Appeal court to deliberate on ex-Quebec lieutenant-governor's sentence

QUEBEC -- The province's highest court will deliberate on an appeal of the 18-month jail term for ex-Quebec lieutenant-governor Lise Thibault.

See Full Article

A lawyer for Thibault appeared before the Quebec Court of Appeal today to appeal her sentence for fraud and breach of trust.

Thibault pleaded guilty in December 2014 after a 2007 report by the federal and provincial auditors general revealed she claimed more than $700,000 in improper expenses when she held the vice-regal post.

She was sentenced to the 18 months last September but was freed after spending six nights behind bars.

Her lawyer, Marc Labelle, has said his client's case was unique, partly because she is 76, is confined to a wheelchair and has health problems, including anxiety attacks.

He said last fall the judge who imposed the sentence should have taken those factors into consideration.

Labelle also argued Quebec court Judge Carol St-Cyr should not have put the emphasis on making an example of Thibault just because of her position as the Queen's representative in the province between 1997 and 2007.

In sentencing Thibault, St-Cyr called her behaviour "highly reprehensible" and part of a "culture of deceit."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Johnny Depp sparks controversy with presidential assassination quip

    World News CBC News
    Johnny Depp has asked a crowd at the Glastonbury Festival when was the last time an actor assassinated a president. The remarks came during a segment Thursday in which Depp was speaking about U.S. President Donald Trump. Source
  • Man warns of barbecue brush dangers after metal bristle lodges in throat

    Canada News CTV News
    When Chester Poole sat down to devour a juicy burger straight off the barbecue recently, he was expecting to chomp down on the familiar taste of grilled meat. What he experienced instead, was a sharp pain in his throat and a trip to the emergency room. Source
  • Germany tells Turkey to back off after criticism of liberal Berlin mosque

    World News CTV News
    Seyran Ates, right, founder of the Ibn-Rushd-Goethe-Mosque preaches during the opening of the mosque in Berlin, Germany, Friday, June 16, 2017. (AP Photo/Michael Sohn) Source
  • Ontario man who won $22M plans to keep his job

    Canada News CTV News
    An Ottawa-area man who won $22 million in the lottery last week says he doesn’t plan to buy a new house or fancy car but will instead use the windfall to give back to his community. Source
  • Son of Russian spies regains Canadian citizenship

    Canada News CBC News
    The Toronto-born son of Russian spies has won a court battle to regain his Canadian citizenship after it was revoked by Ottawa. The long-awaited Federal Court of Appeal decision in Alexander Vavilov's favour is the latest twist in an intriguing espionage saga that spans continents and cultures. Source
  • Q&A: A look at U.S.-Canada border after airport stabbing

    Canada News CTV News
    DETROIT -- Authorities say a Canadian man from Tunisia crossed legally into the U.S. days before stabbing a police officer in the neck at a Michigan airport. The attack raises questions about security along the northern border, including what the process is for travellers and how many people are detained or denied entry. Source
  • Authorities charge alleged mosque attacker Darren Osborne with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British authorities have charged 47-year-old Darren Osborne with terrorism-related murder and attempted murder in connection with the van attack on a crowd of Muslim worshippers near two north London mosques. London police had linked the death of a 51-year-old man to the mosque attack, saying he died of “multiple injuries” after a van plowed into worshippers at a time the area was busy with people spilling out of mosques following Ramadan prayers. Source
  • Turkey rejects Gulf Arab states' demands over its Qatar base

    World News CTV News
    DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Turkey on Friday rejected a key demand by several Arab states involved in a major dispute with Qatar, saying Ankara has no plans to shut down its military base in the small Gulf country. Source
  • Russia fires missiles from Mediterranean at ISIS in Syria

    World News CTV News
    MOSCOW -- Russia has fired cruise missiles from the Mediterranean Sea on positions of the Islamic State group in Syria, the Defence Ministry said on Friday, Moscow's latest show of strength in the conflict wracking the Mideast country. Source
  • Chinese parents alarmed by miniature crossbow craze

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING -- Powerful mini-crossbows that shoot toothpicks and needles are the new must-have toy for schoolkids across China -- and a nightmare for concerned parents and school officials. Several cities including Shenzhen and Qingdao have reportedly banned sales of the palm-sized contraptions, which sell for about US$1 and are powerful enough to puncture soda cans, apples and cardboard, depending on the projectile. Source