Decision on burying nuclear waste near Lake Huron delayed for more study

TORONTO -- The federal government has again delayed a decision on Ontario Power Generation's plan to bury nuclear waste at the Bruce Nuclear site near Lake Huron.

See Full Article

OPG says the federal government has said it won't make a decision as planned on March 1 and says Environment Minister Catherine McKenna has instead has requested three studies.

The utility says Ottawa wants an updated analysis of potential combined environmental effects of the site, an updated list of OPG's commitments to mitigate any identified effects, and a study into the environmental effects of alternate sites.

OPG says it maintains that a deep geologic repository is the right answer for Ontario's low and intermediate level waste, and that the Kincardine, Ont., site is the right location.

The proposed facility would store about 200-thousand cubic metres of low and intermediate level waste from more than 40 years operating Ontario's nuclear stations.

OPG says it would permanently isolate and contain the waste 680 metres underground, ensuring protection of the water and the environment.

Stop the Great Lakes Nuclear Dump -- a group opposed to the project -- last month sent a 92-thousand-signature petition outlining its concerns to McKenna.

And a group spokeswoman said more than 180 resolutions have been passed on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border condemning the plan.

A Canadian environmental assessment released last May concluded the OPG plan was the best way to deal with the waste, and found little risk to the lake.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • French beahces closed as bricks of cocaine mysteriously wash ashore

    World News CTV News
    Authorities have closed beaches in southwest France as packages of cocaine continue to mysteriously wash up along the country's Atlantic coast, with more than 1,000 kilograms discovered since mid-October, a prosecutor said Tuesday. The packages are now being found farther north, with a five-kilo parcel turning up at Camaret-sur-Mer on the western tip of Brittany on Tuesday, Philippe Astruc, the public prosecutor in Rennes, told AFP. Source
  • FBI investigating killing of U.S. women and children in Mexico

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - FBI agents are in Mexico helping investigate the fatal shootings of nine American women and children in northern Mexico last week. FBI spokeswoman Lauren Hagee said Tuesday that agents are “providing assistance at the invitation of the Mexican Government. Source
  • Police identify, charge suspect in fatal Popeyes stabbing

    World News CTV News
    UPPER MARLBORO, Md. -- Police say they have identified and charged a suspect wanted in the fatal stabbing of a man outside a Popeyes restaurant in Maryland. The Prince George's County Police Department said in news release Tuesday that 30-year-old Ricoh McClain is wanted on murder charges in the death of 28-year-old Kevin Tyrell Davis. Source
  • Australia's highest court will hear Cardinal Pell's appeal

    World News CTV News
    CANBERRA, Australia -- Australia's highest court agreed Wednesday to hear an appeal from the most senior Catholic to be found guilty of sexually abusing children, giving Cardinal George Pell his last chance at getting his convictions overturned. Source
  • Uncertainty in Bolivia as senator claims interim presidency

    World News CTV News
    LA PAZ, Bolivia -- Bolivians have new uncertainty to grapple with now that opposition Sen. Jeanine Anez declared herself interim president of the crisis-torn Andean country just hours after Evo Morales flew off to self-exile in Mexico. Source
  • Police raise security around Hong Kong after night clashes

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG -- Police increased security around Hong Kong and its university campuses Wednesday as they braced for more violence after sharp clashes overnight with anti-government protesters. Many subway and rail stations were closed after the protesters blocked commutes and vandalized trains. Source
  • Australian wildfires injure firefighters and destroy homes

    World News CTV News
    CANBERRA, Australia -- More than 50 homes were damaged or destroyed and 13 firefighters were injured overnight by catastrophic wildfires across Australia's most populous state before the emergency subsided on Wednesday, officials said. At point on Tuesday, 16 fires raged out of control at emergency level simultaneously across New South Wales, a near record number. Source
  • Australian wildfires destroy homes and force evacuations

    World News CTV News
    CANBERRA, Australia -- Scores of wildfires continued to rage across vast tracts of Australia's drought-stricken east coast on Wednesday, forcing hundreds of residents to evacuate their homes, some for the second time in a week. Source
  • Australians ordered to flee as firefighters struggle to contain bush fires

    World News CBC News
    Australian officials ordered people in several communities, including a major tourist destination, to flee immediately on Wednesday as firefighters struggled to contain bush fires raging across the country's east coast. While a cool change overnight brought some relief for firefighters in New South Wales (NSW) state, attention shifted to its northern neighbour Queensland, where hot, dry and windy conditions had created a severe fire danger. Source
  • Australians shelter and flee as firefighters battle 150 bushfires

    World News CBC News
    Australian officials ordered people in several communities, including a major tourist destination, to flee immediately on Wednesday as firefighters struggled to contain bush fires raging across the country's east coast. While a cool change overnight brought some relief for firefighters in New South Wales (NSW) state, attention shifted to its northern neighbour Queensland, where hot, dry and windy conditions had created a severe fire danger. Source