Live from the courtroom: Day 2 of the Ghomeshi sexual assault trial

TORONTO - A woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted by Jian Ghomeshi will be back on the witness stand today as the trial of the disgraced former broadcaster continues.

See Full Article

  • Scroll down to follow the trial through our live blog

Ghomeshi, who used to host CBC Radio's popular culture show "Q," has pleaded not guilty to four counts of sexual assault - two of which relate to the woman who is testifying - and one count of overcoming resistance by choking. Ghomeshi has always denied any wrongdoing and claimed his sexual relations were consensual.

Yesterday, the woman told Ghomeshi's judge alone trial that the 48-year-old seemed like a charming gentleman who abruptly would turn violent.

She told the court Ghomeshi once yanked hard on her hair without warning when they were kissing in his car, and on another night a few weeks later, started suddenly punching her in the head while they were kissing in his living room.

The woman, who cannot be identified, says she didn't go to police when the alleged incidents took place in December 2002 and January 2003 because she didn't think anyone would listen.

Ghomeshi's defence lawyer tried to poke holes in the woman's testimony, however, highlighting inconsistencies between what she told police and what she said in court.

Marie Henein accused the woman of, at best, failing to remember important details of what she said happened, or, at worst, of making up some of her story.

The woman responded by repeatedly insisting she did not lie, but may not have correctly recalled certain peripheral points of her interaction with Ghomeshi.

Ghomeshi, who has been out on bail since being charged in November 2014, maintained a serious look throughout the first day of his highly-anticipated trial and watched Henein intently as she conducted her cross-examination.

Reading in an app? Tap here for full experience.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • German radio station apologizes after host compares K-pop band BTS to coronavirus

    World News CBC News
    A German radio station apologized Friday for a host's comments comparing popular South Korean K-pop band BTS to the coronavirus, saying his choice of words had gone too far but was in no way meant to be "hurtful or racist. Source
  • WE Charity had multiple 'opening' ceremonies for Kenya school: former donor

    Canada News CTV News
    OTTAWA -- A man who helped raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for WE Charity says he believes two different groups of donors were told they had raised the money for a school in Kenya. Reed Cowan testified before a parliamentary committee today where he said he discovered a plaque that had once borne his late son's name had been replaced with the name of another donor. Source
  • 400 escape, 25 dead after Haiti prison breakout: officials

    World News CTV News
    PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI -- Haitian authorities announced Friday that more than 400 inmates escaped and 25 people died in a prison breakout, making it the country's largest and deadliest one in a decade, with the prison director and a powerful gang leader among those killed. Source
  • B.C. prisoners asked for masks for months, didn't receive PPE until they tested positive for COVID-19, mom says

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- The mother of an inmate at a prison in B.C.'s Fraser Valley says her son and other prisoners have been asking for masks and other personal protective equipment since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, but weren't given any until several people in their cohort had tested positive for the disease. Source
  • Johnson & Johnson's single-shot COVID-19 vaccine endorsed by U.S. advisers

    World News CBC News
    U.S. health advisers endorsed a one-dose COVID-19 vaccine from Johnson & Johnson on Friday, putting the nation on the cusp of adding an easier-to-use option to fight the pandemic. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is expected to quickly follow the recommendation and make J&J's shot the third vaccine authorized for emergency use in the U.S. Source
  • Muslim woman targeted in racist attack says call to Edmonton police left her doubly traumatized

    Canada News CBC News
    A Black Muslim woman who was threatened and subjected to racial slurs at a south Edmonton LRT station says she has been doubly traumatized — by her assailant and city police. The woman, a student in her 20s who wears a hijab, says she remains terrified after the racially-motivated attack earlier this month. Source
  • Video shows officers posing in front of body; Vancouver police under investigation

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- A spokeswoman for Vancouver police says the conduct of two officers is under investigation after video footage emerged of the pair allegedly posing with a dead body at a popular beach. Const. Tania Visintin says the officers responded to calls about a deceased individual at Stanley Park's Third Beach, and waited for the coroner to arrive. Source
  • UN urges warring parties to halt fighting for vaccinations

    World News CTV News
    CAMEROON, CAMEROON -- The UN Security Council unanimously approved a resolution Friday demanding that all warring parties immediately institute a "sustained humanitarian pause" to enable the unhindered delivery of COVID-19 vaccines and the vaccination of millions of people in conflict areas. Source
  • Feds say Massachusetts man scammed 3 women out of $500,000

    World News CTV News
    BOSTON -- A Massachusetts man told women he met at online dating sites fantastic stories about being involved in explosions on foreign oil rigs and needing money to get out of a French jail to scam them out of more than $500,000, federal prosecutors said. Source
  • Black history must become part of Ontario’s curriculum to help fight systemic racism in schools, advocates say

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- An Ontario historian says Black history needs to become a mandatory part of the province’s curriculum instead of leaving it up to teachers to choose what kids will learn. Natasha Henry, the head of the Ontario Black History Society, told CTV News Toronto that her organization has been trying to push the province for decades to have Black history part of learning mandated in Ontario. Source