Canadian military releases progress report on sexual misconduct

Canada’s top soldier says the military is making progress in addressing sexual misconduct within the ranks.

Chief of Defence Staff Gen.

See Full Article

Jonathan Vance released a progress report Monday on the Canadian Armed Forces’ efforts to address “inappropriate sexual behaviour” after a former Supreme Court judge concluded last year that sexual misconduct was “endemic” in the military.

Vance said the military has adopted or is working on a number of recommendations outlined in Marie Deschamps’ damning report.

Since Deschamps’ report was released in March 2015, the military has opened a sexual misconduct response centre, where members and others can file complaints. The military is also planning to survey its personnel to better understand the scope of the problem, Vance said.

“This will take time, but we are determined,” he said. “The consequences of not succeeding are too dire.”

The progress report released Monday shows that 204 individuals, including 156 members of the Canadian Armed Forces, contacted the sexual misconduct response centre between Sept. 15, 2015 and the end of December. Of those, 53 reported a sexual offence and 32 contacted the centre about sexual harassment.

Developing story



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Steve Bannon refuses to comply with U.S. House subpoena

    World News CBC News
    U.S. President Donald Trump's former chief strategist Steve Bannon declined on Tuesday to comply with a subpoena ordering him to answer questions from a U.S. House intelligence panel about his time at the White House as part of its investigation into allegations of Russian interference in the U.S. Source
  • Hawaii didn't need approval to retract missile alert: FEMA

    World News CTV News
    HONOLULU - The Federal Emergency Management Agency said the state of Hawaii didn't need federal approval to retract a cellphone alert mistakenly sent over the weekend warning of a ballistic missile attack. Hawaii has had the authority to cancel or retract warnings since 2012, when it applied for access to the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System, FEMA said in a statement. Source
  • Wynne to shuffle several senior cabinet posts: CP

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Premier Kathleen Wynne is shuffling several senior portfolios in her cabinet, less than five months before the Ontario election, The Canadian Press has learned. Deputy Premier and Advanced Education Minister Deb Matthews, Treasury Board President Liz Sandals and Economic Development Minister Brad Duguid have all said they're not running in the June election, and Wynne is filling those jobs with politicians who are up for re-election. Source
  • Federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh engaged to clothing designer Gurkiran Kaur

    Canada News CBC News
    Federal New Democratic Party Leader Jagmeet Singh pulled back the curtain on his closely guarded private life, letting Canadians know Tuesday night that he is engaged. Singh, 38, proposed to girlfriend Gurkiran Kaur, 27, at a private party Tuesday night just blocks away from the Ontario legislature in Toronto where he served as a provincial legislator for six years. Source
  • Puerto Rico embraces 'broken windows' policing amid surge in killings

    World News CTV News
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Federal and local authorities in Puerto Rico said Tuesday that they will implement a "broken windows" policing campaign to fight a surge in killings across the U.S. territory, which has reported 46 homicides so far this month -- double the number at the same point last year. Source
  • 2 Koreas talk about Olympic co-operation ahead of IOC meeting

    World News CBC News
    The two Koreas are meeting Wednesday for the third time in about 10 days to continue their discussions on Olympics co-operation, days ahead of talks with the IOC on North Korean participation in the upcoming Winter Games in the South. Source
  • Young Hong Kong democracy activist sentenced to 3 months in jail

    World News CTV News
    Pro-democracy young activist Joshua Wong talks to reporters in front of the Court of Final Appeal Hong Kong, Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018. (Vincent Yu/AP Photo) Source
  • Nigerian army releases 244 suspects who denounced Boko Haram

    World News CTV News
    MAIDUGURI, Nigeria -- Nigeria's army released 244 Boko Haram suspects who have denounced their membership in the deadly extremist group, Nigerian army officials said Tuesday. Those released Monday included 118 adult males, 56 women, 19 teens and 51 children, according to operation commander Maj. Source
  • Longshot bid proposes splitting California into two states

    World News CTV News
    SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A fresh effort is underway to split California into multiple states, one including its coastal cities and the other its rural and inland areas. "New California" is just the latest proposal to divvy up the nation's most populous state. Source
  • Myanmar army enjoys popularity surge amid Rohingya crackdown

    World News CTV News
    BANGKOK -- Activist Nyo Tun spent 10 years as a political prisoner locked away by Myanmar's military in the notorious Insein prison, where he endured beatings and other cruelty for his efforts to bring democracy. Source