Memorials set up for twins who died in crash on Calgary bobsled track

The sports facility where twin brothers crashed and died on a bobsledding track has set up two memorials for mourners looking to pay their respects.

See Full Article

Jordan and Evan Caldwell, 17-year-old twins, were killed in an after-hours accident at the WinSport Canada Olympic Park in Calgary early Saturday morning.

According to police, the brothers and six other male teens gained access to the park after it had closed for the night, and attempted to slide down the bobsled track on a personal sled or toboggan.

Midway down the course they collided with a gate. Jordan and Evan were killed, and the other teens were injured.

In a statement on Saturday night, the Caldwell family expressed their grief over the sudden loss.

"Our boys Jordan and Evan were bright lights to all who knew them. We are grieving their loss but confident in their new home of heaven. Our brief 17 years with them were a gift: filled with much love, laughter, and fond memories," the statement said. "They leave a huge void and will be sorely missed."

Both boys were previously employed at the WinSport park, where they worked as "Hill Ambassadors" last winter, WinSport President and CEO Barry Heck said in a statement.

Like much of the Calgary community, Heck said WinSport employees are mourning the deaths of their former co-workers. The organization has set up two memorials where mourners can pay their respects: one at the top of the hill at the eastern edge of the start house deck, and one at the 1988 Olympic plaque at the top of the stairs from the Frank King Day Lodge parking lot to the bobsleigh track.

"I want to once again offer my thoughts and prayers to all the families involved in yesterday's tragedy," Heck said in his statement. "My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tragic event."

Following the incident, WinSport has closed the entire sliding track indefinitely and the park is also putting up extra fences.

'Outstanding young men'

Speaking with The Canadian Press, a family member described Evan and Jordan as model students who were headed for successful futures.

"They were outstanding young men. They had straight-A averages and had scholarships to several universities, and they were just really fine boys," the family member, who asked not to be identified, said.

On Sunday, both the boys' schools released statements echoing the praise.

"Jordan, a grade 12 student and our Student Council President, has been an inspiration and respected leader in our school community," a statement from Westmount Charter School's Mid-High Campus Principal Janneke Frank said.

According to the statement, Evan also attended Westmount at one point, but spent his Grade 11 and Grade 12 years at Ernest Manning High School.

On Sunday, both schools expressed their condolences and said that counselling would be available for students affected by the tragedy.

"We will provide particular attention and counseling for our senior students who were Jordan's closest friends, his peeps," Frank said.

Emergency call from the track

Investigators are piecing together exactly what happened on the night of the deadly crash.

On Saturday, paramedics said they responded to emergency calls from the track at about 1:30 a.m.

They arrived and declared the Caldwell brothers dead on the scene. The other teens were transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The other injured teens remained in hospital Sunday night, with some requiring facial reconstruction surgery.

Police said Saturday that they are reviewing CCTV footage from WinSport, and that the sports organization has been cooperative with the investigation.

Heck said his organization will also conduct its own internal review of the incident, though he said security measures at the track are already "robust."

With files from The Canadian Press



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Early agreement reached in dispute over Suez Canal ship

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- The owners and insurers of the giant container ship that blocked the Suez Canal for nearly a week earlier this year have reached an agreement in principle over their dispute with canal authorities, representatives from both sides said Wednesday. Source
  • Canadian women's soccer team wants to climb further up the Olympic podium

    Canada News CBC News
    With the official announcement of the Canadian women's Olympic soccer roster revealed by Canadian coach Bev Priestman Wednesday, the team can now concentrate on a loftier goal. Winners of back-to-back bronze medals, the Canadian players have aspirations of reaching the medal podium for an unprecedented third consecutive time at the Tokyo Olympics. Source
  • Israel's new government OKs first settlement construction

    World News CTV News
    JERUSALEM -- An Israeli defense ministry body advanced plans for 31 West Bank settlement construction projects Wednesday, the first such move under the country's new government. The plans approved by the Civil Administration include a shopping center, a special needs school and a number of infrastructure projects and zoning changes in existing West Bank settlements, Israeli media reported. Source
  • About 50 people forced from their homes as wildfire west of Edmonton keeps growing

    Canada News CBC News
    A wildfire west of Edmonton that triggered evacuation orders in parts of Yellowhead County on Tuesday continues to burn out of control and is expected to keep growing. "We do expect fire activity to pick up today as temperatures rise," Josee St-Onge, a provincial wildfire information officer said in an interview Wednesday. Source
  • Watchdog calls rate of child sexual abuse in Nunavut a crisis

    Canada News CTV News
    Nunavut's representative for children and youth says the territory's high rate of child sexual abuse amounts to a crisis. Jane Bates testified this week before legislature members to discuss her office's 2019-2020 annual report. Source
  • Nearly $37 million needed to fix ‘critical’ deterioration at 24 Sussex Drive: NCC

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- It will cost $175 million over 10 years to restore Canada’s six official residences to good condition, according to a new report from the National Capital Commission. The homes—including the prime minister’s residence at 24 Sussex Drive—have deteriorated due to years of underfunding. Source
  • Japanese court says married couples must stick to single surname

    World News CBC News
    Japan's Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday that laws requiring married couples to have the same surname are constitutional, dismissing a challenge by three couples seeking to keep separate names. The decision to affirm a 2015 Supreme Court ruling was a disappointment for rights activists who say the laws violate the constitution's guarantee of gender equality, since women almost always sacrifice their surnames. Source
  • Airstrike in Ethiopia's Tigray kills more than 50: witnesses

    World News CTV News
    NAIROBI, KENYA -- An airstrike hit a busy market in Ethiopia's northern Tigray village of Togoga on Tuesday and killed at least 51 people, according to health workers who said soldiers blocked medical teams from traveling to the scene. Source
  • 'It was a hoot': Owl with broken wing that was coaxed into a dog kennel set free in B.C. after recovery

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- An owl with a broken wing that was rescued by highway patrol officers last fall has been set free after its recovery. Last September, a BC Highway Patrol officer spotted an injured owl on Highway 7 near Ruby Creek between Agassiz and Hope. Source
  • Nova Scotia reports no new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday; active cases drop to 60

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- Nova Scotia is reporting no new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, as well as 14 recoveries, as the active number of cases in the province drops to 60 - the lowest number of active cases reported in the province since April 18. Source