Suspected shooter dies after Ont. town councillor killed in home

A small Ontario town is in shock after a local councillor was shot dead in his home and his daughter critically injured Thursday morning.

See Full Article

Ontario Provincial Police say a third person believed to be the shooter has since died of his injuries.

CTV Ottawa reports that OPP were called to Coun. Bernard Cameron’s home in Almonte, Ont. around 7:30 a.m. Thursday morning following a 911 call.

Police say a 65-year-old man was found dead of a gunshot wound, and a man, 33, and a woman, 28, were taken to hospital with critical injuries. The 33-year-old man was later pronounced dead.

Police say the 28-year-old woman suffered life-threatening injuries and is in stable condition in hospital.

While police have not confirmed the relationship between the victims, Mississippi Mills Mayor Shaun McLaughlin said Cameron was killed and his daughter Sarah Cameron was “gravely injured.”

Sources told CTV Ottawa that the gunman was Sarah Cameron’s former partner.

The mayor says the tiny community of 12,400 people, located about 50 kilometres southeast of Ottawa, is reeling from the news.

“It’s going to take forever to get through this. It’s going to filter all the way through this town,” McLaughlin told CTV Ottawa.

Cameron was serving his second term in council at the time of his death. He worked as a high school teacher before entering municipal politics and was known for his love of his grandchildren, who he often babysat.

“He left an example of how people should live in the community,” McLaughlin said.

Meanwhile, one of Sarah Cameron’s coworkers says that Cameron is “alert” and has been able to speak with family.

“She is a strong person and we have full belief that she will come through and we will see her back working with her beautiful smiling face in our hallway someday,” co-worker Carolyn Della Foresta said.

Della Foresta added that Sarah Cameron is the mother of two young children and worked as a personal support worker at the Almonte Country Haven facility.

Police remained at the home Thursday night amid an ongoing investigation. Police say there is no risk to the public.

The community held a candlelight vigil Thursday night to honour the victims.

With files from CTV Ottawa and The Canadian Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Alberta legislature session to begin under new Premier Jason Kenney

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- The Alberta legislature is to start a new session today with a lot of new faces and a new government in charge. Premier Jason Kenney and the 63 members of his United Conservative caucus are to be sworn in as legislature members and a Speaker is to be chosen. Source
  • Thousands of Saudi students remain in Canada, despite Riyadh's pledge to axe scholarships

    Canada News CBC News
    Thousands of university students from Saudi Arabia remain in Canada despite being ordered out of the country by their government last August, but planning is underway to mitigate the impact on Canadian universities when those students graduate and are not replaced. Source
  • 'Like Christmas every day': A billionaire's pledge to erase this class's college debts could echo for decades

    World News CBC News
    Morehouse College, the private, all-male, historically black college in Atlanta that counts Martin Luther King among its alumni, expects its attendees to aspire to greatness. Soon, many in the graduating class of 2019 can start doing so, no matter the cost. Source
  • Mississippi 6-week abortion ban heads to federal court

    World News CTV News
    JACKSON, Miss. -- A federal judge who struck down Mississippi's 15-week abortion ban last year is hearing arguments about a new law that puts the ban even earlier. The law would prohibit most abortions once a fetal heartbeat can be detected, at about six weeks, when many women may not know they're pregnant. Source
  • Accused New Zealand mosque shooter charged with terrorism

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealand police on Tuesday filed a terrorism charge against the man accused of killing 51 people at two Christchurch mosques. Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 28, was already facing murder and attempted murder charges from the March 15 shootings. Source
  • New Zealand police file terrorism charge against man accused of massacre in mosques

    World News CBC News
    New Zealand police have charged the man accused of murder in shootings at two Christchurch mosques in March with engaging in a terrorist act, they said on Tuesday. In an attack broadcast live on Facebook, a lone gunman armed with semi-automatic weapons targeted Muslims attending Friday prayers, killing 51 worshippers and wounding dozens of people. Source
  • Yemen rebels say drone hits arms depot at Saudi airport

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Yemen's Houthi rebels said Tuesday they launched a bomb-laden drone targeting an airport in Saudi Arabia that also has a military base inside of it, an attack acknowledged by the kingdom as Mideast tensions remain high between Iran and the U.S. Source
  • Yemen rebels say their drone hit arms depot at Saudi airport

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Yemen's Houthi rebels said Tuesday they launched a bomb-laden drone into Saudi Arabia, targeting an airport with a military base -- an attack acknowledged by the kingdom as Mideast tensions remain high between Iran and the United States. Source
  • Ex-White House lawyer to skip hearing as Democrats debate next steps

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- House Democrats are facing yet another brazen attempt by President Donald Trump to stonewall their investigations, this time with former White House counsel Donald McGahn defying a subpoena for his testimony on orders from the White House. Source
  • New Zealand crews reenter coal mine 8 years after 29 killed

    World News CTV News
    WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- Crews in New Zealand on Tuesday reentered an underground coal mine where a methane explosion killed 29 workers more than eight years ago, raising hopes among family members that they might find bodies and new evidence that leads to criminal charges. Source