Website offering Trump-free sanctuary gets huge traffic spike

Last week, Rob Calabrese launched a website offering up Cape Breton as a refuge in the event of a Donald Trump presidential victory.

See Full Article

This week, his tongue-in-cheek project has picked up more steam than he could have ever imagined.

“I couldn't have possibly expected it to take on the life that it has,” the Sydney, N.S. native said.

Calabrese said he’s had about 600,000 unique visitors to his website “Cape Breton If Donald Trump Wins” since its launch.

And that boom in traffic seems to be spilling over to other parts of Nova Scotia’s digital landscape. Real estate pages that usually see around 200 hits per day have seen tens of thousands of visitors pouring in.

“It seems pretty coincidental but I don't think it is,” said ________ “Right after that website went live that's when we saw the spike. In fact on Friday that number jumped up 50,000 visits a day.”

David Johnson, a political science professor at Cape Breton University, said the fact that Trump has a realistic chance of earning the Republican nomination is in line with the current American political climate.

“They're angry at the economy, they fear the world, they fear immigration, they fear terrorism, fear for their jobs,” Johnson said. “There’s an awful lot of fear in the land, in the United States. And Trump taps into that.”

He added that if the majority of Republicans want to select another candidate, they’d better act fast.

“The anti-Trump vote might still be able to coalesce around somebody like Marco Rubio, but time is of the essence and the anti-Trump vote has to get organized very quickly.”

Back in the land now being touted as a Trump-free sanctuary, it’s not difficult to find someone who disagrees with The Donald’s viewpoints.

“He's got too big a mouth for one thing. I don't think he's diplomatic enough to get along with a lot of these countries,” said local resident Gary Burke.

“He's so rude. So outspoken,” said another woman, Jesse Moulins. “What if he talks like that to the Russian president? Or anybody like that? That's scary.”

But regardless of people’s politics and how the race pans out, Calabrese said there’s a very real boost in people’s interest in Cape Breton.

“A lot of people who write in have never heard of Cape Breton before. And they say, ‘Wow, it doesn’t matter who wins, I at least would like to visit,’” he said.

“That's a common thing -- ‘It doesn’t matter who wins, we want to come and see it.’”

With a report from CTV Atlantic



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Mississippi moves one step closer to banning transgender athletes from women's sports

    World News CTV News
    Mississippi moved one step closer to banning transgender athletes from participating in women's sports after the state House approved a bill on Wednesday that could make the state the first in the country to add anti-transgender legislation to its books this year. Source
  • After record COVID-19 deaths, Bolsonaro tells Brazilians to stop 'whining'

    World News CTV News
    BRASILIA -- After two straight days of record COVID-19 deaths in Brazil, President Jair Bolsonaro on Thursday told Brazilians to stop "whining" and move on, in his latest remarks attacking distancing measures and downplaying the gravity of the pandemic. Source
  • Minassian decision opens door for verdict of not criminally responsible due to autism

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The judge who found Alek Minassian guilty of murder and attempted murder in the Toronto van attack set Canadian precedent Wednesday by considering autism a "mental disorder" under the Criminal Code. Justice Anne Molloy ruled that autism spectrum disorder did not leave the 28-year-old not criminally responsible for killing 10 people and injuring 16 others, but her decision to consider that possibility means the argument could be made in future cases. Source
  • Health Canada approves Johnson and Johnson vaccine

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Health Canada is to announce approval of the COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson and Johnson this morning, according to multiple sources aware of the decision but not authorized to discuss it publicly. The federal regulator has found the evidence shows the vaccine is both safe and effective against the virus that causes COVID-19. Source
  • Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine becomes 4th to receive Health Canada approval

    Canada News CBC News
    Health Canada has approved the use of Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine in Canada, CBC News has learned. Health officials will announce the approval at a media briefing this morning at 10 a.m., multiple sources with knowledge of the approval confirmed. Source
  • Prince Philip back at King Edward VII's Hospital after heart procedure

    World News CBC News
    Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, has been transferred back to a private hospital after successfully undergoing a procedure to treat a heart condition, Buckingham Palace said on Friday. Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh who has been hospitalized for more than two weeks, was moved to a London hospital with a specialist cardiac centre on Monday for treatment for a pre-existing heart issue. Source
  • Teenage girl's beheading spurs calls for 'honour killings' law in India

    World News CTV News
    LUCKNOW, INDIA -- Police in northern India said on Thursday they had arrested a man who beheaded his daughter and carried her severed head to the village police station, a case that spurred calls for a new law against so-called honour killings. Source
  • Ontario to release updated COVID-19 vaccine rollout plan today

    Canada News CBC News
    Ontario officials are expected to provide an update on the province's COVID-19 vaccine rollout on Friday, as residents of three health units also wait to see if stay-at-home orders will be lifted for their regions. Premier Doug Ford is scheduled to hold a news conference beginning at 1 p.m. Source
  • Prince Philip transferred back to private hospital

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip has been transferred back to the private Prince Edward VII's hospital to continue his recovery after a heart procedure. The palace says the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew's Hospital on Wednesday. Source
  • Ontario to decide on public health restrictions for remaining three COVID-19 hot spots

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario will decide today what level of restrictions to place on three COVID-19 hot spots still under strict stay-at-home orders. The government extended those orders for Toronto, Peel Region and North Bay two weeks ago due to high virus case numbers. Source