- Category: Canada News
- Published Monday, February 8, 2016
- CTV News
TORONTO - The trial of Jian Ghomeshi, the disgraced former broadcaster accused of sexual assault, is underway in Toronto.
- Scroll down or click here to follow along with our live blog
Ghomeshi is charged with four counts of sexual assault, and one count of overcome resistance by choking, which he has pleaded not guilty to.
Last week, the court heard from former actress Lucy DeCoutere, the only one of the three complainants in the case who can be publicly named.
Ghomeshi's lawyer launched an intense cross-examination of DeCoutere over emails sent to the former CBC host.
One of them, sent a few hours after DeCoutere alleges Ghomeshi assaulted her, expressed a desire to have sex with him.
But DeCoutere said that doesn't change the fact that she was assaulted.
The court has yet to hear from a third complainant who is slated to testify in the trial.
Ghomeshi acknowledged in 2014 that he engaged in rough sex acts, but said it was consensual.