Ontario to recieve 10,000 refugees by end of February

TORONTO -- Premier Kathleen Wynne says despite "challenges," Ontario is on track to receive 10,000 Syrian refugees by the end of this month.

See Full Article

The federal government is aiming to settle 25,000 refugees by the end of February, with about two-thirds expected to be government-assisted.

About 7,000 Syrian refugees have already settled in Ontario since Dec. 10 and on Monday the premier announced details of some of the funding committed to helping them.

The Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants is receiving about $343,000 for trauma and mental-health training for front-line workers as well as a public education campaign, and COSTI Immigrant Services is receiving $283,000 to deliver workshops and orientation resources to refugees.

That money is part of the $8.5 million Ontario pledged over 2 1/2 years to support refugees.

Wynne says the refugee resettlement has "been a remarkable success story," though she admits there have been "some timing issues."

"We knew that a resettlement of this scale would not be without its challenges," Wynne said Monday. "We can be confident that our combined efforts are working, now, maybe not quite as quickly or as seamlessly as we would like in every single case. There will always be situations where there are refinements that are needed, but we are rising to the occasion."

The influx of Syrian refugee arrivals prompted agencies in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa to request a break in the action to hire extra staff and find permanent homes for those who have already arrived before any more are cleared to come to Canada.

Wynne suggested last month that government-assisted refugees who were still in temporary housing at hotels could be paired with private sponsors. But federal Immigration Minister John McCallum said while the idea made sense on its surface, there were too many flaws in the proposal.

As of Feb. 4, 16,565 Syrians have arrived in Canada since Nov. 4. Of that, 9,753 were government assisted, 5,639 privately sponsored and 1,173 as part of a program that blends the two.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Mexicans homeless after quake rely on kindness of strangers to survive

    World News CBC News
    For 12 years, Adriana Lemos has walked up to apartment 903 of the Osa Mayor, a 14-storey apartment building in downtown Mexico City. Now, as she picks her way carefully up the stairs past piles of rubble, she fears this may be the last time she will see her home. Source
  • 'Russo-phobic hysteria' sours U.S. relationship: Russian foreign minister

    World News CTV News
    Russia's foreign minister said Friday the downturn in relations with the United States began with the Obama administration's "small-hearted" and "revengeful" actions and has plummeted further because of "Russo-phobic hysteria." Sergey Lavrov told a news conference there has been a lengthy campaign claiming Russia interfered in the U.S. Source
  • Prof lobbies to change 'The Clan' team name at Simon Fraser University

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- For more than 50 years, Simon Fraser University's sports teams have played under the name The Clan, to honour the Scottish heritage of the school's namesake. But now, amid violent neo-Nazi marches in the United States, some professors and students are sounding the alarm that the name evokes a very different clan -- the Ku Klux Klan. Source
  • Canada imposes sanctions on key Venezuelan officials

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada will impose targeted sanctions against 40 Venezuelan senior officials, including President Nicolas Maduro, to punish them for "anti-democratic behaviour," Canada's foreign affairs department says. Canada's move, which followed a similar decision by the United States, came after months of protests against Maduro's government in which at least 125 people have been killed. Source
  • Ex Tim Hortons CEO denies leaking confidential info

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    VANCOUVER — The former CEO of Tim Hortons denies he provided confidential information to one of Canada’s national newspapers after the coffee-and-donut chain’s parent company commenced legal action against a rogue group of franchisees it alleges were Don Schroeder’s informants. Source
  • Quebec cop guilty of manslaughter in 2014 shooting death of teen

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    MONTREAL — A Quebec court judge convicted a provincial police officer Friday of manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a teenager in 2014. The ruling triggered a strongly worded condemnation from the union representing provincial police officers, who called the decision “incomprehensible and unacceptable. Source
  • Uncle, nephew drink beer, shoot cars and set house on fire: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    A family that sets a blaze together, stays together. According to the Winston-Salem Journal, a North Carolina man and his uncle had a hell of a good time this past Tuesday evening when they allegedly enjoyed some brewskies while watching a lawnmower and vehicle burn in their front yard, shot at passing vehicles and later setting their house ablaze. Source
  • Montreal's famous bagel shops under fire for wood-burning ovens

    Canada News CTV News
    Montreal residents are going before city council on Monday to demand a ban on wood-burning ovens at several famous bagel shops because they say not enough has been done to address air pollution. Francois Grenier, who lives on the same block where Fairmount Bagels has stood since 1949, says he has been asking the city to deal with the wood-burning ovens for more than 20 years. Source
  • Edmonton woman pleads guilty in animal cruelty case; dog had to be put down

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON - A 73-year-old Edmonton woman has been fined more than $1,200 and banned from owning pets for five years after pleading guilty in an animal cruelty case. Margaret Dechambre was charged in July with causing or permitting an animal to be in distress after a 20-year-old dog had to be put down due to extreme neglect. Source
  • Bob Dole hospitalized for low blood pressure: Spokeswoman

    World News Toronto Sun
    TOPEKA, Kan. — A spokeswoman says former Republican presidential candidate and U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole is hospitalized for low blood pressure. Dole spokeswoman Marion Watkins said in an email Friday that the 94-year-old former Kansas senator has been hospitalized since Sept. Source