N.B. judge denies Dennis Oland bail pending appeal

FREDERICTON -- A judge has denied bail to convicted murderer Dennis Oland, saying releasing him pending his appeal would undermine public faith in the justice system.

See Full Article

Oland was sentenced last week to life in prison with no chance of parole for 10 years for the 2011 second-degree murder of his multi-millionaire father, Richard Oland, but had asked to be freed while he appeals his conviction.

"Should Mr. Oland be released in these circumstances, the confidence of the reasonable member of the public in the administration of criminal justice would be undermined," Justice Marc Richard told a packed courtroom on Wednesday.

No convicted murderer had ever been granted bail while awaiting appeal in New Brunswick.

Wearing the same brown suit and blue shirt he has repeatedly worn to court, Oland, 48, showed no reaction while being led away as family members wept and hugged each other.

"Today's decision is difficult to accept," Dennis Oland's mother, Connie, and wife, Lisa, said in a statement issued by the family's lawyer, Bill Teed.

"We know Dennis has been wrongly convicted and are confident our appeal will see justice prevail. His prolonged absence will be incredibly difficult and only serves to further compound the loss and anguish our family has suffered since Dick's murder.

"We will continue our long legal battle by pursuing every option to prove Dennis's innocence. We will not rest until he is home and Dick's killer is found."

Defence lawyer Alan Gold argued last week that Oland is willing to abide by all conditions and that his client's mother and uncle are willing to post $400,000 surety.

Richard said Oland met two of the three conditions needed to win bail -- the appeal was not frivolous, and he could be expected to abide by terms of the release.

But the judge said that Oland, though no danger to the public at large, nonetheless failed to establish that his detention is not necessary in the public interest.

Releasing Oland pending an appeal might undermine public confidence in the administration of justice, the judge said.

"Although the grounds of appeal may be clearly arguable, none fall in the category of the unique circumstances that would virtually assure a new trial or an acquittal," Richard said.

The elder Oland was found bludgeoned in his Saint John office in July 2011. He had suffered 45 blunt and sharp force blows to his head, neck and hands. No murder weapon was ever found.

In its notice of appeal, the defence argues that the verdict was "an unreasonable verdict in law and not one that a reasonable jury, properly instructed, could judicially have arrived at."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Tears, fears at emotional memorial for slain Burnaby teen [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    Dozens gathered Saturday night at a memorial for Marrisa Shen, the Burnaby teen whose body was found in Central Park four days ago. Shen, 13, was reported missing at 11:30 p.m Tuesday and her body was found in the southeast area of Central Park at 1:10 a.m. Source
  • Plane crashes north of Sudbury, Ont.; pilot and canine companion OK

    Canada News CTV News
    SUDBURY, Ont. -- Police say they've located a plane that crashed north of Sudbury, Ont., late Sunday afternoon. They say the pilot and his canine companion are in good health. Sudbury police say the pilot was taken to hospital as a precaution. Source
  • 9 people found dead in truck outside Walmart store in Texas [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    SAN ANTONIO - Eight people were found dead in a tractor-trailer loaded with at least 30 others outside a Walmart store in Texas’ stifling summer heat in what police are calling a horrific human trafficking case. Source
  • Beloved honorary cat mayor in small Alaska town dies at 20

    World News CTV News
    TALKEETNA, Alaska -- Stubbs, the honorary feline mayor of the Alaska town of Talkeetna, has died at the age of 20. The animal's owners announced the cat's death late Saturday in a statement. "Stubbs lived for 20 years and 3 months," the family wrote. Source
  • Venezuela's Maduro vows to forge ahead with election to replace Congress

    World News CBC News
    Defying pressure from abroad and at home, Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro said on Sunday that a controversial election would go ahead next weekend for a new Congress his foes fear will institutionalize dictatorship. "The imperial right wing believes it can give orders to Venezuela, the only ones who give orders here are the people," Maduro said in reference to a threat from U.S. Source
  • Day after historic merger vote, some lament death of Alberta's historic PC party

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- The former president of Alberta's Progressive Conservatives says some members feel adrift after a majority voted to embrace a new party, effectively consigning one of Canada's great political brands to the ash heap of history. Source
  • 5.4 magnitude earthquake jolts southern Iran

    World News CTV News
    TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian state TV is reporting a strong 5.4 magnitude earthquake has led to a power outage in a remote area in the country's south. The quake that struck at around 10 p.m. Source
  • Man dies after early-morning 10 metre fall on Mount-Royal in Montreal

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- A man in his thirties is dead after slipping and falling about 10 metres on Montreal's Mount-Royal early Sunday morning. The man was walking with his wife at about 4 a.m. when he lost his footing. Source
  • Yemen's president sacks governor accused of ties to al-Qaeda

    World News CTV News
    SANAA, Yemen -- Yemen's president has sacked a governor who was sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury Department for his ties with al-Qaida. The presidential decree by Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi was issued on Sunday. Source
  • 1 killed, 2 wounded at Israeli embassy in Jordan

    World News CBC News
    One man was killed and another two were wounded by gunfire Sunday in a residential building in the heavily fortified Israeli embassy compound in Jordan's capital, the kingdom's Public Security Directorate said. Before the shooting, Jordanians had entered the apartment building for carpentry work, the statement said. Source