Man who beheaded fellow bus passenger wants to live on his own

WINNIPEG -- A man who beheaded a fellow passenger on a Greyhound bus in Manitoba has changed his name and wants to leave his group home to live independently.

See Full Article

Vince Li appeared before a Criminal Code Review Board on Monday under the new name of Will Baker.

Baker killed Tim McLean during a bus trip on the TransCanada Highway near Portage la Prairie in July 2008. He was found to be not criminally responsible for the murder due to mental illness -- schizophrenia.

Baker was originally kept in a secure wing at the Selkirk Mental Health Centre, but the board has granted him increasing freedoms starting with supervised walks on the hospital grounds and eventually escorted trips to nearby communities.

He won the right to live in a group home last year

His medical team is now asking the review board to let Baker live on his own, albeit with several conditions that would include daily monitoring to ensure he continues to take his anti-psychotic medication.

The board heard from Baker's doctors on Monday that he has been a model patient and has always taken his medication.

Crown attorney Brian Sharpe said Baker would continue to be monitored "for the foreseeable future" and did not object to the request for independent living.

"There have been no issues. He's described in positive terms by the staff," Sharpe told the hearing.

"As far as I can tell, he's done everything that's been asked of him."

A decision by the board is expected by the end of the week.

Baker, 47, sat next to the 22-year-old McLean on the Greyhound bus after the young man smiled at him and asked how he was doing.

Li said he heard the voice of God telling him to kill the young carnival worker or "die immediately." Li repeatedly stabbed McLean who unsuccessfully fought for his life. As passengers fled the bus, Li continued stabbing and mutilating the body before he was arrested.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump orders Republican organizations to stop using his name for fundraising

    World News CTV News
    Lawyers for former U.S. President Donald Trump sent out cease-and-desist letters Friday to the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee, and the National Republican Senatorial Committee for using his name and likeness on fundraising emails and merchandise, a Trump adviser tells CNN. Source
  • Trump says he'll campaign against Murkowski in Alaska next year

    World News CTV News
    Former President Donald Trump said Saturday he plans to campaign against GOP Sen. Lisa Murkowski in Alaska next year when she's up for reelection, intensifying his pledges to oppose GOP lawmakers who have bucked him. Source
  • Dozens rally before ex-officer put on trial in Floyd's death

    World News CTV News
    ST. PAUL, MINN. -- Dozens of people gathered in front of the Minnesota governor's mansion on Saturday to demand accountability for police officers, days before a former Minneapolis officer is scheduled to go on trial in the death of George Floyd. Source
  • Italian prosecutor seeks life for U.S. men charged with murder

    World News CTV News
    ROME -- An Italian prosecutor on Saturday requested life in prison for two young American men charged with slaying an Italian police officer in central Rome. Prosecutor Maria Sabina Calabretta asked the court to find the two defendants -- Finnegan Lee Elder, 21, and Gabriel Natale-Hjorth, 20 -- guilty and to impose Italy's maximum sentence for the death of Vice Brigadier Mario Cerciello Rega. Source
  • Disneyland gets green light to reopen as California eases COVID-19 restrictions

    World News CBC News
    California health officials set new rules on Friday that would allow Disneyland and other theme parks, stadiums and outdoor entertainment venues to reopen as early as April 1, after a closure of nearly a year due to the coronavirus pandemic. Source
  • NHL star's mom donates kidney to arena manager who let her boys skate extra hours

    Canada News CBC News
    They're grown men playing professional hockey now, but when Bonnie O'Reilly's boys were growing up in Seaforth, Ont., Graham Nesbitt was a local legend. As manager of the local arena in the community of about 3,000 people, located an hour north of London, Nesbitt would open the doors on snow days or after regular hours so scores of local kids could skate. Source
  • Dolce&Gabbana seeks over $600M damages from 2 U.S. bloggers

    World News CTV News
    MILAN -- The Milan fashion house Dolce&Gabbana has filed a multimillion-dollar defamation suit in an Italian court against U.S. fashion bloggers who reposted anti-Asian comments attributed to one of the designers that led to a boycott by Asian consumers. Source
  • An 18-year-old wins $25,000 on her very first lottery ticket in the U.S.

    World News CTV News
    Now that she had turned 18, Sloan Stanley decided she'd do some grown-up things. One item on her to-do list: Buy her very first lottery ticket. Imagine her surprise when a scratch-off she paid US$5 for ended up netting her a sweet $25,000. Source
  • Hundreds gather in illegal COVID-19 protest in Stockholm

    World News CTV News
    STOCKHOLM -- Swedish police dispersed hundreds of people who had gathered in central Stockholm to protest coronavirus restrictions set by the Swedish government. Swedish authorities said Saturday's demonstration was illegal as it was held without permission. Source
  • How this 17-year-old boy is using 'CovART' to help children in Kenya

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A 17-year-old boy from Kingston, Ont. was inspired to give back this summer when he saw how the pandemic was impacting African youths’ access to education. Evan Sharma, the founder of CovART Challenge, decided he wanted to do something to help people in need this summer, and after speaking to friends and watching the news, he decided to put his art to good use in an effort to provide meals to students in Kenya. Source