'A start': Top soldier on sexual misconduct progress

Canada's top soldier says the military is making progress in addressing sexual misconduct within its ranks.

Chief of Defence Staff Gen.

See Full Article

Jonathan Vance released the first progress report Monday, on the Canadian Armed Forces’ efforts to address “inappropriate sexual behaviour” after a former Supreme Court judge concluded last year that sexual misconduct was “endemic” in the military.

Vance said the military has adopted, or is working on, a number of recommendations outlined in Marie Deschamps’ damning report.

Since Deschamps’ report was released in March, 2015, the military has opened a sexual misconduct response centre, where members and others can file complaints. The centre operates “outside of the military chain of command,” but provides the armed forces with the information needed to implement new policies, according to the progress report.

The military is also planning to survey its personnel to better understand the scope of the problem, Vance said.

“This will take time, but we are determined,” he said. “The consequences of not succeeding are simply too dire.”

When Vance took command last summer, he vowed to change the military culture and end “harmful behaviour.”

“Last July, I lamented the fact that there were, within our ranks, members who bullied, degraded and even assaulted fellow brothers and sisters in arms, preying on those perceived as different or vulnerable,” he said Monday.

He said that type of behaviour cannot persist and called the first progress report “a start.”

“We have begun to alter some of the behaviours contributing to the problem through increased awareness, stronger understanding and enhanced diligence,” Vance said.

The progress report released Monday shows that 204 individuals, including 156 members of the Canadian Armed Forces, contacted the sexual misconduct response centre between Sept. 15, 2015 and the end of December. Of those, 53 reported an alleged sexual offence and 32 contacted the centre about sexual harassment.

The report says that 23 calls to the response centre were referred to a military police liaison officer, and six investigations have been opened as a result.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • 3 infants among 5 people stabbed at NYC neighbourhood daycare

    World News CBC News
    Police say five people, including three infants, were stabbed at an overnight daycare centre in New York City. Authorities say the stabbings happened just before 4 a.m. Friday at a home in Queens. A three-day-old girl and a one-month-old girl were stabbed in the abdomen and a 20-day-old girl suffered cuts to her ear, chin and lip. Source
  • Trump stumps for vulnerable senator, attacks news media at boisterous rally

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- His own political fortunes intrinsically linked to his party holding control of Congress, U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday offered full-throated support for the most vulnerable incumbent Republican senator, while unleashing a torrent of grievances against Democrats and the news media and claiming they are sabotaging his administration. Source
  • Ontario high school students plan walkout over curriculum

    Canada News CTV News
    Students across Ontario are being urged to walk out of school Friday in protest of changes to sex education and indigenous curriculum. The effort is being called the March for Our Education. Students, teachers and staff at more than 100 Ontario high schools are expected to take part. Source
  • China, Russia slam U.S. over sanctions related to their military transactions

    World News CBC News
    The Chinese government expressed anger on Friday and demanded the withdrawal of Trump administration sanctions laid a day earlier on its military for purchases made in Russia. The sanctions, part of a sweeping law punishing Moscow for interfering in the 2016 U.S. Source
  • Millionaire fugitive accused of murdering wife may be hiding in Canada

    Canada News CTV News
    Police are urging the public to be on the lookout for a millionaire fugitive accused of murdering his wife in their California mansion who they believe may be hiding in Canada. Peter Chadwick was charged with killing his wife Quee, known as Q.C. Source
  • U.K. hits back after EU trashes May's Brexit plan

    World News CTV News
    LONDON -- The British government on Friday accused the European Union of slamming the handbrake on Brexit negotiations, after the bloc said Prime Minister Theresa May's blueprint was unworkable. European Council President Donald Tusk said bluntly at a meeting in Salzburg, Austria on Thursday that parts of May's plan simply "will not work," while French President Emmanuel Macron called pro-Brexit U.K. Source
  • Japan space rovers dispatched to asteroid to collect data

    World News CBC News
    A Japanese spacecraft has released two small exploration robots on an asteroid in a research effort that may provide clues to the origin of the solar system. The Japan Space Exploration Agency said the two Minerva-II-1 rovers were lowered from the unmanned spacecraft Hayabusa2 to the asteroid Ryugu. Source
  • Death toll reaches 100 in Tanzania ferry disaster, state media say

    World News CBC News
    More than 100 bodies have been recovered after a ferry sank Thursday in Lake Victoria, according to Tanzanian state radio, and many more people are feared missing as rescuers search for survivors. Radio TBC Taifa reported Friday the latest toll from the sinking of the ferry MV Nyerere, which capsized just a few metres from the dock on Ukerewe, the lake's biggest island, which is part of Tanzania. Source
  • Ottawa announces 'first step' in reviving Trans Mountain pipeline project

    Canada News CBC News
    The federal Liberal government will make an announcement in Halifax this morning regarding the future of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project. Amarjeet Sohi, minister of natural resources, and Jonathan Wilkinson, minister of fisheries and oceans, will reveal the details starting at 9 a.m. Source
  • North Carolina residents reckon with lost homes, livelihoods as floodwaters recede

    World News CBC News
    With floodwaters from Florence receding in some places and still menacing others following last week's hurricane-tropical storm, tired and waterlogged North Carolinians are finally getting a chance to take stock of the destruction from the wind and floodwaters. Source