Tens of thousands without power after storm in Nova Scotia

HALIFAX -- Heavy snowfall has left tens of thousands of Nova Scotians without power today.

About 43,200 Nova Scotia Power customers were in the dark mid-Saturday morning in more than 16 communities across the province, from Cape Breton to the South Shore.

See Full Article

Utility spokeswoman Bev Ware says at one point, 67,000 customers were without power.

The utility says some people may not have power until late Saturday or Sunday morning as crews grapple with heavy, wet snow that has built up on tree branches, causing them to droop over power lines.

Nova Scotia Power says crews are also dealing with poor driving conditions and deep snow is making it difficult to access certain areas.

The utility's Paul Casey says they are working with the provincial Transportation Department to access sites that have sustained damage.

Casey says power line technicians and tree trimming crews from Emera Utility Services and New Brunswick are also helping out.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Death toll climbs to nine as Typhoon Hato moves through China

    World News CTV News
    BEIJING - The death toll from Typhoon Hato has risen to at least nine as the most powerful storm to hit the southern China region around Hong Kong in more than half a century barrelled west Thursday and was losing strength. Source
  • Lucky numbers for US$700M Powerball jackpot drawn

    World News CTV News
    DES MOINES, Iowa - Lottery players across the U.S. scooped up $2 Powerball tickets in hopes of beating the odds and winning a massive $700 million jackpot in Wednesday night's drawing. Some details about the game and the giant prize: Source
  • Pearson ground crew strike continues after union votes 98% against Swissport contract offer

    Canada News CBC News
    The union representing some 700 baggage handlers, cabin cleaners and other ground crew has voted overwhelmingly against a contract offer by Swissport, meaning workers won't be ending their work stoppage, which has gone on four weeks already. Source
  • Arsenic poisoning a risk for 50M in Pakistan: study

    Canada News CTV News
    ISLAMABAD -- Some 50 million people are at risk of arsenic poisoning from contaminated groundwater in Pakistan's Indus Valley -- far more than previously thought, according to a new study. Pakistan is aware of the growing problem, with arsenic levels rising in some areas as people increasingly and indiscriminately draw from the country's underground aquifers, said Lubna Bukhari, who heads the government's Council for Research in Water Resources. Source
  • 'I'm a f------ Nazi,' said a Manitoba man to a woman asking for directions

    Canada News CBC News
    A Calgary woman who came to visit her family in Manitoba this summer says she was shocked by the racist verbal attack she endured when she asked a stranger for directions. In an exchange Calgary teacher Kaniz Fatima captured on video, a man who described himself as a "Nazi" told her to take off her "head towel off" because it "supports Muslims. Source
  • U.S. won't stand by as Venezuela crumbles, VP Pence says

    World News CBC News
    U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence addressed a sympathetic crowd of Venezuelans in South Florida and pledged the U.S. will use its economic and diplomatic power to push for free elections. Pence spoke at a church in the city of Doral, the exile enclave, to a crowd of about 300. Source
  • Baby found dead in car parked in P&G employee lot in Ohio

    World News Toronto Sun
    MASON, Ohio — A baby girl has been found dead in a car parked in a Procter & Gamble employee parking lot in Ohio. The chief investigator for the Warren County Coroner’s Office says the 15-month-old was found around 5 p.m. Source
  • Baby dies after mother leaves her in vehicle outside workplace

    World News CTV News
    MASON, Ohio -- A baby girl who was found dead in a car parked in a Procter & Gamble employee parking lot in Ohio was left there by her mother while she was at work, authorities said Wednesday night. Source
  • Accused Yahoo hacker pleads not guilty in U.S. court, lawyer says

    Canada News CTV News
    SAN FRANCISCO -- A lawyer of a Canadian man accused in a massive hack of Yahoo emails says his client has pleaded not guilty to all charges against him in a San Francisco courtroom on Wednesday. Source
  • Alleged Yahoo hacker Karim Baratov pleads not guilty in San Fran court

    World News Toronto Sun
    Alleged Yahoo hacker Karim Baratov pleaded not guilty to all charges Wednesday in a San Francisco courtroom, according to multiple reports. The 22-year-old Kazakhstan-born Canadian from Ancaster, Ont., is facing 11 charges in the United States, including conspiracy to commit wire fraud and conspiracy to commit computer fraud and abuse. Source