Cross-examination of actress to continue at Ghomeshi trial

TORONTO - Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer is to continue her cross-examination of "Trailer Park Boys" actress Lucy DeCoutere today in a Toronto court.

See Full Article

DeCoutere, who has waived her right to a publication ban, is the second complainant to take the stand at Ghomeshi's closely watched trial.

She is one of three women behind five charges against Ghomeshi - four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking. He has pleaded not guilty.

Ghomeshi has always denied any wrongdoing and claimed his sexual relations were consensual.

DeCoutere acknowledged Thursday that her profile soared after she made public allegations against the former CBC host as Ghomeshi's lawyer repeatedly questioned why she maintained a friendship with him following an alleged attack.

DeCoutere alleges that the 48-year-old CBC Radio host started choking and slapping her in the face without warning while they were kissing in his bedroom in the summer of 2003.

While she recalled vivid details of the incident when questioned by a Crown prosecutor, defence lawyer Marie Henein accused DeCoutere of omitting key details when talking to the police.

Henein asked why DeCoutere hadn't told police about some emails she exchanged with Ghomeshi after she alleges he assaulted her, noting the actress only disclosed them to the Crown this week, after the first complainant to testify at the trial was confronted with her own emails to Ghomeshi after her separate alleged assaults.

"I didn't understand the importance of after-contact incidents," DeCoutere explained.

As in her cross-examination of the previous complainant, Henein didn't challenged DeCoutere's allegation that Ghomeshi hit her, but concentrated on other details of the time the two spent together.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • UN chief: Saudi coalition attacks killed children in Yemen

    World News CTV News
    Secretary-General Antonio Guterres says in a draft report that the Saudi-led coalition was responsible for more than half the children killed and injured in Yemen's civil war last year. The report, obtained Thursday by The Associated Press, said the United Nations verified 1,340 casualties and attributed 683 -- representing 51 per cent -- to attacks carried out by the coalition. Source
  • What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona

    World News CTV News
    What we know so far about the terror attack in Barcelona Barcelona attack: Van driver kills 13, injures 100 Source
  • Quebec's debate on religious accommodation turns to buses, subway

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- Quebec's public transportation systems are the latest target in the ongoing debate in the province over religion and identity. Neither Montreal's transit authority nor unions representing bus and subway drivers wanted to comment Thursday on speculation that women wearing the Islamic niqab or burqa will be prevented from using public transportation. Source
  • In light and darkness, cities pay tribute to Barcelona victims

    World News CTV News
    Cities across the world used their landmarks to pay respect to those killed in a deadly van attack in one of Barcelona’s busiest districts on Thursday. In some cases, global landmarks were lit up in red and yellow, the colours of the Spanish flag. Source
  • Some New Brunswick lobster fishermen park boats in protest of low prices

    Canada News CTV News
    SHEDIAC, N.B. -- Some lobster fishermen in eastern New Brunswick tied up their boats and remained onshore Thursday in a protest over the prices they're getting for lobster. Fishermen in ports such as Pointe-Sapin and Richibucto remained at the docks, saying landings are down and prices are low. Source
  • 'You could see all the bodies lying through Las Ramblas'; At least 13 killed after van plows into pedestrians in ISIS-claimed Barcelona attack [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    BARCELONA, Spain — A white van jumped the sidewalk Thursday in Barcelona’s historic Las Ramblas district, crashing into a summer crowd of residents and tourists and injuring several people, police said. In a photograph shown by public broadcaster RTVE, three people were lying on the ground in the street of the northern Spanish city Thursday afternoon, apparently being helped by police and others. Source
  • Alberta trade minister says NAFTA talks no threat to oil and gas industry

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- Alberta's minister of trade says Canada's oil and gas industry has little to worry about as wide-ranging North American trade negotiations get underway. Speaking Thursday after a conference of state governments in Tacoma, Wash. Source
  • Amid the Washington circus, there’s boring NAFTA

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    So many distractions. Confederate statues in the United States are being toppled like chess pieces in the wake of hard-left-hard-right rioting in Charlottesville, Va. This provoked a double tweet from President Donald Trump. Part 1: “Sad to see the history and culture of our great country being ripped apart with the removal of our beautiful statues and monuments. Source
  • Federal government program to match funds for East Africa garners $21.3M in donations

    Canada News CBC News
    International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says a federal program to match donations for the East African famine generated $21.3 million from Canadians. The amount is one of the smallest responses to a Canadian government matching donation program since they initiated the idea for the Indian Ocean tsunami in 2004 — and at least one aid agency thinks the distraction of the political drama in the United States might bear some of the blame. Source
  • Deal reached in landmark lawsuit over harsh CIA interrogations

    World News CTV News
    SPOKANE, Wash. -- A settlement has been reached in a landmark lawsuit that the American Civil Liberties Union brought against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Source