA -- The urgent fight for the Democratic presidential nomination raged across Iowa on Sunday as the party's leading candidates scrambled to deliver closing arguments centred on the defining question of the 2020 primary: Who can beat U.S. Source
  • Rocket strikes dining facility at U.S. Embassy compound in Baghdad

    World News CTV News
    One rocket hit a dining facility Sunday on the compound of the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, a U.S. official told CNN. The official said at this early stage there are reports of minor damage. Source
  • Iraq PM condemns rocket attack at U.S. Embassy in Baghdad

    World News CBC News
    Five Katyusha rockets crashed into a riverbank near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone without causing any injuries or serious damage, a statement from U.S. Joint Operations Command said. One rocket landed inside the embassy walls, an Iraqi security official said. Source
  • Rockets fired at U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Iraqi PM condemns attack

    World News CBC News
    Five Katyusha rockets crashed into a riverbank near the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone without causing any injuries or serious damage, a statement from U.S. Joint Operations Command said. One rocket landed inside the embassy walls, an Iraqi security official said. Source
  • Where will Prince Harry and Meghan live? In B.C., hopes of becoming home

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- A striking sight, the Royal Standard flaps against the dark skies and unrelenting rains of Vancouver. Monarchist Raymond Greenwood raised the Queen's banner atop his house just days ago to welcome Prince Harry and his wife Meghan after learning that the royal runaways were considering moving to his oceanside Kitsilano neighbourhood. Source
  • 2 more snowmobilers pulled from Lac Saint-Jean

    Canada News CBC News
    Quebec provincial police divers have located and retrieved the bodies of two more missing snowmobilers who were lost in the Lac Saint-Jean region after they broke through the ice during an expedition on Jan. 21. A group of eight French nationals, led by a guide, were trying to cross a snow-covered channel between the towns of Saint-Henri-de-Taillon and Alma on Tuesday night when the ice gave way. Source
  • Toronto Public Health says it's ready for infectious diseases like coronavirus

    Canada News CBC News
    With the confirmation of Canada's first case of the coronavirus in Toronto, health authorities are assuring the public the required systems are in place to keep people safe. Coun. Joe Cressy, chair of the Toronto Board of Health, says he has "full confidence" in the city's Medical Officer of Health and the Toronto Public Health team, and will continue to work closely with them to ensure the public remains protected and informed. Source
  • Who will share the Holocaust's horrors as its survivors disappear?

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- As the Holocaust fades further and further into the reaches of history, some surveys suggest it may be difficult to maintain the memory of one of humanity's greatest atrocities. Monday marks 75 years since the liberation of Auschwitz, the most infamous of the Nazi death camps. Source
  • In China, people wonder how open government is being over coronavirus

    World News CBC News
    The 2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) left 44 Canadians dead, but it wasn't documented on social media. That's because Facebook, Twitter and YouTube didn't exist back then. "Social media adds a whole new layer to all of this messaging that's out there that I didn't have to deal with when I was reporting on SARS," Maureen Taylor said today on The Weekly with Wendy Mesley. Source
  • Quebec Court of Appeal to hear Alexandre Bissonnette appeals on Monday

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's high court will hear arguments Monday as to whether the length of the sentence handed down to convicted Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette should be changed. Nearly three years after the massacre that claimed six lives at the Islamic Cultural Centre in the provincial capital, lawyers will argue the matter before the Quebec Court of Appeal. Source