Quebec police identify officer killed in line of duty

LAC-SIMON , Que. -- Quebec provincial police have identified the police officer who was fatally shot in the line of duty in Lac-Simon on Saturday night as 26-year-old Thierry Leroux.

See Full Article

Police say it happened when officers responded to a domestic call at about 10:30 p.m.

"When they arrived on the scene, at least one shot was fired in their direction," said Sgt. Claude Denis. "According to the first element of the investigation, it was not possible for them to react."

Sgt. Benoit Coutu of the provincial police said Leroux had been a member of the local Lac-Simon police force for six months.

Another person was pronounced dead inside the home, and police say they believe he may have shot himself.

Coutu identified him as Anthony Raymond Papatie, 22, a resident of Lac-Simon.

Coutu could not confirm whether Papatie lived at the home where the incident occurred.

Investigators say officers did not return fire. A second officer was also injured, but his life is not in danger.

Lac-Simon is located near Val D'Or, about 500 kilometres from Montreal in Quebec's Abitibi region.

The Ministry of Public Safety has launched an independent investigation, and provincial police are also investigating.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Feds investing nearly $200M in Mississauga, Ont. plant to mass produce vaccines

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- The federal government will invest almost $200 million in Mississauga, Ont.-based Resilience Biotechnologies to eventually be able to mass produce vaccines domestically. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the announcement on Tuesday, stating that the money will go toward creating and maintaining 500 jobs and 50 co-op positions for young people “to get their foot in the door in a growing sector. Source
  • 'Sheerness when wet': Joe Fresh recalls boys, toddler swim shorts out of 'abundance of caution'

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Loblaws' Joe Fresh clothing brand is voluntarily recalling swim shorts for boys and toddlers over concerns about the sheerness of the trunks’ fabric when wet. Joe Fresh said in a recall notice posted online that there are no safety concerns with the products. Source
  • Ikea recalls select dishes due to risk of breakage and burns

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Ikea Canada has issued a recall for select dishes after the company received reports of some of these products breaking, leading to a possible burn risk. In a notice issued on Tuesday, Ikea Canada said it was recalling the Heroisk and Talrika style plates, bowls, and mugs "due to the potential risk of burns from hot contents upon breakage. Source
  • Container ship is the largest of its kind to visit Canada: Halifax Port Authority

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Port officials in Halifax say the largest container ship to visit a Canadian port has arrived at the city's south-end container terminal. A spokesman for the Port of Halifax says the CMA CGM Marco Polo is 396 metres long and can carry the equivalent of 16,022 containers that are each 20-feet long. Source
  • Investing in new coal, oil and gas projects must stop to hit climate goals, global energy agency says

    World News CBC News
    A report by the International Energy Agency says immediate action is needed to reshape the world's energy sector in order to meet ambitious climate goals by 2050, including ending investments in new coal mines, oil and gas wells. Source
  • Quebec reports 549 new COVID-19 cases, 9 more deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec has 549 new COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of people infected to 364,396 since the start of the pandemic. The province's health officials also confirmed nine more deaths, a total of 11,050 after it was ruled one death was not related to COVID-19. Source
  • Israel resumes airstrikes on Gaza, as Palestinian militants fire more rockets into Israel

    World News CBC News
    Israel bombarded Gaza with airstrikes and Palestinian militants resumed cross-border rocket fire on Tuesday after a brief overnight lull during which the United Nations sent a small fuel convoy into the enclave, where it says 52,000 people are now displaced. Source
  • Canada marks 25,000 COVID-19 deaths

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Canada has marked 25,000 COVID-19 deaths since the pandemic started. The country reached the grim milestone on Tuesday, after Ontario reported an additional 17 deaths related to the disease. Many younger Canadians succumbed to the disease in recent months, as the third COVID-19 wave overwhelmed hospitals, especially in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. Source
  • Ontario reports lowest number of COVID-19 cases in nearly two months with fewer than 1,700 infections logged

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Health officials in Ontario are reporting fewer than 1,700 new cases of COVID-19, marking the lowest single-day total in almost two months. The 1,616 infections recorded Tuesday represent a significant drop from the 2,170 reported by the province a day earlier. Source
  • Experts warn shuttered Australia is becoming a 'hermit nation'

    World News CTV News
    SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA -- Prime Minister Scott Morrison defended his "Fortress Australia" COVID-19 restrictions Tuesday, as experts warned that plans to keep the borders closed for another year will create a "hermit nation." "Everyone is keen to get back to a time that we once knew," the conservative leader said in the face of growing calls for international borders to reopen. Source