Machete-attack hero describes the fight: 'He was swinging to kill'

FREDERICTON -- The bloodshed began with a knock on the classroom door.

James Raoul was among about 15 students in an Eastern College criminology class around 8:30 a.m.

See Full Article

on Jan. 20, 2014, when fellow student Luke Powers arrived late.

"There was a knock at the door. It was him. He had a bag. He mumbled something. He took the machete out of the bag and came at me," Raoul said Friday, as he prepared to be decorated on Monday by Governor General David Johnston for his actions in the ensuing attack.

Raoul, a 31-year-old former soldier and father of two boys, likely saved his instructor's life as Powers swung the machete savagely around the classroom.

"There was a lot of blood. Bad wounds. He was swinging to kill. But she blocked it," said Raoul.

He and another Eastern College student who helped subdue Powers, Sylvain Pedneault, will be among 31 Canadians given Medals of Bravery for acts of heroism.

In his first interview since the attack, Raoul said Powers had been a friend. The two had trained briefly together in the Forces before Powers was medically discharged after an injury, and Raoul tried to look out for him when they found themselves at Eastern together.

"If anything, I would say I was his only friend in the world. Once we started school together, I reached out."

Raoul, who is originally from Sydney, N.S., said he usually picks Powers up on the way to school, but Powers had told him that morning he'd meet him there.

When Powers arrived and pulled out the 16-inch machete, he went directly at Raoul, who was sitting four seats back.

"Had I not put up my hands, I don't know what damage would have been done."

The teacher yelled at Powers to stop, and he immediately turned and ran at her. He was athletic and fit, and started swinging the machete at her.

"He almost cut off her hand," said Raoul, who was dazed and bloody from his own wounds but ran to help her.

"He managed to hit her a couple times before I realized what was happening and got out of my seat."

Raoul said he knocked Powers hard into a corner by pushing a long table into him, and then flipped the table at him. Raoul grabbed the arm holding the machete and threw Powers against one wall, then another, before the pair fell to the ground and rolled out to the hallway.

"It was intense. I was bleeding and it was all over my face and starting to get hard to see."

Pedneault, who was in a nearby classroom and heard the yells for help, jumped in. Once Powers was pinned, Raoul took off his shirt to clean the blood from his face and put pressure on the wound on his forehead.

Pedneault was bitten during the struggle, and has other cuts to his hand too. But the instructor - who Raoul said was "the best I ever had" - suffered the most injuries, with wounds to her hand, arms, and the back of her head.

"The poor lady had her life ruined by this attack, and my heart breaks for her."

The drama lasted no more than two minutes, and Raoul said two years later he still doesn't know why it happened. Powers pleaded guilty to three charges, but was found not criminally responsible in April, 2014. He is confined to a psychiatric hospital.

"Do I agree with it? No," Raoul said of the not-culpable finding. "Do I have to live with it? Yes."

"What his motives were, only he knows."

A friend theorized that Powers, who was also carrying a knife, intentionally targeted the biggest guy first in a room full of young smaller females and small men.

"Had he taken me out, the rest would have been easy pickings."

Raoul is now unemployed, and said he is looking for work but it is difficult in New Brunswick when you're not bilingual.

"I'm a veteran, so I get priority hiring. I'm scouring the job banks."

On Monday, he and Pedneault will get the Medal of Bravery in a ceremony at the Citadelle of Quebec.

By Rob Roberts in Halifax



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Fraud case charges stayed because of judge shortage in Ontario Superior Court

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Five men accused in an alleged multimillion-dollar fraud scheme have had all charges against them stayed because of a shortage of judges in Ontario's Superior Court of Justice. Earlier this year, a judge attempting to set a trial date for the five accused said they could not come before the courts until at least January 2019. Source
  • Newly released video from Brazil shows man believed to be last of tribe

    World News CTV News
    SAO PAULO -- No one knows his name. No one knows the name of the people he came from. And he appears to have lived alone in Brazil's Amazon for 22 years. Video released for this first time this week by Brazil's Indian Foundation shows rare images of a so-called uncontacted indigenous man who is believed to be the last surviving member of his tribe. Source
  • Man charged with attempted murder of 5-year-old makes court appearance

    Canada News CTV News
    The 28-year-old man charged with the attempted murder of a 5-year-old Brampton, Ont. boy appeared in court on Friday. Dyon Smart has been remanded in custody and will make his next court appearance on July 25. Source
  • 'The Jay Z of St.-T': Rapper runs for mayor in St. Thomas, Ont.

    Canada News CTV News
    Three years ago, rap artist Malichi Male was driving to a gig in London, Ont. when he got lost. Male took a wrong turn and ended up in St. Thomas, a quiet community about 27 kilometres south of his destination. Source
  • MGM turns to never-tested law to sue Vegas shooting victims

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- The unprecedented move from MGM Resorts International to sue hundreds of victims of last year's mass shooting in Las Vegas using an obscure U.S. law never tested in court has been framed by the casino-operator as an effort to avoid years of costly litigation -- but the legal manoeuvr may not play out that way. Source
  • 4-year-old boy shoots, kills 2-year-old cousin in California: police

    World News CTV News
    SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- Authorities say a 4-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his 2-year-old cousin at a home in Southern California. San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman Cindy Bachman says the shooting occurred Friday morning in the Muscoy area, east of Los Angeles. Source
  • Technical and stage workers locked out at Toronto's Exhibition Place

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Workers who provide technical and staging expertise for events in major venues at Toronto's Exhibition Place have been locked out. International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 58 says the lockout comes after months of negotiations for a new collective agreement. Source
  • Woman 'livid' after Air Canada allegedly failed to put mother’s remains on connecting flight

    Canada News CTV News
    A Brampton, Ont. woman says her mother’s remains spent days in an unrefrigerated Miami warehouse after Air Canada allegedly failed to transfer them to a connecting flight on time. “I’m livid,” Dion De Freitas told CTV Toronto. Source
  • U.S. making 'great progress' reuniting migrant families: judge

    World News CTV News
    SAN DIEGO -- A federal judge says the Trump administration is making "great progress" toward meeting a Thursday deadline to reunite more than 2,500 children with their families after they were separated at the border. Source
  • Quebec pilot project to introduce sexual education to daycare-aged kids

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Some 1,200 Quebec daycare and kindergarten students will begin receiving age-appropriate sexual education this fall as part of a pilot project. The project will be run by the Marie-Vincent Foundation, which fights sexual abuse of children and teenagers. Source