Former astronaut Marc Garneau recalls Challenger explosion

Former astronaut and current Transportation Minister Marc Garneau can clearly recall the horrific moment he saw the Challenger space shuttle explode over the Atlantic Ocean – the same shuttle he’d flown in just two years prior.

See Full Article

Garneau spoke with CTV News Channel on Thursday, to look back on the tragedy on its 30-year anniversary and remember the seven astronauts who lost their lives aboard Challenger.

“I remember that day, being at the Johnson Space Center,” Garneau said. “We had trouble really processing what we were seeing with our eyes … we were in a sense playing tricks with our minds and trying not to believe something that inside ourselves we really knew what had happened.”

Garneau said the anniversary marks “a very sad day for me personally” because he had trained and become close friends with the astronauts who died. He had also journeyed aboard the Challenger in 1984 as the mission’s payload specialist.

The tragedy unfolded on Jan. 28, 1986 as Challenger launched from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The lift off appeared normal until the shuttle began to careen off course and, just 73-seconds into the flight, burst into flames.

The explosion was broadcast live around the globe, marking one of the darkest days for NASA and space travel as a whole. All seven crew members aboard were killed, including Christa McAuliffe, a school teacher who’d been specially chosen to fly in the mission.

“There had been 25 space flights with a shuttle and they’d all went well, but then, suddenly, this one went horribly wrong,” Garneau said.

The explosion took an immediate toll on the astronaut community, who were “very shaken” by the accident, Garneau said, despite the keen understanding of the possible dangers of space travel.

“That day we were reminded very, very clearly that things can go wrong. The important thing afterwards was to learn from the experience for everybody and to try to make sure that it didn’t happen again,” he said.

An investigation later determined that a faulty “O-ring” seal on a rocket booster allowed hot gas to escape, leading to the explosion. Cold temperatures are believed to have factored in to the explosion as well.

Garneau says that space travel will never be “100 per cent safe,” but important lessons were learned.

“I think NASA came out of it as a safer organization, that they had learned some important lessons and that in fact is what is most important here,” he said.

Despite the Challenger’ disaster, Garneau said the lure of space remained strong.

“I don’t think there was a single astronaut who had not flown who said ‘I’m quitting. I’m not going to be in this profession.’ I think that the lure for the individual of wanting to go into space is so powerful we are prepared to accept some risk,” he said.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • United Methodist Church chides Sessions over border policy

    World News CTV News
    House GOP gets little direction from Trump on immigration United Methodist Church chides Sessions over border policy Youngest child migrants held in 'tender age' shelters in Texas Source
  • Navy submarine set to return to Halifax after five-month deployment

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The Royal Canadian Navy submarine HMCS Windsor is expected to return to Halifax today after completing a five-month deployment in the Euro-Atlantic region. The Victoria-class submarine was on patrol as part of Operation Projection, conducting training exercises with navies and other international security partners. Source
  • Palace says Prince Louis to be christened July 9

    World News CTV News
    LONDON - Britain's royal palace says Prince Louis will be christened July 9 by Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby. The third son of Prince William and his wife Kate, Duchess of Cambridge was born April 23 and is fifth in line to the throne. Source
  • Indonesia ferry deaths rise to more than 190 as survivors report severe overcrowding

    World News CBC News
    Distraught relatives slammed Indonesia's government for not enforcing basic safety measures on passenger boats and pleaded Wednesday for a bigger search effort for more than 190 people presumed drowned after a ferry sank on a picturesque Sumatran lake earlier this week. Source
  • Pope criticizes Trump administration policy on migrant family separation

    World News CBC News
    Pope Francis has criticized the Trump administration's policy of separating migrant families at the Mexican border, saying populism is not the answer to the world's immigration problems. Speaking to Reuters, the Pope said he supported recent statements by U.S. Catholic bishops who called the separation of children from their parents "contrary to our Catholic values" and "immoral. Source
  • Two men in hospital with head injuries after alleged assault with baseball bats

    Canada News CTV News
    HALTON HILLS, Ont. - Police say two men are in hospital with serious head injuries after their car was surrounded and they were allegedly beaten with baseball bats early Wednesday morning. Halton Regional Police say the incident happened on the border between Halton and Peel regions, where three men were in a car that was surrounded by several "suspect vehicles. Source
  • Aurora Cannabis to spin out U.S. assets into separate company

    Canada News CBC News
    Canada's second largest cannabis company plans to place its U.S. assets into a new separate company that will focus on investing in the cannabis and real estate sector there. TSX-listed Aurora Cannabis said Wednesday it plans to distribute units of its subsidiary Australis Capital Inc. Source
  • Mandalay Bay hotel in Vegas floods after water main break

    World News CTV News
    LAS VEGAS -- A water main broke Tuesday flooding a convention centre in the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review Journal reports that the break dumped water onto the first floor of the convention area, and about a thousand people on the second floor had to be relocated. Source
  • Many in Puerto Rico still under tarps as storm threat looms

    World News CTV News
    SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Hurricane Maria ripped away part of the steel roof from Carmen Lidia Torres Mercado's home in the Puerto Rican capital. Nine months later, she is still relying on a blue plastic tarp to protect her home, even with a new storm season already two weeks old. Source
  • Ont. police lay nearly 700 charges against truckers during 24-hour blitz

    Canada News CTV News
    ORILLIA, Ont. - Provincial police say they laid nearly 700 charges against transport truck drivers during a day-long blitz on Ontario's roads last week. Police partnered with the Ministry of Transportation and stopped a total of 1,692 trucks over the 24-hour period on June 13 and 14. Source