Refugee family loses $400 to phone scam offering English lessons

SAINT JOHN, N.B. -- A family of Syrian refugees in New Brunswick has lost about $400 after falling prey to a phone scam offering lessons to teach the English language.

See Full Article

Saint John Police Sgt. Lori Magee says the family was contacted Monday by someone seeking money and banking information in exchange for the lessons.

She says once the family's interpreter learned of the scam, he called the bank and police, but the money had already been taken from an account.

Magee says police and other community stakeholders have organized a meeting next week to advise Syrian refugee families in the area about the various services that are available to them.

She says they'll also discuss phone scams and the seriousness of providing personal information over the phone.

Magee says it's difficult to nab people conducting phone scams because they often use untraceable phones or set up false accounts.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Why Canadians can't look away from the U.S. presidential election

    World News CTV News
    It's a reflex many Canadians can't shake; watching the U.S. election campaign is like rubber-necking a car crash across the highway. It's riveting, at times terrifying. Above all, you fear the debris could actually fall your way. Source
  • U.S., Russia appear on track to extend nuclear arms pact

    World News CBC News
    Russia said Tuesday it's ready to accept a U.S. proposal to freeze the number of nuclear warheads and extend the nations' last arms control pact for one year and Washington responded that it's prepared to make a quick deal. Source
  • Armed men free 1,300 prisoners from east Congo jail in co-ordinated attack

    World News CBC News
    Armed men freed more than 1,300 prisoners from a jail in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo in a co-ordinated attack on Tuesday, the town's mayor said, blaming an Islamist militant group operating in the area. Only 110 of 1,456 inmates, including a number of militia fighters, remained following the simultaneous early-morning assaults on the Kangbayi central prison in Beni and the military camp defending it, said Modeste Bakwanamaha. Source
  • As his health declines, Glen Assoun seeks compensation for wrongful conviction

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Glen Assoun says he's fearful he'll die before governments offer him compensation for almost 17 years of wrongful imprisonment that have left him with a weak heart and fragile health. The 64-year-old Halifax man said in an interview Monday he has to lie down frequently, he lacks energy and his doctor told him his coronary system is operating at one third of its normal capacity. Source
  • Quebec reports 877 new cases of COVID-19, 12 more deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec health authorities reported 877 new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday, bringing the total number of cases in the province since the start of the pandemic to 95,216. Health officials also removed 90 older cases from the provincial toll on Tuesday after coming to the conclusion that those tests were false positives. Source
  • Const. Daniel Montsion not guilty in death of Abdirahman Abdi

    Canada News CBC News
    Ottawa police Const. Daniel Montsion has been found not guilty of manslaughter, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon in connection with the 2016 death of Abdirahman Abdi. Abdi, a 37-year-old Black man, died following a confrontation with Ottawa police on July 24, 2016. Source
  • Trump says Fauci is 'terrific guy' but not 'team player'

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- A day after claiming that the American people are tired of listening to Dr. Anthony Fauci, U.S. President Donald Trump insisted Tuesday that he gets along with the nation's top infectious disease specialist while also complaining the doctor who has clashed with him at times over the coronavirus is not a "team player. Source
  • U.S. Justice Department files antitrust lawsuit against Google

    World News CBC News
    The United States Justice Department on Tuesday sued Google for antitrust violations, alleging that it abused its dominance in online search and advertising to stifle competition and harm consumers. The lawsuit marks the government's most significant act to protect competition since its groundbreaking case against Microsoft more than 20 years ago. Source
  • Ontario records another significant spike in new COVID-19 cases

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario is reporting another spike in the number of new COVID-19 cases, recording more than 800 new infections. Health officials confirms 821 new infections on Tuesday, which is a large increase from the 704 cases reported on Monday and 658 on Sunday. Source
  • Ontario extends COVID-19 orders for another 30 days amid second wave

    Canada News CTV News
    Ontario has extended a number of COVID-19 orders until mid-November as the province grapples with the second wave of the disease. In a news release issued late Tuesday morning, the Progressive Conservative government said that the extension will apply to all orders under the Reopening Ontario Act except those that deal with hydro prices and access to electronic personal health information. Source