Emails to Ghomeshi after alleged assaults were 'bait,' witness tells trial

The first witness in the Jian Ghomeshi trial is finished on the stand after being cross-examined by the lawyer for the disgraced radio host for a second day.

See Full Article

The witness was on the stand for approximately one hour on Tuesday, where she was questioned about a pair of emails she said she used to "bait" Ghomeshi into speaking to her about the alleged assaults.

The witness' allegations led to two of the four charges of sexual assault that have been filed against the radio host. He is also facing one count of overcoming resistance by choking. Ghomeshi has always denied any wrongdoing and claimed his sexual relations were consensual.

The Crown's first witness was questioned about incidents that occurred while she was on a date with Ghomeshi in late 2002, and on a second date in early 2003.

She told the courtroom that he had pulled her hair on a first date, and started "punching me in the head multiple times" on a second date.

Day 2 of the trial began with the court watching a video of the first witness's statement to police. She was then questioned by Ghomeshi's lawyer Marie Henein about inconsistencies in her testimony, based on the statement she made to Toronto police.

The witness was asked about whether Ghomeshi smashed her head against a window on their first date, something she said previously. In her testimony on Monday, she said that he pulled her hair, but did not say that he smashed her head.

She told Ghomeshi's lawyer that any inconsistencies in her statements are due to memory lapses or being nervous. She said her testimony on Monday was her recollection "to the best of my ability."

The witness was also asked about a pair of emails she sent to Ghomeshi a year after the alleged assaults. The emails appeared to contradict some of the statements the witness made, including the assertion that she never watched Ghomeshi's show, and hadn't been in contact with him again.

"Good to see you again! Your show is still great!" the first email said. She also asked him to email or call her, and sent him a photo of her in a bikini on the beach.

The witness told Henein that the emails were sent in an attempt to bait Ghomeshi into speaking to her.

"It was bait to call me so I could get an explanation as to why he would violently punch me in the head," she told the court.

"I had no interest in him."

After the cross-examination was over, the witness' lawyer, Jacob Jesin, read a statement on her behalf outside court.

In the statement, the witness said she felt like a "weight has been lifted" off her shoulders by telling her story.

"This experience of coming to court to testify and give evidence, and to face Mr. Ghomeshi has been extraordinarily difficult in light of what happened to me," said the statement.

"I always understood that this process would be difficult, and I remain satisfied that I chose to come forward, despite how difficult this process has been."

The witness also encouraged victims of abuse to come forward and "not be afraid."



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Toronto councillor wants Pride parade grant axed after event bans police floats

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- Amid mounting controversy over police participation in pride events across the country, a Toronto city councillor is calling for a municipal donation to Canada's largest Pride parade to be cut after the event banned police floats from future festivities. Source
  • Quebec introduces income-tax cuts and projects balanced budget

    Canada News CTV News
    QUEBEC - As governments across Canada fund services with billions in deficit spending, Quebec announced a third consecutive balanced budget Tuesday containing modest personal income-tax cuts. Finance Minister Carlos Leitao's penultimate budget before next year's provincial election makes the elimination of a health tax retroactive to 2016 for Quebecers earning less than $134,000 a year. Source
  • Quebec budget 2017: Trains, more for education, tax cuts for austerity-weary Quebecers

    Canada News CBC News
    Small tax cuts and bigger than expected increases for health and education will drive Quebec government spending in 2017. The Liberal government's fourth budget, tabled Tuesday, continues an effort begun last year to ease the pain of the austerity measures that marked the beginning of its mandate. Source
  • Touting coal industry, Trump dumps Obama's climate-change plan

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — Declaring “the start of a new era” in energy production, U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday that he said would revive the coal industry and create jobs. The move makes good on his campaign pledge to unravel former President Barack Obama’s plan to curb global warming. Source
  • Conservative senators come to Lynn Beyak's defence while others say 'shame'

    Canada News CBC News
    Conservative senators came to the defence of their colleague Lynn Beyak Tuesday, saying she has the right to free speech and should remain a member of the Red Chamber's Aboriginal Peoples committee, despite her rosy views of the residential school system. Source
  • Jean Lapierre remembered one year after fatal plane crash

    Canada News CBC News
    A commemorative mass was held Tuesday in memory of Jean Lapierre and the six others who were killed in a small plane crash over the Magdalen Islands one year ago. People gathered at Église Saint-François-Xavier de Bassin on the anniversary to pay their respects. Source
  • White House calls for domestic cuts to finance border wall

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- U.S. President Donald Trump is proposing immediate budget cuts of $18 billion from programs like medical research, infrastructure and community grants so U.S. taxpayers, not Mexico, can cover the down payment on the border wall. Source
  • Trump to meet China's Xi first week in April: U.S. official:

    World News CTV News
    In this Tuesday, Nov. 22, 2016 file photo, China's President Xi Jinping applauds during the bilateral trade agreements signing ceremony at the Palacio de La Moneda in Santiago, Chile. (AP / Luis Hidalgo, File) Source
  • Parents accused of murdering disabled son, setting house ablaze

    World News Toronto Sun
    GUILFORD, N.Y. — The parents of a mentally and physically disabled New York teenager have been indicted on murder charges that allege they killed him in the family’s New York home before setting it on fire to cover up the crime. Source
  • Number of snow days in N.S. schools amounts to a crisis: expert

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- An education expert says it is "bizarre" how often Nova Scotia schools are closed because of weather -- and the number of days lost this year amounts to a crisis. Paul Bennett, director of Schoolhouse Consulting in Halifax, said there has been an average of 12 lost days this school year in the province due to inclement weather. Source