'They will never be forgotten': Victim impact statements at Muzzo sentencing

Friends and family spoke at a sentencing hearing about the profound impact the tragic death of three siblings and their grandfather has had on the community.

See Full Article

A Newmarket, Ont. court heard victim impact statements Tuesday at a sentencing hearing for Marco Muzzo, who pleaded guilty to six charges in the crash that killed nine-year-old Daniel Neville-Lake, his five-year-old brother Harrison, their two-year-old sister Milly, and the children's 65-year-old grandfather, Gary Neville, when the van they were in was T-boned by an SUV in Vaughan, Ont. on Sept. 27.

The children's grandmother and great-grandmother were also seriously injured in the crash.

Brampton Mayor Linda Jeffrey said in a statement read to the court that the children's deaths were a reminder that more work needs to be done to end drunk driving.

She said, following the crash, "we all hugged our children a little bit tighter."

Brampton Catholic School Board Trustee Anna da Silva said the fact that a family can be "totally decimated" because of one drunk driver is "unfathomable."

In a statement read to the court, da Silva said the community does not know how to help the family cope with their pain.

"Do we tell them stories about our own children? Wish them a Merry Christmas or a Happy New Year?"

Meanwhile, a Cub Scout leader told the court that the children "Will never be forgotten but always remembered as well-loved members of our family."

Muzzo expected to address the court

Muzzo, 29, pleaded guilty earlier this month to four counts of impaired driving causing death, and two counts of impaired driving causing bodily harm. He was released on $1 million bail.

On Tuesday morning, the children's mother Jennifer Neville-Lake thanked her family and friends for their "messages of love and support."

The judge is also expected to hear statements from the Neville-Lake family and Muzzo.

Muzzo's lawyer Brian Greenspan said that he expects the sentencing hearing to continue for two days.

The court heard that prior to the deadly crash, Muzzo had returned from a trip to Miami on a private jet.

Shortly after driving off from the airport in his SUV, Muzzo drove through a stop sign on Kipling Avenue and struck the minivan carrying the Neville-Lake family.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Memorable quotes from Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview

    World News CTV News
    Memorable quotes and major revelations from Oprah Winfrey's interview with Meghan and Harry, their first since stepping away from royal life: "I just didn't want to be alive anymore. And that was very clear and real and frightening. Source
  • Authorities to seek charges after massive party near University of Colorado turned violent

    World News CTV News
    Authorities promised Sunday to pursue criminal charges after a massive party near the University of Colorado in Boulder devolved into a violent confrontation with police that left three officers injured. Hundreds of people flooded the streets in an area known as the Hill on Saturday night and when told to leave threw bottles, rocks and other objects at police and firefighters, police said. Source
  • Meghan says Royal Family had concerns about Archie's skin colour

    World News CBC News
    Meghan said she considered suicide or self-harm during her time with the Royal Family after asking for help but getting none. "I just didn't want to be alive any more. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought. Source
  • Bombshells from royal interview: The most dramatic disclosures from Prince Harry and Meghan

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Prince Harry and Meghan opened up about their life both in and out of the Royal Family during a wide-ranging interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired on Sunday. In the interview, Harry and Meghan spoke about their relationship with the Royal Family, Meghan’s first meeting with Queen Elizabeth and the tensions she’s experienced with the family. Source
  • U.S. and South Korea agree on new cost-sharing deal for troops

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The United States and South Korea have reached agreement in principle on a new arrangement for sharing the cost of the American troop presence, which is intended as a bulwark against the threat of North Korean aggression, both countries announced. Source
  • Meghan says she had suicidal thoughts during royal life in Oprah interview

    World News CBC News
    Meghan said she considered suicide or self-harm during her time with the Royal Family after asking for help but getting none. "I just didn't want to be alive any more. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought. Source
  • Meghan says Royal Family refused to make son a prince due to skin colour

    World News CBC News
    Meghan said she considered suicide or self-harm during her time with the Royal Family after asking for help but getting none. "I just didn't want to be alive any more. And that was a very clear and real and frightening constant thought. Source
  • Are there mussels on your moss balls? Alberta officials warn of tiny invasive species

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Wildlife officials are sounding the alarm following the discovery of a tiny invader that hitched a ride into Alberta last week. Moss balls, also known as marimos, are a popular item among aquarium lovers and are sold in many pet and plant stores throughout the province. Source
  • At least 15 dead, 400 wounded in Equatorial Guinea blasts

    World News CTV News
    OUAGADOUGOU, BURKINA FASO -- A series of explosions at a military barracks in Equatorial Guinea killed at least 15 people and wounded more than 400 others, authorities said. State television TVGE read out a statement from President Teodoro Obiang Nguema which said the explosion was due to the "negligent handling of dynamite" in the military barracks located in the neighbourhood of Mondong Nkuantoma in Bata. Source
  • 'It's been a good week': Tam hopeful on vaccines as pandemic anniversary nears

    Canada News CTV News
    Canada's chief public health officer is expressing hope for the future as the world prepares to mark the one-year anniversary of the COVID-19 crisis. The World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic last March 11, and Dr. Source