Quebec judge grants bail to five of 14 men accused in child porn case

MONTREAL -- Five of 14 men accused in an alleged juvenile pornography ring in Quebec will be released while awaiting trial.

See Full Article

Three of the five appeared in front of a judge today and were given strict bail conditions, including having to hand in their passport and electronic devices. They are also prohibited from going to places frequented by children such as daycare and community centres.

The two others are expected to be released later in the day after appearing in front of Judge Silvie Kovacevich.

Vincent Rodrigue, 39, renounced his bail hearing as he was already in jail for an unrelated criminal offence at the time of his arrest in connection with the alleged porn ring.

The other eight accused are scheduled for a bail hearing next Tuesday.

The 14 face various charges, including possession and distribution of child pornography between 2003 and last month.

Police are still searching for a 15th suspect.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • British Airways flights out of London grounded by computer outage

    World News CBC News
    British Airways cancelled all flights from London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports on Saturday as a global IT failure upended the travel plans of tens of thousands of people on a busy U.K. holiday weekend. The airline said it was suffering a "major IT systems failure" around the world. Source
  • Global computer outage grounds British Airways Heathrow, Gatwick flights

    World News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — British Airways cancelled all flights from London’s Heathrow and Gatwick airports on Saturday as a global IT failure upended the travel plans of tens of thousands of people on a busy U.K. holiday weekend. The airline said it was suffering a “major IT systems failure” around the world. Source
  • More arrests in Manchester bombing as U.K. lowers threat level

    World News Toronto Sun
    MANCHESTER, England — Britain reduced its terrorism threat level a notch, from “critical” to “severe,” as authorities said major progress has been made in unravelling the plot behind the Manchester bombing. More arrests are expected. Prime Minister Theresa May said “a significant amount of police activity” and several arrests had led to the level being lowered. Source
  • ISIS claims responsibility for deadly attack on Coptic Christians in Egypt

    World News Toronto Sun
    MINYA, Egypt — The Islamic State group on Saturday claimed responsibility for the attack on a bus carrying Christians on their way to a remote desert monastery south of the Egyptian capital, Cairo, which killed 29. Egypt responded to Friday’s attack by launching a series of airstrikes that targeted what it said were militant bases in eastern Libya in which the assailants were trained. Source
  • 100 dead, 99 missing in Sri Lankan mudslides [Photos]

    World News Toronto Sun
    AGALAWATTE, Sri Lanka — Sri Lanka’s military said Saturday that it is doubtful any missing people will be found alive two days after torrents of mud triggered by heavy rain covered homes in southern and western parts of the country, killing 100 people and leaving 99 others missing. Source
  • Police on scene as London's Old Vic evacuated during performance

    World News CTV News
    MANCHESTER, England -- The Latest on the concert bombing in Manchester, England (all times local): 3:15 p.m. Hundreds of people have been evacuated London's Old Vic Theatre during a performance and police say they are on the scene. Source
  • Anti-Muslim slurs lead to triple stabbing on Portland train

    World News CBC News
    Two men were killed and a third injured in a knife attack after they tried to stop what police are describing as a hate speech incident in Portland, Oregon. The knife attack happened aboard a commuter train that had pulled into the city's Hollywood transit station around 4:30 p.m. Source
  • G7 summit ends without unanimity on climate deal

    World News CTV News
    A summit of the leaders of the world's wealthiest democracies has ended without a unanimous agreement on climate change, as the Trump administration plans to take more time to say whether the U.S. is going to remain in the Paris climate deal. Source
  • Trump makes G7 deal on trade, takes rain check on climate

    World News CTV News
    TAORMINA, Italy -- Seven wealthy democracies ended their summit Saturday in Italy without unanimous agreement on climate change, as the Trump administration plans to take more time to say whether the U.S. is going to remain in the Paris accord on limiting greenhouse gas emissions. Source
  • Lotto Max jackpot grows to $55 million

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    TORONTO — No winning ticket was sold for the $50 million jackpot in Friday night’s Lotto Max draw. There were also two Maxmillions prizes of $1 million each up for grabs, and one of them was claimed by a ticket holder in British Columbia. Source