CRA unsure what taxpayer info it shared with CSIS

OTTAWA - The federal revenue agency says it doesn't know what sort of taxpayer information a rogue employee improperly shared with the Canadian Security Intelligence Service because CSIS has wiped the files from its database.

See Full Article

The Canada Revenue Agency told The Canadian Press that the employee who handed over the sensitive data - doing so even though CSIS lacked a judicial warrant - is no longer with the department.

The agency refused to disclose whether the person was fired or left voluntarily, citing privacy reasons.

And it is not clear if the taxpayers whose information was compromised were ever notified of the improper sharing.

The Security Intelligence Review Committee, the watchdog that keeps an eye on CSIS, revealed last week in its annual report that the spy and revenue agencies repeatedly breached the rules.

Questions were first raised by the Federal Court, prompting CSIS to ask the review committee to look into the matter.

After concerns emerged, there were assurances the sensitive revenue agency information had been purged from a CSIS database when, in fact, it was still there, the review committee's report says.

CSIS spokeswoman Tahera Mufti says the information is now "deleted from CSIS databases."

"It should be noted that none of the information received from the CRA was shared beyond CSIS," she added.

As a result, revenue agency spokesman Philippe Brideau said, it is unclear what was passed to the spy agency in the first place. "The CRA is unable to determine the details of the information that was shared with CSIS as it was removed permanently and in its entirety from CSIS systems."

Brideau suggested the deletion also made it impossible to notify taxpayers.

Mufti declined to say whether CSIS had done so. She also would not reveal what sort of information the spy service got from the revenue agency.

The review committee report said CSIS management issued a "stern reminder" to employees of the need for a warrant to collect taxpayer data, but the committee concluded that may not be sufficient.

Mufti said while she could not confirm or deny any "internal disciplinary measures that might have been taken," CSIS maintains "robust policies and procedures, clearly defining our roles and responsibilities."

"We continue to actively educate and train our staff on the latest updates on our policies."

The federal privacy commissioner is looking into the improper sharing.

"What we can tell you at this time is that we were aware of this issue and we have been examining it," said spokeswoman Valerie Lawton, who was not in a position to provide more details.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Firm says trees obstructing vision at Humboldt Broncos crash intersection

    Canada News CTV News
    REGINA -- A consulting firm says sight lines are a safety concern at the rural intersection where the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash happened. A 70-page safety review done for the Saskatchewan government says a stand of trees, mostly on private property, obstructs the view of drivers approaching from the south and east -- the same directions the bus and semi-trailer were coming from when they collided. Source
  • The staggering scale of France's battle against terror, by the numbers

    World News CBC News
    Welcome to The National Today newsletter, which takes a closer look at what's happening around some of the day's most notable stories. Sign up here and it will be delivered directly to your inbox Monday to Friday. Source
  • Rumble strips, lights among changes coming to Humboldt Broncos bus crash intersection

    Canada News CBC News
    The Saskatchewan government is promising to install rumble strips, lights, signs and road markers at the site where the Humboldt Broncos bus collided with a transport truck. The changes planned for the intersection of Highways 35 and 355 also include removal of trees, limiting nearby access roads, and the relocation of the roadside Broncos memorial. Source
  • LIVE UPDATES: Accused in murders of Calgary woman and her daughter testifies in own defence

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- A man accused of killing a Calgary woman and her daughter took the stand in his own defence at his first-degree murder trial on Wednesday. Edward Downey, who is 48, has pleaded not guilty in the deaths of Sara Baillie and her five-year-old daughter Taliyah Marsman. Source
  • Trudeau names four new senators — including a failed Liberal candidate

    Canada News CBC News
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's push to reconstitute the Senate and stack its benches with Independent senators continued apace today as he named four more people to the Senate — filling all the remaining vacancies in the Red Chamber. Source
  • B.C. court upholds extradition of pair accused of 'honour killing' in India

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER - A court has upheld the extradition of two British Columbia residents accused of hiring assailants to murder their relative in India because she married a poor rickshaw driver. The B.C. Court of Appeal has denied Malkit Kaur Sidhu and Surjit Singh Badesha's request for a stay of proceedings and a judicial review. Source
  • Former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen gets 3 years in prison

    World News CBC News
    Michael Cohen, U.S. President Donald Trump's former lawyer, has been sentenced to three years in prison for crimes including campaign finance violations and lying to Congress. Cohen apologized for his actions and told U.S. District Judge William Pauley III that "blind loyalty" to Trump led him to "cover up his dirty deeds. Source
  • Sexual assault victims of ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest sue Alpine Canada

    Canada News CBC News
    Three sexual assault victims of former ski coach Bertrand Charest are suing Alpine Canada, alleging the sports federation turned a blind eye to signs of wrongdoing. The three women are former Canadian skiers Genevieve Simard, Gail Kelly and Anna Prchal, who were all minors at the time of the offences for which Charest was convicted. Source
  • NDP wants RCMP to probe allegation Ford's office asked OPP for 'camper-type vehicle'

    Canada News CBC News
    NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is calling on the RCMP to investigate an allegation that Ontario Premier Doug Ford's office asked the provincial police force to buy him a specialized "camper-type vehicle." The alleged request is detailed in a Dec. Source
  • Former NDP MP Svend Robinson 'very seriously considering' federal run in 2019

    Canada News CBC News
    Former NDP MP Svend Robinson says he is "very seriously considering" a return to federal politics, noting that his former party is facing challenging times. Robinson, 66, represented the Vancouver-area riding of Burnaby for 25 years. He left politics in 2004 after he admitted stealing a diamond ring from an auction, saying he was under too much strain at the time. Source