Letters dating back to 1940s found in stolen vehicle

RIMBEY, Alta. -- RCMP are trying to find relatives of a woman and a man who wrote letters to each other as far back as the 1940s.

See Full Article

Mounties found a bundle of the handwritten letters in a stolen vehicle in central Alberta.

The names on the envelopes are Margaret Clark and Mungo Clark, including one that shows he was a gunner who served in the 40th Battery, 11th Field Regiment, Canadian Army overseas.

RCMP Cpl. Laurel Scott said the letters are likely to be of sentimental value to someone.

"The hope is that somebody in the public knows -- if not who these people are -- who their family is and just contacts us and we get these letters reunited with whoever has been saving them for the past 70 years," Scott said Friday.

A military website shows the 11th Field Regiment served in Europe in the 1940s.

Some of the envelopes show addresses in Hamilton, Regina and Craik, Sask.

RCMP found the letters earlier this month on the backseat of a car in Rimbey along with other stolen property.

Scott said they have contacted the Canadian military for information on Mungo Clark, but have been told it could take time to sift through historical archives.

She said they hope some publicity about the letters will lead to tips from the public.

Until then RCMP will keep the letters safe in the hope they can be returned.

"We know that these are very special to somebody and we want to get them back," she said.

RCMP have charged Kaylyn Holmgren, 26, with 20 Criminal Code and traffic offences.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Fraud case charges stayed because of judge shortage in Ontario Superior Court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Five men accused in an alleged multimillion-dollar fraud scheme have had all charges against them stayed because of a shortage of judges in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice. Earlier this year, a judge attempting to set a trial date for the five accused said they could not come before the courts until at least January 2019. Source
  • Newly released video from Brazil shows man believed to be last of tribe

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- No one knows his name. No one knows the name of the people he came from. And he appears to have lived alone in Brazil's Amazon for 22 years. Video released for this first time this week by Brazil's Indian Foundation shows rare images of a so-called uncontacted indigenous man who is believed to be the last surviving member of his tribe. Source
  • Man charged with attempted murder of 5-year-old makes court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    The 28-year-old man charged with the attempted murder of a 5-year-old Brampton, Ont. boy appeared in court on Friday. Dyon Smart has been remanded in custody and will make his next court appearance on July 25. Source
  • 'The Jay Z of St.-T': Rapper runs for mayor in St. Thomas, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    Three years ago, rap artist Malichi Male was driving to a gig in London, Ont. when he got lost. Male took a wrong turn and ended up in St. Thomas, a quiet community about 27 kilometres south of his destination. Source
  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas using an obscure U.S. law never tested in court has been framed by the casino-operator as an effort to avoid years of costly litigation -- but the legal manoeuvr may not play out that way. Source
  • 4-year-old boy shoots, kills 2-year-old cousin in California: police

    World News CTV News
    SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- Authorities say a 4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his 2-year-old cousin at a home in Southern California. San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Bachman says the shooting occurred Friday morning in the Muscoy area, east of Los Angeles. Source
  • Technical and stage workers locked out at Toronto's Exhibition Place

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Workers who provide technical and staging expertise for events in major venues at Toronto's Exhibition Place have been locked out. International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 58 says the lockout comes after months of negotiations for a new collective agreement. Source
  • Woman 'livid' after Air Canada allegedly failed to put mother’s remains on connecting flight

    Canada News CTV News
    A Brampton, Ont. woman says her mother’s remains spent days in an unrefrigerated Miami warehouse after Air Canada allegedly failed to transfer them to a connecting flight on time. “I’m livid,” Dion De Freitas told CTV Toronto. Source
  • U.S. making 'great progress' reuniting migrant families: judge

    World News CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- A federal judge says the Trump administration is making "great progress" toward meeting a Thursday deadline to reunite more than 2,500 children with their families after they were separated at the border. Source
  • Quebec pilot project to introduce sexual education to daycare-aged kids

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Some 1,200 Quebec daycare and kindergarten students will begin receiving age-appropriate sexual education this fall as part of a pilot project. The project will be run by the Marie-Vincent Foundation, which fights sexual abuse of children and teenagers. Source