UN calls on U.A.E. to release detained Canadian

UN human rights experts are calling on the United Arab Emirates to release a Canadian man and four others who they allege have been tortured while being detained over the last year and a half.

See Full Article

The call comes as Salim Alaradi's case proceeds at the U.A.E. Federal Supreme Court, where the Canadian businessman of Libyan origin has pleaded not guilty to three terror-related charges.

In a public statement issued Monday, UN experts say they have "credible information" indicating Alaradi and other detainees were tortured and forced to sign confessions.

The UN Special Rapporteur on torture, Juan E. Mendez, says the detainees have also been allegedly held in secret detention locations and in solitary confinement for prolonged periods of time.

The UN experts say a reply from Emirati authorities about the detainees cases was "unpersuasive."

Alaradi's case was in court in the U.A.E. on Monday, where his family says a judge agreed to allow a forensic medical exam for the 46-year-old before adjourning proceedings to Feb. 29.

Alaradi learned only last month that he was charged with funding terrorist organizations, supporting terrorist organizations, and co-operating with terrorist organizations.

His Canadian lawyer has said that two specific groups -- the February 17 Brigades and the Libyan Dawn -- were named in connection with his charges.

Alaradi's family and lawyers had previously received no explanation from U.A.E. authorities for his continued detention.

Alaradi was running a business in Dubai when he was abruptly arrested in August 2014.

He was born in Libya and immigrated to Canada from the U.A.E. in 1998, settling down in Vancouver with his family. He decided to return to the U.A.E. in 2007 to run a home appliance business with his brother.

He and his family were on vacation within the U.A.E. when he was arrested.

Alaradi's lawyer has noted that Alaradi has not lived in Libya in over 25 years and "is not politically involved in his former country."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Qatar says it identified parents of dumped baby in airport scandal

    World News CTV News
    Qatar said Monday it had identified the parents of a baby girl dumped at its airport, an incident that prompted officials to order departing female passengers to undergo invasive examinations, sparking global outrage. The public prosecutor said the mother and father were from "Asian countries" which in Qatar typically refers to the nations of South Asia where a large number of migrant workers come from. Source
  • 113 bodies found in secret graves in Mexico

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY -- Mexican authorities have recovered 113 bodies and additional human remains from a secret grave outside the western city of Guadalajara. Jalisco state Attorney Gerardo Octavio Solis said Sunday night that 30 of the victims had been identified. Source
  • Quebec reports 1,164 new cases of COVID-19, 13 deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec health authorities reported 1,164 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the total number of cases in the province since the start of the pandemic to 133,206. Of them, 10,997 are active. Source
  • Bubble burst: N.L. and P.E.I. are backing out of the Atlantic bubble

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The Atlantic bubble has been burst. Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island announced Monday that they are backing out of the Atlantic bubble for at least two weeks. Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island first opened the Atlantic bubble on July 3. Source
  • Guatemala suspends budget that sparked violent protests

    World News CTV News
    GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA -- Guatemala's Congress suspended on Monday a controversial government budget that sparked protests in the impoverished Central American nation, including the torching of the legislature's building. Widespread discontent and indignation against President Alejandro Giammattei's administration and Congress have been caused by a lack of resources for battling the coronavirus pandemic, as well as the new spending plan. Source
  • 3 unprepared hikers, including 1 in shorts, rescued in the dark from snowy B.C. mountain

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- Three hikers were rescued by search teams on Sunday evening after getting lost on a snowy North Shore mountain trail. North Shore Rescue says three hikers got lost at about 4:30 p.m., shortly after sunset, on Mount Fromme. Source
  • Ontario breaks another COVID-19 record by adding more than 1,500 new cases, 19 more deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario health officials recorded more than 1,500 new COVID-19 infections in the province on Monday, marking another new record in the daily-reported number of cases in the province. Health officials confirmed 1,589 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Monday. Source
  • How to help your kids spot COVID-19 misinformation

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Neither parents nor Canadian schools have prepared students for the deluge of misinformation circulating online during the COVID-19 pandemic, says one education expert. For the most vulnerable among us, social media can be a confusing source for information and not enough is being done to help children sift through the muck, says education strategist Dwayne Matthews. Source
  • Jumbo task: Elephant hoisted from deep well in India

    World News CTV News
    DHARMAPURI, INDIA -- A wild elephant that fell into a well in southern India was lifted out with a crane following a 16-hour rescue mission involving dozens of rangers and firefighters. The elephant fell more than 20 metres (70 feet) after it wandered into a village in Tamil Nadu state last week while looking for food. Source
  • French former president Sarkozy stands trial for corruption

    World News CBC News
    Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy goes on trial Monday on charges of corruption and influence-peddling in a phone-tapping scandal, a first for the 65-year-old politician who has faced several other judicial investigations since leaving office in 2012. Source