'This is not a joke': Cape Breton offered as refuge from Donald Trump presidency

Americans, fear not.

If Donald Trump wins the upcoming U.S. election, Cape Breton Island is ready to welcome Americans looking for refuge in Canada.

See Full Article

Sydney, N.S. native Rob Calabrese launched the tongue-in-cheek website, "Cape Breton If Donald Trump Wins," on Tuesday.

The website has since amassed about 10,000 hits and Calabrese said he has received serious inquiries from Americans about life on the island and Canadian immigration requirements.

"There are millions of people on this continent who, if they knew about the lifestyle here on Cape Breton they would think, 'This is for me," Calabrese told CTV Atlantic on Tuesday.

The website showcases some of the best scenery from the island. It also addresses some of Trump's more controversial policy proposals, such as banning Muslims from entering the U.S., and building a giant wall along the Mexican border.

"Muslim people can roam freely, and the only 'walls' are holding up the roofs of our extremely affordable houses," Calabrese writes on the website.

"This is not a joke," he adds. "You belong here with us on Cape Breton Island, where health care is free, you know your neighbours and they look out for you, and nobody has a handgun!"

Calabrese, a radio DJ, also points out that summers on the island are "delightful" and winters are very similar to what’s experienced in the Northeast U.S.

Website visitors looking for more information are directed to the Cape Breton Island tourism website.

Destination Cape Breton CEO Mary Tulle said on Tuesday alone the organization’s website has received more than 2,000 hits from south of the border, including Delaware, Florida, Texas and Oregon.

Tulle said Calabrese's website has caught the attention of many individuals who may have never heard of Cape Breton Island.

Meanwhile, Calabrese said he understands why Americans would consider relocating if the controversial Republican presidential candidate makes his way to the White House.

"It's scary," he said. "I know I wouldn't want to live in a country where he's leader."

With a report from CTV Atlantic



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Hockey Canada dropping 'midget,' other traditional minor age group names

    Canada News CBC News
    Hockey Canada is changing its traditional age group names, including "midget," a year after some other sports organizations stopped using the term. The governing body of hockey in Canada announced Monday that the age categories, that also included novice, peewee, atom and bantam, would be replaced by names descriptive of the ages of the players, from under-7 up to U21. Source
  • 'We go high': Raptors superfan reconciles with Bucks fan who wrote racist tweet

    Canada News CTV News
    The Toronto Raptors “superfan” has reconciled in person with the man who directed a racist tweet at him during the spring playoffs. Nav Bhatia, a car dealership owner who is well-known among Raptors fans as a consistent courtside presence at home games, told CTV’s Your Morning that he met with the man and his son for dinner and a game earlier this month in Milwaukee. Source
  • Criminal charges expected this week against Epstein guards

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Two correctional officers responsible for guarding Jeffrey Epstein when he took his own life are expected to face criminal charges this week for falsifying prison records, two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press. Source
  • 'Take down the dam': Rio Tinto Alcan sued over B.C. river damage

    Canada News CBC News
    Two B.C. First Nations suing one of the world's biggest mining companies over a northern river say they want Rio Tinto Alcan to dismantle a major dam built 67 years ago. "They can take down the Kenney Dam and restore everything to the way it was in 1952," Stellat'en Chief Archie Patrick told CBC on the steps of the Prince George courthouse. Source
  • Trump backing off ban on vaping flavours popular with teens

    World News CBC News
    When U.S. President Donald Trump boarded Air Force One to fly to a Kentucky campaign rally two weeks ago, a plan was in place for him to give final approval to a plan to ban most flavoured e-cigarettes. Source
  • Omar Khadr appeal in American military court faces additional delay: lawyer

    Canada News CBC News
    A U.S. military court is still refusing to hear Omar Khadr's challenge of his convictions in Guantanamo Bay. The United States Court of Military Commission Review, known as the CMCR, issued an order Monday denying a motion to lift a stay in proceedings in Khadr's appeal. Source
  • Canadian universities encourage exchange students in Hong Kong to head home

    Canada News CTV News
    Some Canadian universities are urging their exchange students in Hong Kong to consider returning home as the semi-autonomous Chinese territory is beset by escalating violence between government officials and pro-democracy protesters. Dozens of Canadians remained in Hong Kong on Monday, according to several institutions reached by The Canadian Press -- many of which said it would be in their students' best interest to flee the violence. Source
  • UCP denies political interference over plan to fire election commissioner

    Canada News CBC News
    Alberta elections commissioner Lorne Gibson, who has levied more than $200,000 in fines in his investigation of the 2017 UCP leadership race, would be fired if a bill introduced by the government Monday is passed and proclaimed into law. Source
  • Toronto Catholic school board vice chair likens LGBTQ issues to bestiality and pedophilia

    Canada News CBC News
    A Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) trustee is under fire over comments he made at a marathon board meeting this month where he connected debate over LGBTQ issues with bestiality, pedophilia, cannibalism and more. TCDSB Vice-Chair Michael Del Grande made the comments toward the end of a six-hour meeting on Nov. Source
  • U.S. no longer considers Israeli West Bank settlements illegal

    World News CBC News
    Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Monday that the United States is softening its position on Israeli settlements in the occupied West Bank, the latest in a series of Trump administration moves that weaken Palestinian claims to statehood. Source