Live updates: Actress acknowledges she sent Ghomeshi emails, photo after alleged assault

WARNING: Some content may be disturbing to readers

Jian Ghomeshi’s defence lawyer is questioning Lucy DeCoutere about several emails and a racy image she sent to the former broadcaster months after he allegedly choked and slapped her during a date in 2003.

See Full Article

DeCoutere, who appeared on the TV series “Trailer Park Boys,” faced another round of intense grilling by defence lawyer Marie Henein during cross-examination on the fourth day of Ghomeshi’s trial on charges of sexual assault and choking.

  • Scroll down or click here to follow the trial through our live blog

On the witness stand in a Toronto courtroom Friday, DeCoutere repeatedly stated that she was not trying to become romantically involved with Ghomeshi, despite sending him emails asking to meet with him.

On Thursday, DeCoutere began her testimony saying that she and Ghomeshi were kissing in his bedroom during a July 2003 date, when he choked and slapped her repeatedly.

DeCoutere said Thursday she had consented to kissing Ghomeshi, but not the violence.

During cross-examination on Friday, Henein accused DeCoutere of withholding important information. Henein presented a photo DeCoutere sent to Ghomeshi showing her simulating a sexual act.

DeCoutere said she sent the photo, but stated that it didn’t mean that Ghomeshi had not assaulted her, and that she had sent what she thought was a funny photo to other people as well.

Henein also presented an email DeCoutere sent Ghomeshi a day after the alleged assault in his bedroom.

It stated: "Jian getting to know you is literally changing my mind. You challenge me and point to stuff that has not been pulled out in a very long time.”

The email later states: “You kicked my ass last night and that makes me want to f**k your brains out tonight.”

DeCoutere acknowledged writing the email but said she didn’t remember writing it.

She also said the incident left her confused, and re-stated that, regardless, Ghomeshi still did not receive consent to choke or slap her.

Ghomeshi has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcome resistance by choking.

He has always denied any wrongdoing and claimed his sexual relations were consensual.

Reading on an app? Tap here for full experience.

WARNING: Some content may be disturbing to readers



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Security fears grow after latest Burkina Faso coup

    World News CTV News
    OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso - As Islamic extremists intensified their attacks in Burkina Faso earlier this year, coup leader Lt. Col. Paul Henri Sandaogo Damiba urged the West African nation's people to give him until September to improve things as interim president. Source
  • Fewer firefighters mean slower response times, jeopardizing lives

    Canada News CTV News
    In the end, all Brandon Armstrong could salvage was his mother’s wedding dress … and her Bible. Choking back tears, the Sebright, Ont. man describes the fire that gutted his four-bedroom home and ended the lives of two people inside, including his disabled mother. Source
  • Russia seized head of Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Ukraine says

    World News CBC News
    Ukraine's nuclear power provider accused Russia on Saturday of "kidnapping" the head of Europe's largest nuclear power plant, a facility now occupied by Russian troops and located in a region of Ukraine that Russian President Vladimir Putin has moved to annex illegally. Source
  • Florida searches for survivors, South Carolina waits for daylight view of Hurricane Ian's damage

    World News CBC News
    Rescuers searched for survivors among the ruins of Florida's flooded homes from Hurricane Ian while authorities in South Carolina waited for daylight to assess damage from the storm's second strike as the remnants of one of the strongest and costliest disasters to ever hit the U.S. Source
  • Nord Stream pipeline leak in Baltic Sea could cement Europe's shift to renewables — eventually

    World News CBC News
    Before the Nord Stream gas pipelines under the Baltic Sea sprung massive leaks this week, spewing out tons of methane into the water and atmosphere, Europe had started planning for a long-term future without Russian gas — prompted by Putin's war in Ukraine. Source
  • U.S. judge dismisses Mexico lawsuit against gun manufacturers

    World News CTV News
    MEXICO CITY - A U.S. federal judge on Friday dismissed a lawsuit brought by the Mexican government against U.S. gun manufacturers arguing their commercial practices has led to bloodshed in Mexico. Judge F. Dennis Saylor in Boston ruled Mexico's claims did not overcome the broad protection provided to gun manufacturers by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act passed in 2005. Source
  • 'Leave immediately' or risk conscription, Canada warns dual citizens in Russia

    Canada News CTV News
    Canadians in Russia who hold dual citizenship should leave the country immediately or risk being conscripted for mandatory military service, the Government of Canada warned in an updated travel advisory on Sept. 29. The updated advisory comes as Russian President Vladimir Putin executes a partial military mobilization that could see as many as 300,000 citizens and reservists sent to fight in Russia’s war in Ukraine. Source
  • Dual citizens in Russia could face conscription, Canada warns

    Canada News CTV News
    Canadians in Russia who hold dual citizenship should leave the country as soon as possible or risk being conscripted for mandatory military service, the Government of Canada warned in an updated travel advisory on Sept. Source
  • Trump fraud lawsuit goes to judge who held him in contempt

    World News CTV News
    The New York attorney general's lawsuit accusing Donald Trump and his company of fraud has been assigned to a state court judge who repeatedly ruled against the former president in related subpoena disputes -- including holding him in contempt, fining him US$110,000 and forcing him to sit for a deposition. Source
  • Officials: North Korea fires suspected ballistic missiles

    World News CTV News
    TOKYO - North Korea has fired suspected ballistic missiles, the Japanese Defense Ministry said Saturday. Further details are still being analyzed, ministry officials said. Japan's NHK national television said multiple missiles fired from the North are believed to have landed in the Sea of Japan and outside of Japan's exclusive economic zone. Source