Quebec officer killed in line of duty had been with the force for six months

Quebec provincial police have identified the police officer who was shot and killed in Lac-Simon, Que., on Saturday night as 26-year-old Thierry Leroux.

See Full Article

Police say the incident occurred at about 10:30 p.m. when officers responded to a call about a "conflict" at a residence in the small community near Val D'Or, approximately 500 kilometres northwest of Montreal.

"Shortly after police arrived on the scene, at least 1 shot was fired in their direction … (it was) not possible (for them) to react," Sgt. Claude Denis, a spokesman for the Surete du Quebec, told CTV News.

Denis said that Leroux suffered serious injuries and later died.

Another officer was taken to hospital, but his injuries are not life-threatening.

Denis said that Leroux had been a member of the Lac-Simon police force for six months.

"It is very sad. This … is a young policeman," he said.

The alleged shooter has been identified as Joseph Anthony Raymond Papatie, 22, a resident of Lac-Simon. He suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead in the residence, Denis said.

Police say the officers did not return fire and they believe Papatie may have shot himself.

Authorities did not reveal whether Papatie lived at the residence where the incident occurred.

The alleged shooter left behind a Facebook message in French with an apology to friends and the line “I killed a police.” There were also various photos of the 22-year-old wearing military fatigues.

Lac-Simon Deputy Chief Pamela Papatie told reporters social workers are in place to help friends, family and community members.

In a statement, a spokesman for the Canadian Union of Public Employees said that Leroux was from Lac St-Jean, Que., and expressed his sympathy for Leroux's family.

"We are shaken by this horrible news," said Stephane Lachance.

"We offer our most sincere condolences to Thierry's family and loved ones."

Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard and Parti Quebecois leader Pierre Karl Peladeau also expressed their condolences for Leroux and his family on Twitter.

The Ministry of Public Safety has launched an independent investigation, which is being overseen by the Surete du Quebec.

With files from The Canadian Press


Latest Canada & World News

  • Betsy Bloomingdale private collection going to auction

    World News CTV News
    NEW YORK -- Personal belongings of the late fashion icon, socialite and philanthropist Betsy Bloomingdale will be auctioned in New York later this year and next year. Bloomingdale, who was married to the late Alfred S. Source
  • Dangerous roads: 18 pedestrians struck, 1 killed in Toronto Thursday

    Canada News CTV News
    It was a tragic day on the roads Thursday in Toronto after 18 pedestrians were struck by vehicles, including one senior who later died. By noon on Thursday, 10 pedestrians had been hit by vehicles on Toronto roads, with more collisions occurring in the evening hours. Source
  • Ontario to import Quebec electricity under 7-year deal

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ontario and Quebec will sign a new seven-year electricity agreement today when the two governments hold a joint cabinet meeting in Toronto. The Canadian Press has learned Premiers Kathleen Wynne and Philippe Couillard will sign the deal, which will see Ontario import up to two terawatt hours of electricity from Quebec each year, enough to power a city the size of Kitchener, Ont. Source
  • Inflation inches up to 1.3% despite cheaper food

    Canada News CBC News
    The cost of living in Canada went up by 1.3 per cent in the year ended in September, up from 1.1 per cent the previous month. Statistics Canada reported Friday that food prices were the biggest cause of the deceleration, as the food index posted its smallest year-over-year gain since February 2000. Source
  • Spend more on affordable housing, wipe out homelessness: Report

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — A new report on homelessness proposes nearly doubling federal spending on affordable housing over the next 10 years to effectively eliminate the problem. Two groups — the Canadian Observatory on Homelessness and the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness say — that would effectively make homelessness rare, brief and non-recurring. Source
  • Polish minister claims Egypt sold warships to Russia for symbolic price of $1

    World News CTV News
    WARSAW, Poland - Poland's defence minister says he believes Egypt has sold two French-made Mistral warships to Russia for the symbolic price of $1. Antoni Macierewicz made the claim during a parliamentary debate on Thursday and later told reporters he had the information "from good sources" but did not reveal any other details. Source
  • 'I'm petrified': Cape Breton braces for more rainfall after severe flooding

    Canada News CTV News
    Parts of Atlantic Canada are bracing for heavy rainfall this weekend as Cape Breton continues to clean up from a severe Thanksgiving weekend storm that flooded hundreds of homes. Environment Canada has issued special weather statements about heavy rainfall in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia. Source
  • Woman addresses gender gap issue to Commons committee — of all men

    Canada News CBC News
    When Jenny Wright addressed the Federal Standing Committee on Finance recently in Charlottetown, she was addressing a group of men. That surprised Wright, the executive director of the St. John's Status of Women Council, who was there to talk about economic equality for women. Source
  • Typhoon Haima lashes China; death toll up in Philippines [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    VIGAN, Philippines — Super Typhoon Haima weakened and blew out to sea Thursday after smashing the northern Philippines with ferocious wind and rain overnight. Flooding, landslides and power outages were evident, but large casualties appeared to have been averted after nearly 100,000 people fled to safer ground. Source
  • Still no aid for Aleppo's sick, hungry and wounded despite Russian pause in bombing

    World News CBC News
    The United Nations said medical evacuations from eastern Aleppo had not begun on Friday as it had hoped, as a lack of security guarantees and "facilitation" prevent aid workers taking advantage of a pause in the bombing announced by Russia. Source