Live updates: Cross-examination of actress continues at Ghomeshi trial

TORONTO -- Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer is accusing "Trailer Park Boys" actress Lucy DeCoutere of withholding pertinent information about her friendship with the disgraced broadcaster until just this week.

See Full Article

During a tense cross-examination, Marie Henein has outlined a number of details about their friendship more than a decade ago that she says DeCoutere only told the Crown in recent days, after his sexual assault trial started.

  • Scroll down or click here to follow the trial through our live blog

Those interactions took place after DeCoutere alleges Ghomeshi choked and slapped her repeatedly after initiating a kiss with her in his home in the summer of 2003.

Henein suggested DeCoutere has held back information that indicates she's been dishonest about their subsequent relationship.

DeCoutere pushed back, saying she provided the new information when the opportunity presented itself. She added that some of those details hadn't made a significant impact on her -- the way his alleged choking did.

DeCoutere, who has waived her right to a publication ban, is the second complainant to take the stand at Ghomeshi's closely watched trial.

She is one of three women behind five charges against Ghomeshi -- four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking. He has pleaded not guilty.

DeCoutere acknowledged Thursday that her profile soared after she made public allegations against the former CBC host as Ghomeshi's lawyer repeatedly questioned why she maintained a friendship with him following an alleged attack.

DeCoutere alleges that 48-year-old former CBC Radio host started choking and slapping her in the face without warning while they were kissing.

While she recalled vivid details of the incident when questioned by a Crown prosecutor, Henein accused DeCoutere of omitting key details when talking to the police. Now she says she's revealed new details as recently as Thursday.

Henein asked why DeCoutere hadn't told police about some emails she exchanged with Ghomeshi after she alleges he assaulted her, noting the actress only disclosed them to the Crown on Thursday, after the first complainant to testify at the trial was confronted with her own emails to Ghomeshi sent 18 months after her separate alleged assaults.

"I didn't understand the importance of after-contact incidents," DeCoutere explained.

As in her cross-examination of the previous complainant, Henein didn't challenge DeCoutere's allegation that Ghomeshi hit her, but concentrated on other details of the time the two spent together.

Reading on an app? Tap here for full experience.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Four officers who responded to U.S. Capitol attack have died by suicide

    World News CTV News
    The District of Columbia's police department on Monday said two more police officers who responded to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol have died by suicide, bringing to four the number of known suicides by officers who guarded the building that day. Source
  • U.S. hits 70 per cent vaccination rate -- a month late, amid a surge

    World News CTV News
    The U.S. on Monday finally reached President Joe Biden's goal of getting at least one COVID-19 shot into 70 per cent of American adults -- a month late and amid a fierce surge by the delta variant that is swamping hospitals and leading to new mask rules and mandatory vaccinations around the country. Source
  • China flooding deaths triple to more than 300 after officials revise toll

    World News CBC News
    More than 300 people died in recent flooding in central China, authorities said Monday, three times the previously announced toll. The Henan provincial government said 302 people died and 50 remain missing. The vast majority of the victims were in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital, where 292 died and 47 are missing. Source
  • Woman fatally mauled by bear in northern Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Mounties say a female tree planter has been mauled to death by a bear in northern Alberta. RCMP told CTV News they received a call just after 3 p.m. on July 31 regarding an attack in a rural area northwest of Swan Hills. Source
  • Family of Black man fatally shot by police in Repentigny, Que., blame racism for his death

    Canada News CBC News
    The family of a Repentigny, Que., man who died after police shot him three times in the stomach on Sunday are blaming anti-Black racism in the city's police force for his death and are demanding justice. Marie-Mireille Bence, the mother of the victim, called police Sunday morning asking them to bring her son, Jean René Junior Olivier, 37, to the hospital because he was having a mental health issue. Source
  • Calgary woman felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Calgary woman says she felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Sixties Scoop survivors call for federal inquiry and apology

    Canada News CBC News
    WARNING: This story contains distressing details. Former Canadian senator Murray Sinclair and a group representing survivors of the Sixties Scoop are calling for a federal inquiry into the actions and policies of governments that led to thousands of Indigenous children being taken from their homes over four decades and placed with non-Indigenous families. Source
  • FBI used 'provocative photos' of female office staff to catch sexual predators, watchdog says

    World News CTV News
    FBI agents posted provocative photos of female coworkers online without formal authorization as part of sting operations against sex trafficking, according to a new watchdog report. The Justice Department's inspector general said in a report released Monday that some FBI agents "sometimes used photographs of young female support staff employees to pose as minor children or sex workers to entice sexual predators on various social media websites. Source
  • German court sets trial date for former Nazi guard, aged 100

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A German court has set a trial date for a 100-year-old man who is charged with 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he served as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin during World War II. Source