Family raises $50,000 to bring home N.S. man with terminal cancer

A Nova Scotia man with terminal cancer is preparing to return home one last time, after a fundraiser in his name raised more than $50,000.

See Full Article

Cameron Conrad is originally from Lawrencetown Beach, N.S., but he's spent years dividing his time between Atlantic Canada and Grande Prairie, Alta., where he worked.

The 57-year-old was in Grande Prairie when he began to experience pain and went to the doctor's for a diagnosis in November, 2015.

At first, doctors believed Conrad had shingles. But when the pain intensified they found the true cause: cancer in his lungs and bones.

"We don't really know how much time he has. He's done with treatment so his cancer's very aggressive and moving very fast," Conrad's wife, Marilyn Conrad, told CTV Calgary. "It could be weeks, it could be a month."

Since his diagnosis, Conrad has been bedridden in Calgary.

His dying wish is to return home, but he doesn't have the strength to sit up in a regular plane. Instead, he needs a special medevac to transport him, and that can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

"I'm trying to get home to Nova Scotia," Conrad says in a video filmed from his bed at Foothills Hospital in Calgary. "I just want to try and get home before I die."

Determined to help him, Conrad's friends and family launched an online fundraiser.

By Tuesday morning, the GoFundMe page had raised more than $50,000, and attracted the attention of Stephen Woodburn, the president and CEO of Advanced Paramedic Ltd.

Woodburn's business owns and operates both ground and air ambulances, and the CEO says he'll help get Conrad home, even if the dying man can't pay the full amount.

"I don't like to let dollars and cents get in the way of getting somebody home," Woodburn said. "If that's their last wish, then I think it's the least that we can do to make an effort."

On Monday, Marilyn Conrad said her family is grateful for the outpouring of support.

"It's hard to believe how many people out there really care and want to help and support," she said. "It's very important so that when he passes, he passes away with family and friends and ones that love him."

The family says the final hurdle in Conrad's journey is securing a bed at the QEII Hospital in Halifax.

Once that is complete, they hope to fly Conrad home in the next couple of days.

With files from CTV Calgary



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Girl's actions caused her to fall from NY park ride, police say

    World News CTV News
    QUEENSBURY, N.Y. -- As authorities tried to determine exactly how a 14-year-old Delaware girl managed to fall from a New York amusement park ride, one industry expert said even the strictest safety guidelines won't prevent accidents if customers don't follow the rules. Source
  • Professor who backed black-only Memorial Day celebration on Fox News fired by Essex County College

    World News Toronto Sun
    A mouthy college professor who was fired last week after making a litany of outrageous statements on live TV compared her removal from Essex County College to a “public lynching.” Lisa Durden, a former communications professor at the New Jersey-based institution, was dismissed following a controversial appearance on Fox News' Tucker Carlson Tonight. Source
  • Donald Trump: SCOTUS' travel ban decision 'clear victory' for national security

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court of the United States is letting a limited version of President Donald Trump’s ban on travel from six mostly Muslim countries take effect, a victory for Trump in the biggest legal controversy of his young presidency. Source
  • Salvador Dali’s bones to be exhumed for paternity test

    World News Toronto Sun
    MADRID — A Spanish judge has ordered the remains of artist Salvador Dali to be exhumed following a paternity suit by a woman. Dali, considered one of the fathers of surrealist art, died in 1989 and is buried in his museum in the northeastern town of Figueres. Source
  • Canada and China sign no-hacking agreement to protect trade secrets

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada and China have agreed not to engage in state-sponsored hacking of each other's trade secrets and business information. The two countries reached the agreement during a meeting last week that was part of their new high-level national security dialogue. Source
  • Police in Taber, Alta., treat burning of Pride flag as an arson case

    Canada News CTV News
    TABER, Alta. -- Police in a small southern Alberta town are treating the burning of a rainbow Pride flag as an arson case. Taber Police Chief Graham Abela says someone used fuel to light a flag pole on fire Saturday and the flames spread to the flag. Source
  • Live blog: Final arguments in Saretzky triple murder trial

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT Crown and defence lawyers are making their arguments in the murder trial of a man accused of killing a father, a little girl and a senior. Jurors at the trial of Derek Saretzky have heard weeks of evidence in the deaths of two-year-old Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette, her father Terry Blanchette, who was 27, and 69-year-old Hanne Meketech in September 2015. Source
  • 'Before tragedy strikes': Liberals launch centre to prevent home-grown terrorism

    Canada News CBC News
    The federal government has launched a new centre tasked with preventing the radicalization of Canadian young people. A special adviser will be named in coming months to oversee the local outreach and research projects funded through the Canada Centre for Community Engagement and Prevention of Violence. Source
  • Cladding manufacturer to stop production of some panels after Grenfell fire

    World News CBC News
    Cladding maker Arconic says it is discontinuing global sales of one type of composite paneling for high-rise buildings in the wake of the devastating fire that killed 79 people at Grenfell Tower. Arconic says in a statement Monday that Reynobond PE would no longer be sold for use in high-rise buildings. Source
  • Canadian woman first to lead Changing of the Guard ceremony

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    LONDON — A Canadian soldier has made history as the first woman to lead the Changing of the Guard ceremony at London’s Buckingham Palace. Megan Couto led her unit as it changed Queen Elizabeth II’s guards on Monday. Source