Quebec gun owners protest against re-establishing registry

Dozens of gun owners held a rally outside the St-Jerome riding office of Parti Quebecois leader Pierre Karl Peladeau Saturday morning in opposition to a proposed law that would re-establish the gun registry in Quebec.

See Full Article

The controversial registry was abolished four years ago by the former Conservative government in Ottawa.

Quebec decided to would create its own version of the registry after political parties unanimously voted in favour of Bill 64 in December, but a group of gun owners is seeking to convince politicians that the call for a gun registry is not unanimous.

“We feel misunderstood,” said activist Guy Morin of the group Citizens United against the Gun Registry. “People seem to ignore the fact that there's already strong gun control in Canada.”

Gun owners currently require a licence to purchase a gun or a long-gun.

“The registry is a useless extra step, especially if it only applies to Quebec,” said Morin. “Why Quebec? Are we better? I don't think so.”

Similar to the St-Jerome riding, rallies were held in Thetford Mines and in Lac St-Jean to denounce the proposed gun registry.

The PQ caucus is divided over reinstating the registry.

The emerging opposition against the registry has become a political hot potato in the National Assembly, where some MNAs from rural areas are feeling pressure from their gun-owning constituents.

“Well, because you have different sensibilities on the territory, so we must take into account these different sensibilities,” PQ MNA Bernard Drainville said about the matter last month.

In Quebec, 95 per cent of guns are hunting rifles.

“I think it's deplorable that law-abiding gun owners are demonized in society,” said gun owner Steven Clark.

The newly formed citizen's coalition against the gun registry is circulating a petition against the proposed law as plans to challenge it as it makes its way through the legislature.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • At least 16 dead in Afghanistan blast as officials try to dispose of explosives

    World News CBC News
    At least 16 people were killed Tuesday when Afghan security forces tried to dispose of a container full of explosives found in the southern city of Kandahar, officials said. Daud Ahmadi, spokesman for the provincial governor, said four security forces were among those killed. Source
  • Bride continues with wedding hours after mother dies in B.C. surfing accident

    Canada News CTV News
    A Vancouver Island wedding day took a tragic turn when the mother of the bride died in a surfing accident on the morning of the ceremony. Ann Wittenberg, a government worker from Ottawa, travelled to Tofino, B.C. Source
  • Trump the dealmaker facing challenges ahead of N.Korea summit

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Weeks before his planned North Korea summit, U.S. President Donald Trump is staring down a dealmaker's worst nightmare: overpromising and under-delivering. As the Singapore meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un draws near, the president and his allies are growing increasingly anxious about how he can score a win on the world stage. Source
  • Trump the dealmaker facing challenges ahead of North Korea summit

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Weeks before his planned North Korea summit, U.S. President Donald Trump is staring down a dealmaker's worst nightmare: overpromising and under-delivering. As the Singapore meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un draws near, the president and his allies are growing increasingly anxious about how he can score a win on the world stage. Source
  • As summit looms, North Korean media return to angry tone

    World News CTV News
    TOKYO -- North Korean media stepped up their rhetorical attacks on South Korea and joint military exercises with the United States, warning Tuesday that a budding detente could be in danger. State media unleashed three strongly worded commentaries slamming Seoul and Washington for the manoeuvrs and demanding Seoul take action against defectors it claimed were sending anti-North Korea propaganda leaflets across the border. Source
  • Police investigating U.S. links to Carleton University campus threat

    Canada News CTV News
    An online threat against staff and students at Ottawa’s Carleton University from a Twitter account that has posted photos of guns and bombs rattled nerves on campus before police determined the threat was not credible. Source
  • Ariana Grande sends love to fans on Manchester anniversary

    World News CBC News
    Ariana Grande shared a message of hope with fans Tuesday on the anniversary of the bombing at Manchester Arena that killed 22 people. The pop star told survivors and the families of victims that she was "thinking of you all today and every day. Source
  • Investigation continues after human remains found beside busy Toronto highway

    Canada News CTV News
    An on ramp to the busy Highway 401 on the east side of Toronto will stay closed Tuesday as police investigate the discovery of human remains. The discovery was made in a grassy ditch along the highway as Toronto police were investigating an unrelated matter on Sunday. Source
  • Australian archbishop convicted of child sex abuse coverup

    World News CTV News
    CANBERRA, Australia -- An Australian archbishop on Tuesday became the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world convicted of covering up child sex abuse in a test case that holds to account church hierarchy that kept silent in the face of an international pedophile crisis. Source
  • Syrian forces celebrate reclaiming of Damascus after 7 years

    World News CBC News
    Syrian government forces raised their flag over the Yarmouk Palestinian camp in Damascus on Tuesday as state media promoted what it said was the "liberation" of the last quarters of the capital from rebels and Islamic State in Iraq and Syria militants. Source