Lawyer says blacks 'don't feel at home' in N.S. courts after sex case dropped

HALIFAX -- A Halifax lawyer questioned the racial fairness of Nova Scotia's legal system after a sex assault case against him ended Thursday with the charge being formally withdrawn.

See Full Article

Lyle Howe, who was accused of sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman in 2011, was originally found guilty by a jury in May 2014.

Howe spent two weeks in custody after being sentenced to three years in jail in July, 2014.

His conviction was overturned on appeal last fall and a new trial was ordered.

"My family and I went through hell," Howe said outside Nova Scotia Supreme Court following a short hearing.

"I feel a bit of a weight lifted off but to be quite frank there is still a weight there that shouldn't be there."

Howe was critical of a legal process that saw "zero African-Nova Scotian" jurors in his case -- the lone black juror was an international student -- and he added that he had "huge issues" with a system that has a lack of black judges.

He said it appears little had changed in the decades since the Donald Marshall inquiry found systemic racism in the province's legal system.

"As a black person coming into this building (court) . . . I don't feel at home," said Howe. "We should feel that when we step into the court that we are actually getting a fair shake equal to what a white person would and I don't feel that way."

Crown attorney Dan Rideout said the decision not to proceed with another trial was made out of respect for the wishes of the complainant and that without her testimony there was no realistic prospect of a conviction.

"We had considered the unique nature of the case including several days of gruelling testimony that she had to go through the first time as well as other things that would have impacted and influenced her decision," said Rideout.

Howe disputed the Crown's reasoning, saying it could have compelled the complainant to testify and didn't because "there was no case."

During the original trial, the young woman testified that she was impaired and did not consent to sex with Howe at her Halifax apartment.

Howe argued that the sex was consensual, and the appeal court ruled that the trial judge should have instructed Howe's jury to consider the defence of honest but mistaken belief in consent.

The complainant's name is under a publication ban, but was posted on Facebook by a supporter of Howe. David Winslow Sparks, 62, was fined $1,950 and sentenced to a year's probation for breaking the ban last March.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 4th Ontario police officer takes his life in nine months

    Canada News CTV News
    Police advocates say it is time for action to help officers struggling with mental health after another Ontario officer took his life Wednesday. Ottawa-area Const. Roch Durivage is the fourth member of the Ontario Provincial Police to die by suicide since July. Source
  • China has stopped buying Canadian canola seed

    Canada News CBC News
    Chinese importers are unwilling to purchase Canadian canola seed at the moment, the group that represents the industry in Canada says. Earlier this month, Chinese customs authorities revoked the sales licence for a major Canadian canola supplier, Richardson International. Source
  • What is the 'Florida man' challenge and why is it trending online?

    World News CTV News
    A glut of bizarre stories from the Sunshine State have helped “Florida man” become the latest challenge sweeping social media. The game sees players Google “Florida man” and their birthday, without the year, to see what headline appears at the top of their search results. Source
  • UN human rights council condemns use of 'excessive force' by Israel at Gaza border

    World News CBC News
    The United Nations Human Rights Council on Friday condemned Israel's "apparent intentional use of unlawful lethal and other excessive force" against civilian protesters in Gaza, and called for perpetrators of violations in the strip to face justice. Source
  • U.S. teachers shot with pellet guns during active-shooter drill

    World News CTV News
    Several teachers at an Indiana elementary school were injured after they were told to kneel and then shot with plastic pellets “execution style” during an active-shooter drill, according to the Indiana State Teachers Association. The association said law enforcement members led teachers from Meadowlawn Elementary School in Monticello, Ind. Source
  • EU, Syria reject Trump's statement on Israeli sovereignty over Golan Heights

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump's abrupt declaration that Washington will recognize Israel's sovereignty over the disputed Golan Heights drew strong condemnation from Syria, while the European Union and countries like Egypt and Russia also rejecting the overture. The Syrian government called it "irresponsible," and a threat to international peace and stability. Source
  • Drink, pray, recycle: Meet the Hay River nun raising money for music

    Canada News CBC News
    A Catholic nun who retired from teaching has raised thousands of dollars for community projects with her simple, but streamlined, bottle recycling program in Hay River, N.W.T. Sister Maggie Beaudette, 71, raises about $2,000 every year by accepting, sorting and cashing-in refundable beer cans, pop bottles and milk jugs. Source
  • N.Z. calls for solidarity at Muslim summit as Erdogan again screens shooter video

    World News CTV News
    ISTANBUL -- New Zealand's deputy prime minister said the gunman accused of killing 50 people in two mosques in the South Pacific nation would spend the rest of his life in isolation in prison and called for solidarity to eradicate “hate-filled ideologies. Source
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency recalls Janes brand chicken nuggets

    Canada News CBC News
    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has announced the recall of Janes brand pub style chicken nuggets because they could be contaminated with salmonella. The recall affects uncooked 800g breaded chicken nuggets with a best before date of Dec. 15, 2019. Source
  • Cyclone Idai deaths could exceed 1,000 in southern Africa

    World News CBC News
    Even as floodwaters began to recede in parts of Mozambique on Friday, fears rose that the death toll could soar as bodies are revealed. The number of deaths could be beyond the 1,000 predicted by the country's president earlier this week, said Elhadj As Sy, the secretary-general of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies Source