Actress acknowledges she sent Ghomeshi emails, racy photo after alleged assault

WARNING: Some content may be disturbing to readers

Jian Ghomeshi’s defence lawyer is questioning Lucy DeCoutere about several emails and a racy image she sent to the former broadcaster months after he allegedly choked and slapped her during a date in 2003.

See Full Article

DeCoutere, who appeared on the TV series “Trailer Park Boys,” faced another round of intense grilling by defence lawyer Marie Henein during cross-examination on the fourth day of Ghomeshi’s trial on charges of sexual assault and choking.

On the witness stand in a Toronto courtroom Friday, DeCoutere repeatedly stated that she was not trying to become romantically involved with Ghomeshi, despite sending him emails asking to meet with him.

On Thursday, DeCoutere began her testimony saying that she and Ghomeshi were kissing in his bedroom during a July 2003 date, when he choked and slapped her repeatedly.

DeCoutere said Thursday she had consented to kissing Ghomeshi, but not the violence.

During cross-examination on Friday, Henein accused DeCoutere of withholding important information. Henein presented a photo DeCoutere sent to Ghomeshi showing her simulating a sexual act.

DeCoutere said she sent the photo, but stated that it didn’t mean that Ghomeshi had not assaulted her, and that she had sent what she thought was a funny photo to other people as well.

Henein also presented an email DeCoutere sent Ghomeshi a day after the alleged assault in his bedroom.

It stated: "Jian getting to know you is literally changing my mind. You challenge me and point to stuff that has not been pulled out in a very long time.”

The email later states: “You kicked my ass last night and that makes me want to f**k your brains out tonight.”

DeCoutere acknowledged writing the email but said she didn’t remember writing it.

She also said the incident left her confused, and re-stated that, regardless, Ghomeshi still did not receive consent to choke or slap her.

Ghomeshi has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance by choking.

He has always denied any wrongdoing and claimed his sexual relations were consensual.

Reading on an app? Tap here for full experience.

WARNING: Some content may be disturbing to readers



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 4 dead in new shooting in Mexico resort region

    World News CTV News
    CANCUN, Mexico -- Gunmen attacked the state prosecutors' office in this Caribbean resort city Tuesday, and authorities said four people were killed, ratcheting up tensions just a day after a shooting at a music festival in a nearby town left three foreigners and two Mexicans dead. Source
  • With mercy for Manning, attention turns to WikiLeaks head

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama’s decision Tuesday to commute Chelsea Manning’s sentence brought fresh attention to another figure involved in the Army leaker’s case: Julian Assange. On Twitter last week, Assange’s anti-secrecy site WikiLeaks posted, “If Obama grants Manning clemency Assange will agree to US extradition despite clear unconstitutionality of DoJ case. Source
  • NY scalper struggles to sell Trump inauguration tickets

    World News CTV News
    With three days to go before billionaire businessman Donald Trump becomes America’s 45th president, a New York ticket scalper is getting nervous he won’t sell a pricey pair of tickets before the inauguration. Yossi Rosenberg, a business development manager who reportedly voted for Hillary Clinton, bought the two tickets off Craigslist for $700. Source
  • Is Mexico getting more dangerous for Canadian tourists?

    World News CBC News
    The deaths of five people, including a Canadian man, in Monday's nightclub shooting in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, are tragic — but that doesn't mean it's more dangerous for people to travel to the popular resort area, security experts say. Source
  • Fugitive wanted in Orlando officer’s fatal shooting captured: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    ORLANDO, Fla. — Police say a man wanted in the fatal shootings of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and an Orlando police sergeant has been captured. The Orlando Police Department tweeted Tuesday night that 41-year-old Markeith Loyd is in custody. Source
  • 18 million more Americans uninsured if Obamacare killed, not replaced

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Insurance premiums would soar for millions of Americans and 18 million more would be uninsured in just one year if Republicans scuttle much of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul without a replacement, Congress' budget analysts said Tuesday. Source
  • Man accused of killing Orlando police officer in custody

    World News CBC News
    Police say a man wanted in the fatal shootings of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and an Orlando police sergeant has been captured. The Orlando Police Department tweeted Tuesday night that 41-year-old Markeith Loyd is in custody. Loyd has been the focus of a weeklong manhunt since Master Sgt. Source
  • White House won’t close Guantanamo after all

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — The White House said Tuesday that the Guantanamo Bay detention centre in Cuba will still be open when President Barack Obama leaves office, conceding that a core campaign promise will go unfulfilled. Administration officials had long insisted that the president was continuing to work toward closing the facility even when it became obvious that it would no longer be possible for practical reasons before President-elect Donald Trump takes office Friday. Source
  • Father, son swept away by Oregon 'sneaker wave'

    World News Toronto Sun
    SALEM, Ore. — One moment, Jayson Thomas was on the Oregon beach with his 3-year-old son. The next, they were gone, swept away by a “sneaker wave” as his wife looked on. The man and his boy were but the latest to be lost to a sneaker wave, which are prevalent in the Pacific Northwest. Source
  • Death Valley sees more damage from visitors driving off-road

    World News CTV News
    DEATH VALLEY, Calif. -- Rangers are taking stronger measures to try to prevent visitors from driving on dry lake beds and other fragile areas at Death Valley National Park. The National Park Service said Tuesday there have been additional incidents since last summer when someone drove on famed Racetrack playa, leaving tire tracks that may remain visible for years. Source