Canadian diplomat's son pleads guilty in Miami

The 15-year-old son of a Canadian diplomat has pleaded guilty in Miami to four charges, including two counts of third-degree felony murder.

See Full Article

In exchange, Marc Wabafiyebazu, of Ottawa, has received what amounts to a conditional sentence of boot camp, community supervision and up to eight years' probation.

If the teen fulfills the sentencing conditions, no conviction will be registered.

He had been charged with first-degree murder, which carries a minimum 40 years in prison.

Wabafiyebazu was arrested last March after his 18-year-old brother Jean Wabafiyebazu and another teen were shot dead.

Police alleged the gunfire erupted when the older sibling tried to rob a drug dealer of 800 grams of marijuana.

An unarmed Wabafiyebazu was waiting outside at the time, but authorities said he had been party to the botched robbery and charged him as an adult with murder.

The teen's mother, Roxanne Dube, was Canada's consul general to Miami at the time of the killings.

"I am very grateful," Dube said. "Marc has his future."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Trump recounts minute-by-minute details of Soleimani strike to donors at Mar-a-Lago

    World News CTV News
    U.S. President Trump recounted minute-by-minute details of the strike that killed Iran's top military commander during remarks to high-dollar Republican donors at his South Florida estate, according to audio obtained by CNN. Trump, speaking at a GOP fundraising dinner Friday evening, offered new details about the strike that killed Gen. Source
  • Thousands gather for Women's March rallies across the U.S.

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Thousands gathered in cities across the country Saturday as part of the nationwide Women's March rallies focused on issues such as climate change, pay equity, reproductive rights and immigration. Hundred showed up in New York City and thousands in Washington, D.C. Source
  • House Dems to outline case for removing Trump from office

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- House Democrats were preparing to outline their case for removing U.S. President Donald Trump from office in a legal brief due Saturday, as opposing sides in the impeachment case look ahead to the opening of the historic trial in the Senate. Source
  • More than 150 injured after police, protesters clash in Lebanon's capital

    World News CBC News
    Riot police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannons near parliament in Lebanon's capital Saturday to disperse thousands of protesters after riots broke out during a march against the ruling elite amid a severe economic crisis. Source
  • Lebanon police fire tear gas, water cannons at protesters amid Beirut riots

    World News CBC News
    Riot police fired tear gas and sprayed water cannons near parliament in Lebanon's capital Saturday to disperse thousands of protesters after riots broke out during a march against the ruling elite amid a severe economic crisis. Source
  • Prince Harry and Meghan give up royal titles, public funding

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will no longer be working members of the Royal Family and will, therefore, no longer use their royal titles or taxpayer money, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace released Saturday. Source
  • Prince Harry and Meghan will give up royal titles, public funding

    World News CBC News
    Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, will no longer be working members of the Royal Family and will, therefore, no longer use their royal titles or taxpayer money, according to a statement from Buckingham Palace released Saturday. Source
  • Harry and Meghan will no longer use royal titles, receive public funds for duties

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Harry and Meghan will no longer use their "royal highness" titles or receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.Sign up for our Royal Dispatch newsletter for all the latest Royal news Source
  • Prince Harry, Meghan will no longer use 'royal highness' titles

    World News CTV News
    TORONTO -- v> Prince Harry and Meghan will no longer use their 'royal highness' titles or receive public funds for royal duties, Buckingham Palace announced Saturday.Sign up for our Royal Dispatch newsletter for all the latest Royal news Source
  • Protests close Louvre museum in Paris amid pension strikes

    World News CBC News
    Dozens of protesters blocked the entrance to the Louvre museum and forced the famous Paris landmark to close Friday while they denounced the French government's plans to overhaul the pension system. Protesters later chased down President Emmanuel Macron at an evening theatre performance in northern Paris. Source