Saskatchewan suggests laid-off oil workers clean abandoned wells

REGINA - The Saskatchewan government is proposing to have oil and gas workers who have lost their jobs clean up abandoned wells.

See Full Article

Premier Brad Wall says the program would help stimulate employment in the oil-and-gas sector by accelerating cleanup of wells no longer capable of production.

Wall says it would speed up decommissioning and reclamation of 1,000 non-producing wells over the next two years and generate 1,200 jobs.

Work would include safe removal and disposal of old equipment, remediation of any spills and revegetation of the land.

But the proposal calls for $156 million in federal funding.

Wall says he has spoken with and written to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau about the idea.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Norway's king hospitalized with infection

    World News CTV News
    HELSINKI - Norway's royal palace says King Harald has been hospitalized with an infection and remains in satisfactory condition with improving health. The royal palace said in a short statement Sunday that the 80-year-old monarch is being treated at an Oslo hospital where he was taken Friday but didn't disclose further details. Source
  • Violent evictions, homelessness are the cost of Lagos, Nigeria's megacity

    World News CBC News
    "I was born and brought up in Otodo Gbame community," says 31-year-old Julius Oladele, sitting with his feet burning on the hot sand strewn with broken glass, bamboo and corrugated iron sheets. "They came in November 2016. Source
  • Police question Israeli leader over corruption accusations

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- Police have arrived at the official residence of Israel's prime minister in what is believed to be part of an investigation into corruption allegations. Police have previously questioned Benjamin Netanyahu over allegations that he received gifts from Hollywood and business figures. Source
  • 1 dead after training exercise at CFB Shilo

    Canada News CTV News
    One person is dead following a training exercise at CFB Shilo, a spokesperson for the Canadian Forces tells CTV News. "Family notification is still ongoing. We will not release any further information until that has been properly ?completed," Lori Truscott said in an emailed statement. Source
  • Key players in Zimbabwe's political crisis

    World News CBC News
    A lot has happened in the past few days in Zimbabwe, where the world's oldest head of state tries to remain in power even under military house arrest. Thousands of giddy Zimbabweans have poured in the streets to demand his departure, tired of a collapsing economy that once was one of Africa's strongest. Source
  • Canadians win team relay silver at luge World Cup

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada earned a medal in the first team relay event of the season at the luge World Cup in Innsbruck, Austria, on Sunday. Alex Gough, Mitchel Malyk, Tristan Walker, and Justin Snith combined to finish 0.358 seconds behind the German sleds. Source
  • Three suspicious fires in Vancouver suburb set within 90 minutes: police

    Canada News CTV News
    A trio of suspicious fires in a Vancouver suburb is raising concerns that an arsonist may be on the loose. Police said the fires happened in the span of an hour-and-a-half early Saturday morning in Delta, B.C. Source
  • Person dies during armed forces training exercise in Manitoba

    Canada News CBC News
    A person has died during a training exercise at an army base in Manitoba. The person was killed at CFB Shilo, about 205 kilometres west of Winnipeg, on Saturday, a spokesperson for the base confirmed to CBC News. Source
  • Satellite signals give hope in search for missing Argentine submarine

    World News CBC News
    A search and rescue operation for an Argentine navy submarine missing in the South Atlantic with 44 crew members aboard reached its third day on Sunday, after failed satellite calls likely from the vessel raised hopes the crew are alive. Source
  • Secret Service apprehends attempted White House fence jumper

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Secret Service says an individual has been taken into custody after attempting to jump a security barrier on the Pennsylvania Avenue side of the White House. President Donald Trump was inside the White House during the Sunday morning incident. Source