Grade 3 teacher among those charged in child porn ring

A Grade 3 teacher and a Quebec scouts association leader are among 13 men accused of collaborating together in an online child pornography ring.

See Full Article

Investigators allege that the men discussed their experiences sexually abusing children and swapped tactics and places to find victims.

The accused men, who are between 27 and 74 years old, were arrested and hard drives were confiscated on Wednesday in co-ordinated raids in six cities across the province.

Charges include possession and distribution of child pornography and relate to incidents ranging back to 2003.

Among those arrested are third grade teacher Claude Paquette, 31, and youth scouts leader Dave Turcotte, 36, who had been kicked out of another youth organization for driving a child home unaccompanied.

Paquette has been suspended from Ecole Primaire Ile des Soeurs in Montreal and students have been offered counselling services. The school board sent a letter home advising parents how to discuss the topic with their kids.

“Everybody just had the same reaction: total shock,” parent Gloria Pacitto told CTV News.

Paquette and Turcotte knew each other personally through volunteer work with L'Association des aventuriers de Baden-Powell (AABP), a youth scouting organization.

The men volunteered with kids aged 9 to 12 in Outremont and Beloeil for about two hours each week. They’d held the roles for the past five months.

"We know that scouting, it's an association where people who have some deviance want to go there, and we try to do the best to protect them but we don't have 100 per cent activity," AABP vice-president Nicolas Rousseau told CTV Montreal.

The two suspects had clear records when they joined the scouting organization, Rousseau said.

"These two guys don't have criminal records before, they show up with good references and everything was good for us," said Rousseau.

Before joining the AABP, Turcotte had been abruptly dismissed from the Association des Scouts du Canada for driving a scout home alone -- a violation of the organization’s policy.

"(Dave Turcotte) was kicked out of the Association des Scouts du Canada in July 2015. He drove a child home without another scout leader in the car, which violates our rules," said spokesperson Philippe Jacques.

The 13 men remain in custody pending their upcoming court appearances. Bail hearings are set for Tuesday, Feb. 2.

None of the allegations against them have been proven in court.

With files from CTV News’ Kevin Gallagher and CTV Montreal



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Man arrested in slaying of 75-year-old African American museum founder

    World News CTV News
    The suspect in the slaying of a community leader who founded Baton Rouge's African American history museum was a tenant who owed her back rent, authorities said Tuesday. Ronn Jermaine Bell, 38, was arrested Tuesday on a charge of first-degree murder, city Police Chief Murphy J. Source
  • Von der Leyen confirmed as new European Commission president

    World News CTV News
    BRUSSELS - Ursula von der Leyen was confirmed as the European Commission president Tuesday, becoming the first woman to hold one of the most prestigious positions in the European Union and who will be one of the most prominent faces from the bloc on the world stage. Source
  • Rescuers look for survivors after building collapse in India

    World News CTV News
    MUMBAI, India -- Rescuers cleared debris and used sniffer dogs Wednesday to find possible survivors under the rubble of a dilapidated building that collapsed in India's financial capital of Mumbai. At least 12 people were killed, and several are still feared trapped. Source
  • Northern Ontario First Nation declares state of emergency over water quality

    Canada News CTV News
    An escalation of long-standing issues with its water supply pushed a First Nation in northern Ontario to declare a state of emergency, its chief said Tuesday as he called for help dealing with the problem. Source
  • Two women allege inappropriate messages from Manitoba grand chief

    Canada News CTV News
    Two women have come forward with allegations of inappropriate text messages involving the province’s grand chief, while the First Nations leader denies any wrongdoing. Bethany Maytwayashing said she first met Manitoba Grand Chief Arlen Dumas while working at a Winnipeg restaurant in 2018 and saw him again in May 2019. Source
  • Hong Kong protests expand to oppose China, with no end near

    World News CTV News
    HONG KONG -- Colin Wong has come to know the sting of pepper spray well. After more than a month of demonstrations in Hong Kong's sweltering heat, memories of the burning sensation are a constant reminder of what protesters call an excessive use of force by police. Source
  • FBI report: Mailed pipe bomb devices wouldn't have worked

    World News CTV News
    This frame grab from video provided by WPLG-TV shows FBI agents escorting Cesar Sayoc, in sleeveless shirt, in Miramar, Fla., on Friday, Oct. 26, 2018. (WPLG-TV via AP) Source
  • John Paul Stevens, former U.S. Supreme Court justice, dies at 99

    World News CBC News
    John Paul Stevens, who served on the U.S. Supreme Court for nearly 35 years and became its leading liberal, died on Tuesday at the age of 99. Stevens' influence was felt on issues including abortion rights, protecting consumers and placing limits on the death penalty. Source
  • Former U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens dies at 99

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- John Paul Stevens, the bow-tied, independent-thinking, Republican-nominated justice who unexpectedly emerged as the Supreme Court's leading liberal, died Tuesday in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, after suffering a stroke Monday. He was 99. During nearly 35 years on the court, Stevens stood for the freedom and dignity of individuals, be they students or immigrants or prisoners. Source
  • Winnipeg Youth Choir wows with rendition of 'Lean on Me' in mineshaft

    Canada News CTV News
    The Winnipeg Youth Choir is experiencing a moment of online fame thanks to the good acoustics of a mineshaft. A video of the choir belting out a rendition of Bill Withers’ Lean on Me at the Cape Breton Miners Museum has gone viral, amassing over 100,000 views on Facebook since it was uploaded Wednesday. Source