Mounties describe 'harrowing' recapture of escaped Alberta inmate

FORT NELSON, B.C. - British Columbia RCMP are describing a "harrowing" attempt to recapture an escaped Alberta prisoner this week, saying at one point the man and an accomplice carjacked a 16-year-old boy and a baby.

See Full Article

Cpl. Dan Moskaluk of the Northern Rockies RCMP says in a news release that the chase began Tuesday morning when employees at a Husky bulk fuel plant along Highway 97 reported seeing Harley John Lay, 29.

While several Mounties stopped traffic on the highway, others moved in and tried to stop a minivan carrying the prisoner, but it got away.

Down the road, they deployed a spike belt which slowed the vehicle as it continued toward Fort Nelson, B.C., with officers following at a safe distance behind with emergency lights and sirens activated.

One the minivan hit city limits, the pursuit was stopped but officers later spotted the vehicle and approached it, arresting a female occupant without incident.

Then, police received a report of a truck at a fast-food restaurant being carjacked.

"It was alleged that the two males obtained the vehicle by telling a 16-year-old male to get out of the truck," says Moskaluk.

"The young man did have time to retrieve an infant that was in a car seat in the vehicle."

RCMP found the truck in a ditch. Moskaluk says police allege Lay and a second male tried to commandeer another vehicle but traffic would not stop for them. They were arrested without incident.

Mounties allege Lay escaped on Monday while he was being escorted to a hospital in Peace River, Alta.

They say a masked gunman confronted guards who were escorting Lay, and that the pair jumped into a minivan driven by a third person.

Court records indicate Lay was most recently was behind bars facing numerous charges, including unlawful confinement, dating back to last July.

He also faced a charge of escaping lawful custody in 2011 and has previously served time for drug trafficking.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Four officers who responded to U.S. Capitol attack have died by suicide

    World News CTV News
    The District of Columbia's police department on Monday said two more police officers who responded to the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol have died by suicide, bringing to four the number of known suicides by officers who guarded the building that day. Source
  • U.S. hits 70 per cent vaccination rate -- a month late, amid a surge

    World News CTV News
    The U.S. on Monday finally reached President Joe Biden's goal of getting at least one COVID-19 shot into 70 per cent of American adults -- a month late and amid a fierce surge by the delta variant that is swamping hospitals and leading to new mask rules and mandatory vaccinations around the country. Source
  • China flooding deaths triple to more than 300 after officials revise toll

    World News CBC News
    More than 300 people died in recent flooding in central China, authorities said Monday, three times the previously announced toll. The Henan provincial government said 302 people died and 50 remain missing. The vast majority of the victims were in Zhengzhou, the provincial capital, where 292 died and 47 are missing. Source
  • Woman fatally mauled by bear in northern Alberta

    Canada News CTV News
    EDMONTON -- Mounties say a female tree planter has been mauled to death by a bear in northern Alberta. RCMP told CTV News they received a call just after 3 p.m. on July 31 regarding an attack in a rural area northwest of Swan Hills. Source
  • Family of Black man fatally shot by police in Repentigny, Que., blame racism for his death

    Canada News CBC News
    The family of a Repentigny, Que., man who died after police shot him three times in the stomach on Sunday are blaming anti-Black racism in the city's police force for his death and are demanding justice. Marie-Mireille Bence, the mother of the victim, called police Sunday morning asking them to bring her son, Jean René Junior Olivier, 37, to the hospital because he was having a mental health issue. Source
  • Calgary woman felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Calgary woman says she felt 'humiliated' by Alberta sheriffs during a traffic stop

    Canada News CTV News
    CALGARY -- KumKum Roychowdhury says she was driving home to Calgary from her nephew's home in Airdrie, Atla., when she was pulled over by Alberta sheriffs and asked to take a breathalyzer. When she struggled to provide a proper sample after 17 attempts, she said that's when officers told her to remove part of her cultural outfit and open her clothing, an idea she was "insulted" by. Source
  • Sixties Scoop survivors call for federal inquiry and apology

    Canada News CBC News
    WARNING: This story contains distressing details. Former Canadian senator Murray Sinclair and a group representing survivors of the Sixties Scoop are calling for a federal inquiry into the actions and policies of governments that led to thousands of Indigenous children being taken from their homes over four decades and placed with non-Indigenous families. Source
  • FBI used 'provocative photos' of female office staff to catch sexual predators, watchdog says

    World News CTV News
    FBI agents posted provocative photos of female coworkers online without formal authorization as part of sting operations against sex trafficking, according to a new watchdog report. The Justice Department's inspector general said in a report released Monday that some FBI agents "sometimes used photographs of young female support staff employees to pose as minor children or sex workers to entice sexual predators on various social media websites. Source
  • German court sets trial date for former Nazi guard, aged 100

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- A German court has set a trial date for a 100-year-old man who is charged with 3,518 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he served as a Nazi SS guard at a concentration camp on the outskirts of Berlin during World War II. Source