Young man convicted in Rehtaeh Parsons case facing new, unrelated charges

HALIFAX - One of two young men who pleaded guilty to child pornography charges in the high-profile Rehtaeh Parsons case is now facing a series of charges related to an alleged robbery.

See Full Article

The man, who is now 21, can't be named because he was a minor when he posed for an explicit photo showing him having sex with the 15-year-old, and then distributed the picture to some classmates.

Parsons was 17 when she taken off life-support in April 2013 after attempting suicide.

Her case attracted national attention when her family alleged she had been sexually assaulted by the boy in November 2011 and bullied after the photo was passed around her school.

The young man was sentenced to a year's probation for distributing child pornography. This week he appeared in court to face unrelated theft and firearms charges after an alleged robbery.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Casualties mount as Iraqi troops advance into Mosul

    World News CTV News
    MOSUL, Iraq -- "We have wounded!" the men shouted from the roadside. Two soldiers, bleeding, were being bandaged beside their smoking vehicle on the side of a dusty dirt road. Iraqi special forces Maj. Source
  • California officials work to stop Oroville Dam's outflow to clear debris

    World News CTV News
    OROVILLE, Calif. -- California water authorities will stop the outflow from the Oroville Dam's crippled spillway to allow workers to remove debris blocking a hydroelectric plant from working, officials said Sunday. The Department of Water Resources said it will start gradually reducing outflows from the Northern California dam beginning Monday morning and completely halt them by the afternoon. Source
  • Charlie Angus enters NDP leadership race [Video]

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    OTTAWA — And then there were two. Ontario MP Charlie Angus officially entered the NDP leadership race Sunday — a competition that’s expected to start heating up soon with a debate scheduled for next month in Ottawa. Source
  • Aide defends Trump's decision to skip correspondents' dinner: He wasn't elected 'to spend his time with reporters and celebrities' [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    Donald Trump will be working to improve the country when he skips the media love-in known as the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner. The White House says people should expect the president to spend that Saturday night in April “focused on what he can to do to help better America. Source
  • New Orleans crash suspect’s alcohol level 3 times legal limit: Cops [Video]

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW ORLEANS — Authorities on Sunday identified the man who allegedly plowed into a crowd enjoying a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans while intoxicated. The New Orleans Police Department issued a statement identifying the man as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto. Source
  • Winnipeg police find person of interest in alleged mall fluid assault case

    Canada News CTV News
    Winnipeg police say they're waiting for a forensic examination of a substance a man allegedly sprayed on a teenage girl in a shopping mall before deciding whether to lay charges. Investigators released a security image on Saturday from the St. Source
  • Phooey to ‘phobias’

    Canada News Toronto Sun
    If you suffer from a fear of phobias, these are trying times. The victim industry, the hate ’n’ fear brokers, haven’t seen a boom like this since the last world war. Our leaders, our effete elites and their Internet envoys are adding new phobias to their arsenal almost daily. Source
  • Trump's choice to be Navy secretary withdraws

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- President Donald Trump's choice to be secretary of the Navy, businessman Philip Bilden, said Sunday he was withdrawing from consideration for the post, citing concerns about privacy and separating himself from his business interests. Source
  • New Orleans crash suspect’s alcohol level 3 times legal limit: Cops

    World News Toronto Sun
    NEW ORLEANS — Authorities on Sunday identified the man who allegedly plowed into a crowd enjoying a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans while intoxicated. The New Orleans Police Department issued a statement identifying the man as 25-year-old Neilson Rizzuto. Source
  • Community rallies to throw birthday party for autistic boy

    Canada News CTV News
    Dozens of people rallied together in Kitchener, Ont. on Sunday to make seven-year-old Landen Hart’s birthday extra memorable after news no one showed up to his original party surfaced online. “It's overwhelming,” his mother Ashley Verbakel told CTV Kitchener. Source