Winnipeg man faces 2nd-degree murder charges in death of teen

Winnipeg Police say they have arrested and charged a man with second-degree murder in connection with the death of 17-year-old Cooper Nemeth.

See Full Article

Nemeth went missing in the early-morning hours of Feb. 14, after he left a party in Winnipeg's Valley Gardens neighbourhood. Police say witnesses saw Nemeth climb into a vehicle with another male before disappearing.

On Sunday, police told reporters they believed they had located Nemeth's body in a bin on a property in the same area.

"It is with sadness that I'm here to report that a body was discovered on a property on Bayne Crescent, not far from the party where Cooper was last seen," Winnipeg Police Deputy Chief of Investigations Danny Smyth said at a news conference on Sunday.

"Investigators believe this is Cooper's body, although this still needs to be confirmed by medical examiners later in the week," Smyth said.

According to the preliminary investigation, Smyth said, investigators believe Nemeth was murdered and his body purposefully concealed in a sheltered area of the property on Bayne Crescent.

Smyth said the property owner contacted police after hearing unusual noises at the rear of the property, and that the owner is not believed to be connected to the case.

Police responded to the call and discovered the bin, which they say does not belong to the property owner.

On Sunday morning, officials arrested 22-year-old Nicholas Bell-Wright and charged him with second-degree homicide.

Police now allege that Bell-Wright killed Nemeth sometime after leaving the party, and later moved the body onto the property in the Valley Gardens neighbourhood.

"I don't believe the murder was on Bayne Crescent," Smyth said. "We think the body was moved there."

Smyth said the details of the case remain unclear, but that police believe the killing was "drug-related" and that Bell-Wright acted alone.

Smyth said police arrested Bell-Wright without incident in the city's Maples area, where officers found him in a vehicle that had been reported stolen on Saturday. Smyth also said officers searched Bell-Wright's residence earlier in the week and found forensic evidence and a vehicle that is believed to be linked to the case.

Bell-Wright has one previous assault conviction, Smyth said, but no "extensive" criminal record.

The suspect is currently in police custody.

Nemeth's disappearance prompted a massive outpouring of support and a search effort that involved hundreds of people across the city.

On Sunday, the teen's aunt and uncle called off the search on Twitter and said the family would release a statement in the upcoming days.

Smyth thanked the community for their "support throughout this ordeal," and expressed his condolences for the teen's family.

"This is not the outcome that anyone wanted, and our hearts go out to the Nemeth family while they deal with the loss of their son," he said. "I can only imagine the pain that they're going through, but I also believe that the remarkable and continued support of the community will help them get through this tragedy."

Smyth said the investigation is ongoing and that an autopsy is expected to be performed early this week.

With files from CTV Winnipeg



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump recounts minute-by-minute details of Soleimani strike to donors at Mar-a-Lago

    World News CTV News
    U.S. President Trump recounted minute-by-minute details of the strike that killed Iran's top military commander during remarks to high-dollar Republican donors at his South Florida estate, according to audio obtained by CNN. Trump, speaking at a GOP fundraising dinner Friday evening, offered new details about the strike that killed Gen. Source
  • Thousands gather for Women's March rallies across the U.S.

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Thousands gathered in cities across the country Saturday as part of the nationwide Women's March rallies focused on issues such as climate change, pay equity, reproductive rights and immigration. Hundred showed up in New York City and thousands in Washington, D.C. Source
  • House Dems to outline case for removing Trump from office

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- House Democrats were preparing to outline their case for removing U.S. President Donald Trump from office in a legal brief due Saturday, as opposing sides in the impeachment case look ahead to the opening of the historic trial in the Senate. Source
  • More than 150 injured after police, protesters clash in Lebanon's capital

    World News CBC News
    Riot police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannons near parliament in Lebanon's capital Saturday to disperse thousands of protesters after riots broke out during a march against the ruling elite amid a severe economic crisis. Source
  • Lebanon police fire tear gas, water cannons at protesters amid Beirut riots

    World News CBC News
    Riot police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannons near parliament in Lebanon's capital Saturday to disperse thousands of protesters after riots broke out during a march against the ruling elite amid a severe economic crisis. Source
  • Prince Harry and Meghan give up royal titles, public funding

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will no longer be working members of the Royal Family and will, therefore, no longer use their royal titles or taxpayer money, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace released Saturday. Source
  • Prince Harry and Meghan will give up royal titles, public funding

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will no longer be working members of the Royal Family and will, therefore, no longer use their royal titles or taxpayer money, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace released Saturday. Source
  • Harry and Meghan will no longer use royal titles, receive public funds for duties

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Harry and Meghan will no longer use their "royal highness" titles or receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.Sign up for our Royal Dispatch newsletter for all the latest Royal news Source
  • Prince Harry, Meghan will no longer use 'royal highness' titles

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- v> Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their 'royal highness' titles or receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.Sign up for our Royal Dispatch newsletter for all the latest Royal news Source
  • Protests close Louvre museum in Paris amid pension strikes

    World News CBC News
    Dozens of protesters blocked the entrance to the Louvre museum and forced the famous Paris landmark to close Friday while they denounced the French government's plans to overhaul the pension system. Protesters later chased down President Emmanuel Macron at an evening theatre performance in northern Paris. Source