Ghomeshi sexual assault trial to continue in Toronto

TORONTO - The sexual assault trial of former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi continues today in a Toronto courtroom.

The 48-year-old Ghomeshi has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault, and one count of overcome resistance by choking.

See Full Article

He acknowledged in 2014 that he engaged in rough sex acts, but said it was consensual.

Court heard Monday that two of his accusers discussed their allegations of sexual assault against the former broadcaster in thousands of messages they exchanged before and after they went to police.

A woman who testified that Ghomeshi bit her shoulder and put his hands around her neck as they were making out in a Toronto park, initially said that while she was friends with another complainant, they never discussed the specifics of the allegations.

But during cross-examination, Ghomeshi's lawyer said the woman, who can not be identified, exchanged 5,000 messages with "Trailer Park Boys" actress Lucy DeCoutere, who testified Ghomeshi choked her and repeatedly slapped her.

The woman also said she didn't tell police that she'd had a sexual encounter with Ghomeshi after the alleged assault because she was embarrassed, and acknowledged she was deliberately misleading.

Defence lawyer Marie Henein told court the two women began exchanging messages on Oct. 29, 2014 - the same day DeCoutere went public with her allegations - and continued until September 2015.

Henein then began quoting snippets of conversations between the two women, explaining that in the lead-up to the trial, the woman would "report in" to DeCoutere after any significant exchange with detectives or the Crown.

The lawyer also noted that DeCoutere urged the woman to use her own lawyer and publicist.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Jurors convict singer R. Kelly of racketeering and sex trafficking

    World News CBC News
    Jurors have found R. Kelly guilty of racketeering and eight counts of sex trafficking after a trial in which prosecutors accused the R&B singer of exploiting his stardom over a quarter century to lure women and underage girls into his orbit for sex. Source
  • Egg thrown at French President Macron during food trade fair

    World News CTV News
    PARIS -- French President Emmanuel Macron was hit on the shoulder Monday by an egg thrown at him by a young man during a visit to an international food trade fair in the French city of Lyon. Source
  • Nova Scotia reports 96th COVID-19 related death, 83 new cases over the weekend

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Health officials in Nova Scotia are reporting the province’s 96th death related to COVID-19 on Thursday. In a news release, N.S. Health says a man in his 80s died in the Central zone. Source
  • Vaccine enforcement begins in Calgary as doctors renew calls for targeted measures

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY - The City of Calgary has ticketed two businesses for failing to comply with new vaccine passport regulations. Peace officers have handed out one, $200 ticket for failing to display signage around proof of vaccination requirements, and another $500 ticket for failing to check customers' proof of immunization. Source
  • San Marino legalizes abortion while Pope, women's groups disagree

    World News CTV News
    SAN MARINO -- Pope Francis repeated Monday that abortion is "murder," a day after the tiny republic of San Marino became the latest Catholic state to legalize the procedure, much to the cheers of women's rights groups. Source
  • Judge suspends probe into Lebanon port blast amid challenges

    World News CTV News
    BEIRUT -- The lead judge investigating last year's massive blast in Beirut's port suspended his work in the case Monday after a former Cabinet minister demanded his dismissal. Judge Tarek Bitar, the second judge to lead the complicated and thorny investigation, canceled the questioning of a former military intelligence general, scheduled for Monday. Source
  • New Brunswick reports record 86 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, active cases rise to 650

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Health officials in New Brunswick are reporting a single-day record 86 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, along with 64 recoveries, as the total number of active cases in the province rises to 650. Source
  • Rescue effort underway for 39 miners trapped underground in Sudbury, Ont., since Sunday

    Canada News CBC News
    Thirty-nine Vale employees have been trapped underground in the Totten Mine in Sudbury, Ont., since Sunday, the company says. The workers are safe and are currently mobilizing to exit the mine via a secondary egress ladder system, the company said in a news release. Source
  • Man in Poland gets 25-year sentence for murder, cannibalism

    World News CTV News
    WARSAW, POLAND -- A court in Poland convicted a man on Monday of instigating a murder in 2002 and participating in subsequent cannibalism and handed him a 25-year prison term. The body of the victim was never found and his identity isn't known. Source
  • S.Korea's president hints at dog meat ban amid debate over animal rights

    World News CTV News
    South Korea's President Moon Jae-in said on Monday there might be a need to prohibit dog meat consumption amid debate over the controversial practice and growing awareness of animal rights. While no longer as common as before, dog meat is eaten mainly by older people and is served in some restaurants and can be bought at specific markets. Source