Ottawa drops appeal of Omar Khadr's bail

TORONTO -- The federal government has decided against pursuing an appeal of an Alberta court's decision to grant former Guantanamo Bay inmate Omar Khadr bail.

See Full Article

The decision came in a joint statement Thursday from Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould.

"The government of Canada respects the decision of the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta, which determined that Mr. Khadr be released on bail in Canada pending his U.S. appeal of his U.S. convictions and sentence," the statement said.

"Withdrawing this appeal is an important step towards fulfilling the government's commitment to review its litigation strategy."

The decision caught one of Khadr's lawyers by pleasant surprise.

"We're pleased with the government's decision. We think it's the right decision. We never did think there was much merit to this appeal," Nate Whitling said in Toronto.

"Now Omar can get on with his reintegration."

The Liberal government decision is a sharp break from its Conservative predecessor, which fought hard to keep Khadr behind bars for the duration of his sentence.

Khadr, 29, was freed on bail last May after almost 13 years behind bars -- four of them as a convicted war criminal. He has since been living with his lawyer, Dennis Edney, in Edmonton without incident.

The Americans captured a grievously wounded Khadr in Afghanistan in July 2002 when he was 15 years old. He was soon sent to Guantanamo Bay, where he was charged with several war crimes before a widely discredited Military Commission.

Khadr ultimately pleaded guilty in October 2010 to five war crimes -- including murder in the death of a U.S. special forces soldier. In exchange, the commission handed him a further eight-year sentence.

He returned to Canada in 2012 under an international transfer treaty, and later said he had only pleaded guilty to get out of the notorious prison.

In April last year, Alberta Court of Queen's Bench Justice June Ross granted his bid for bail while he appeals his war crimes conviction -- an appeal that could still take years.

Khadr's lawyers argued the offences to which he pleaded guilty were not crimes at the time and the military commission had no jurisdiction to try him.

His $20-million civil lawsuit that claims the government conspired with the Americans to torture him and breach his rights is still ongoing.

Khadr's late father was a friend of terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and his mother has previously angered Canadians by expressing support for al Qaeda.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Dieppe: Veterans return to site of Canada’s deadliest day in WWII

    Canada News CTV News
    More than 900 Canadian soldiers were killed in the French coastal town of Dieppe on August 19, 1942, the bloodiest day for Canada in the entirety of the Second World War. Saturday will mark the 75th anniversary of the Dieppe Raid. Source
  • Steve Bannon 'going to war' at Breitbart after Trump ousts White House Chief Strategist [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Steve Bannon, a forceful but divisive presence in President Donald Trump’s White House, is leaving. Trump accepted Bannon’s resignation on Friday, ending a turbulent seven months for his chief strategist, the latest to depart from the president’s administration in turmoil. Source
  • John McCain completes round of radiation, chemo for brain cancer

    World News CTV News
    PHOENIX -- The daughter of U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona says the 80-year-old lawmaker has completed the first round of radiation and chemotherapy as he battles an aggressive form of brain cancer. Meghan McCain also tweeted Friday afternoon that her father's "resilience & strength is incredible. Source
  • U.S. denies Alberta man's request to visit sick mom with brain tumour

    Canada News CTV News
    A Canadian permanent resident is hoping for a miracle after the United States rejected his request to visit his ailing mother, who is suffering from a brain tumour. Alan Arellano grew up in San Diego, where his mother Theresa still lives. Source
  • Lucky loon sought out Alberta campers to save it from fishing gear

    Canada News CTV News
    NORDEGG, Alta. -- This is a story about one lucky loon. Don Gibson was standing with his family on a dock in Fish Lake Provincial Park in west-central Alberta last weekend when he noticed a normally standoffish loon -- one of a group of five that call the lake home -- swimming toward them. Source
  • Photographer faces $185M lawsuit over photos of underage ballet dancers

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    They were aspiring ballet dancers who travelled from Toronto and cities across Canada to realize their dreams at the renowned Royal Winnipeg Ballet School. But in a proposed $185 million class action lawsuit filed by Sarah Doucet of Toronto on behalf of her fellow underage students, she alleges they were coerced into posing for lurid photos by teacher Bruce Monk who then sold their images online without their knowledge or consent. Source
  • Canadian killed in Barcelona terror attack identified as PM confirms four others injured

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has confirmed one Canadian was killed and four others were hurt Thursday when a van plowed into crowds of tourists on a popular street in Barcelona. Trudeau is offering his condolences to the family members and friends of those injured. Source
  • Dark day at Dieppe remembered 75 years later

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    There has never been a worse — or bloodier — day in Canada’s long, proud military history than Aug. 19, 1942. Seventy-five years ago today, 5,000 Canadians, accompanied by 1,000 British commandos and a handful of U.S. Source
  • Billionaire investor Carl Icahn steps down as Trump economic advisor

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has lost another informal adviser from the business world: billionaire investor Carl Icahn, who gave the White House guidance on its deregulation efforts. Icahn said in a letter to Trump released Friday that he is stepping down to prevent “partisan bickering” about his unofficial role that Democrats suggested could benefit him financially. Source
  • Jihadists behind Barcelona terror attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    Moussa Oukabir was a “good boy.” Now, he’s toe-tagged in a Spanish morgue ventilated by police bullets. If not the mastermind behind the heinous slaughter of innocents in Barcelona, the 17-year-old has become the face of the ISIS cabal behind it. Source