Critics want feds to kill nuclear-waste bunker on Lake Huron

TORONTO -- Groups opposed to the burial of nuclear waste near Lake Huron are calling on the federal government to kill a proposal for an underground storage bunker rather than ask for more information on the project.

See Full Article

In a statement Friday, one group said the environmental credibility of the new Liberal government under Justin Trudeau is at stake.

"It is unfortunate that the government is not listening to what the people and Great Lakes communities are telling them: to reject this plan," said Beverly Fernandez with Stop the Great Lakes Nuclear Dump.

"No matter what process is followed, burying and abandoning radioactive nuclear waste in the Great Lakes Basin will always be a bad idea."

The statement comes after the federal government said it needs more information before deciding whether to approve plans to build a giant underground storage bunker for nuclear waste near the Lake Huron shoreline.

That means a decision on the project, decried by scores of communities around or near the Great Lakes, will be delayed well beyond what had been a March 1 deadline.

A notice posted by the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency says Environment Minister Catherine McKenna wants more details and further environmental studies for the proposed deep geologic repository near Kincardine, Ont.

A review panel last May had given the go-ahead, but a decision rests with the McKenna.

"The minister has requested that the proponent, Ontario Power Generation, provide additional information on three aspects of the environmental assessment: alternate locations for the project, cumulative environmental effects of the project, and an updated list of mitigation commitments for each identified adverse effect," the notice reads.

"The minister's request for information from the proponent has paused the timeline for an environmental assessment decision to be issued."

A decision had been expected in September, but the former Conservative government extended the deadline to March 1 to allow for last fall's federal election.

McKenna has now given the utility until April 18 to provide the environmental assessment agency with a schedule for fulfilling the information request. When she might make a decision is still to be determined.

Ontario Power Generation proposes to construct and operate the underground facility for the long-term management of radioactive waste at the Bruce nuclear site.

The proposal calls for hundreds of thousands of cubic metres of so-called low- and intermediate-level nuclear waste to be buried 680 metres underground in the bedrock.

Proponents argue the rock is geologically stable and would provide a hermetic seal to prevent any radioactivity reaching the lake about 1.2 kilometres away for tens of thousands of years.

However, almost 200 communities and environmental groups have argued that such a facility, despite OPG's arguments, would be too risky given the proximity to Lake Huron. Any contamination, they say, could threaten drinking water for millions of people.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Chase with stolen UPS truck ends with deadly shootout in Florida

    World News CBC News
    Police said there were multiple fatalities Thursday after a UPS driver in Florida was kidnapped by at least two robbery suspects who led police on a two-county chase that ended in gunfire at a busy intersection during rush hour. Source
  • Tories, NDP won't support throne speech but Bloc will back Liberals' agenda if it comes to vote

    Canada News CBC News
    The Conservatives and the New Democrats are against it, but the Bloc Québécois supports it, so should the throne speech be put to a vote in the House of Commons, it has enough support to pass. Source
  • Uber received more than 3,000 reports of sexual assaults in U.S. in 2018

    World News CBC News
    Ride-hailing firm Uber Technologies said Thursday it received more than 3,000 reports of sexual assault, including rape, related to its trips in the United States in 2018 — a time when it operated roughly 1.3 billion rides. Source
  • British cave diver suing Elon Musk says he has no need to apologize to Tesla chief

    World News CBC News
    The British cave explorer suing Elon Musk for calling him a "pedo guy" on Twitter testified Thursday that his criticism of the Tesla CEO that led to the tweet was not a personal attack. In the defamation trial's third day, Vernon Unsworth also refused to apologize for a July 13, 2018, CNN interview in which he said that Musk's offer of a mini-submarine to help rescue a boys' soccer team from a flooded Thailand cave was a "PR stunt" and Musk could "stick his submarine where it hurts. Source
  • Royal Canadian Legion says online swindlers are trading on its name

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- The Royal Canadian Legion is shutting down unauthorized retailers using its trademarked poppy symbol to sell merchandise on sites such as Facebook, Amazon and Shopify. According to the legion, some of these companies are even falsely claiming to be connected to the legion or that they’re donating proceeds from their sales to the legion. Source
  • Chase with stolen UPS truck ends with shootout, 4 dead

    World News CTV News
    MIAMI -- Four people, including a UPS driver, were killed Thursday after robbers stole the driver's truck and led police on a chase that ended in gunfire at a busy Florida intersection during rush hour, a law enforcement official said. Source
  • RCMP to get more money to settle sexual harassment lawsuit

    Canada News CBC News
    The federal government is promising to give the Royal Canadian Mounted Police more money to cover a historic class-action lawsuit after more women than originally expected came forward with stories of harassment and sexual abuse. Today, Treasury Board President Jean-Yves Duclos tabled the supplementary estimates in the House of Commons, which includes a top-up of more than $50 million for the RCMP to cover the out-of-court settlement. Source
  • Violence against health workers complicating measles outbreak in Ebola-ravaged Congo

    World News CBC News
    Violence against health workers in the Democratic Republic of Congo is complicating the response to a massive measles outbreak and accelerating the spread of the disease, which has claimed twice as many lives than an ongoing Ebola epidemic. Source
  • Chinese ambassador warns Canada against adopting motion calling for sanctions

    Canada News CBC News
    China's ambassador to Canada is threatening what he called "very firm countermeasures" should Parliament adopt a motion calling for sanctions against Chinese leaders. Ambassador Cong Peiwu reacted today to comments by two Conservative senators who are planning to table a motion next week calling on the Trudeau government to impose sanctions on China for its alleged human rights abuses. Source
  • Supreme Court won't hear appeal from former Nazi death squad member

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- Jewish groups across the country hailed the Supreme Court's decision not to allow an elderly man who lied about his time working for a Nazi death squad to continue his fight to retain Canadian citizenship, while his family decried the move as a miscarriage of justice. Source