Actress acknowledges she sent Ghomeshi emails, photo after alleged assault

WARNING: Some content may be disturbing to readers

Jian Ghomeshi’s defence lawyer is questioning Lucy DeCoutere about several emails and a racy image she sent to the former broadcaster months after he allegedly choked and slapped her during a date in 2003.

See Full Article

DeCoutere, who appeared on the TV series “Trailer Park Boys,” faced another round of intense grilling by defence lawyer Marie Henein during cross-examination on the fourth day of Ghomeshi’s trial on charges of sexual assault and choking.

  • Scroll down or click here to follow the trial through our live blog

On the witness stand in a Toronto courtroom Friday, DeCoutere repeatedly stated that she was not trying to become romantically involved with Ghomeshi, despite sending him emails asking to meet with him.

On Thursday, DeCoutere began her testimony saying that she and Ghomeshi were kissing in his bedroom during a July 2003 date, when he choked and slapped her repeatedly.

DeCoutere said Thursday she had consented to kissing Ghomeshi, but not the violence.

During cross-examination on Friday, Henein accused DeCoutere of withholding important information. Henein presented a photo DeCoutere sent to Ghomeshi showing her simulating a sexual act.

DeCoutere said she sent the photo, but stated that it didn’t mean that Ghomeshi had not assaulted her, and that she had sent what she thought was a funny photo to other people as well.

Henein also presented an email DeCoutere sent Ghomeshi a day after the alleged assault in his bedroom.

It stated: "Jian getting to know you is literally changing my mind. You challenge me and point to stuff that has not been pulled out in a very long time.”

The email later states: “You kicked my ass last night and that makes me want to f**k your brains out tonight.”

DeCoutere acknowledged writing the email but said she didn’t remember writing it.

She also said the incident left her confused, and re-stated that, regardless, Ghomeshi still did not receive consent to choke or slap her.

Ghomeshi has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance by choking.

He has always denied any wrongdoing and claimed his sexual relations were consensual.

Reading on an app? Tap here for full experience.

WARNING: Some content may be disturbing to readers



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Four officers who responded to U.S. Capitol attack have died by suicide

    World News CTV News
    The District of Columbia's police department on Monday said two more police officers who responded to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol have died by suicide, bringing to four the number of known suicides by officers who guarded the building that day. Source
  • U.S. hits 70 per cent vaccination rate -- a month late, amid a surge

    World News CTV News
    The U.S. on Monday finally reached President Joe Biden's goal of getting at least one COVID-19 shot into 70 per cent of American adults -- a month late and amid a fierce surge by the delta variant that is swamping hospitals and leading to new mask rules and mandatory vaccinations around the country. Source
  • China flooding deaths triple to more than 300 after officials revise toll

    World News CBC News
    More than 300 people died in recent flooding in central China, authorities said Monday, three times the previously announced toll. The Henan provincial government said 302 people died and 50 remain missing. The vast majority of the victims were in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital, where 292 died and 47 are missing. Source
  • Woman fatally mauled by bear in northern Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Mounties say a female tree planter has been mauled to death by a bear in northern Alberta. RCMP told CTV News they received a call just after 3 p.m. on July 31 regarding an attack in a rural area northwest of Swan Hills. Source
  • Family of Black man fatally shot by police in Repentigny, Que., blame racism for his death

    Canada News CBC News
    The family of a Repentigny, Que., man who died after police shot him three times in the stomach on Sunday are blaming anti-Black racism in the city's police force for his death and are demanding justice. Marie-Mireille Bence, the mother of the victim, called police Sunday morning asking them to bring her son, Jean René Junior Olivier, 37, to the hospital because he was having a mental health issue. Source
  • Calgary woman felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Calgary woman says she felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Sixties Scoop survivors call for federal inquiry and apology

    Canada News CBC News
    WARNING: This story contains distressing details. Former Canadian senator Murray Sinclair and a group representing survivors of the Sixties Scoop are calling for a federal inquiry into the actions and policies of governments that led to thousands of Indigenous children being taken from their homes over four decades and placed with non-Indigenous families. Source
  • FBI used 'provocative photos' of female office staff to catch sexual predators, watchdog says

    World News CTV News
    FBI agents posted provocative photos of female coworkers online without formal authorization as part of sting operations against sex trafficking, according to a new watchdog report. The Justice Department's inspector general said in a report released Monday that some FBI agents "sometimes used photographs of young female support staff employees to pose as minor children or sex workers to entice sexual predators on various social media websites. Source
  • German court sets trial date for former Nazi guard, aged 100

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A German court has set a trial date for a 100-year-old man who is charged with 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he served as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin during World War II. Source