Terminated Ont. contractors given $125,000 in lieu of notice

TORONTO -- Ontario's top court has shut down another attempt by a kitchen company to get out of paying severance to two workers it alleged were contractors, not employees.

See Full Article

In its decision Wednesday, the Appeal Court agreed that Canac Kitchens owed Marilyn and Lawrence Keenan $125,000 in lieu of 26 months notice.

At issue, the court said, was the nature of the relationship between the couple and company based in Thornhill, Ont., which shut down abruptly in March 2009, and what might be a reasonable notice period.

Court documents show Canac employed Lawrence Keenan from 1976 installing kitchen cabinets. He worked his way up to foreman supervising installation crews. His wife, who had been helping her husband informally, began working for Canac in 1983 as a supervisor.

In 1987, the company told them they would no longer be considered employees, but could carry on their work as contractors. As part of the agreement, they had to agree to devote their full-time and attention to Canac, which was a division of U.S.-based Kohler.

The Keenans went along with the plan, essentially because they had little choice and because not much actually changed under the new arrangement. They still considered themselves loyal Canac employees, wore shirts with the Canac logo, and used the company's business cards, court records show.

When Canac shut down in 2009 -- he was now 63 years old and she was 61 -- the company said their services were no longer needed. Canac argued the Keenans, as independent contractors, were owed nothing. The couple sued.

In a decision early last year, Superior Court Justice Graeme Mew found the arrangement started in 1987 had been "almost exclusively for Canac's benefit," and that the Keenans had been "dependent" contractors and therefore entitled to reasonable notice of termination, which he set at 26 months.

Even though they had done some work for another company in the two years before their termination, Mew ruled that did not change the situation.

On appeal, Canac argued the Keenans should not have been considered dependent contractors because they had not been working exclusively for the company before the relationship ended.

The Appeal Court rejected the argument.

"Of the approximately 32 and 25 years of service that Lawrence Keenan and Marilyn Keenan respectively gave to Canac, in all but two of those years, they exclusively served Canac," the court said.

"For over a generation, they were Canac's public face to the outside world. Over a period of approximately 30 years -- the entirety of their working lives -- the Keenans' income had come from Canac and they relied on that income to support themselves and their family."

Given the nature and length of their service and ages at the time of termination, the Appeal Court agreed that damages equivalent to 26 months notice was reasonable -- similar to an award given in another case involving a former employee of the company.

The court also ordered Canac to pay the Keenans $24,000 in costs.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Malta offers $1.18 million to discover who killed reporter

    World News CTV News
    VALLETTA, Malta -- Malta's government is offering a $1.18 million reward and full protection for anyone with information on who killed an investigative reporter with a car bomb. The government statement Saturday called the Oct. Source
  • Trump calls congresswoman 'wacky' in dispute over remarks to soldier's widow

    World News CBC News
    Mourners were expected to pack a church Saturday to honour a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between U.S. President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman. Family, friends and neighbours of Sgt. Source
  • Bannon faults George W. Bush for ‘destructive’ presidency

    World News CTV News
    Former White House adviser Steve Bannon depicted former U.S. President George W. Bush as bumbling and inept, faulting him for presiding over a “destructive” presidency during his time in the White House. Bannon’s scathing remarks on Friday night amounted to a retort to a Bush speech in New York earlier this week, in which the 43rd president denounced bigotry in Trump-era American politics and warned that the rise of “nativism,” isolationism and conspiracy theories have clouded the nation’s true…
  • U.S. appeals court blocks immigrant teen's access to abortion

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON — An appeals court is blocking, for now, an abortion sought by a pregnant 17-year-old immigrant being held in a Texas facility, ruling that the government should have time to try to release her so she can obtain the abortion outside of federal custody. Source
  • Knife wielding man arrested after 8 attacked in Munich

    World News Toronto Sun
    BERLIN — A man with a knife attacked eight people in Munich on Saturday and then fled, police said. The suspected assailant, a local German already known to police for theft and other offences, was arrested a few hours later. Source
  • Trump jabs back at 'wacky' congresswoman as spat rolls on

    World News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- Unwilling to put the tussling behind, U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday jabbed back at the Democratic lawmaker who has slammed him for his words of condolence to a military widow, calling Rep. Source
  • ISIS claims responsibility for Afghan mosque attack

    World News Toronto Sun
    KABUL — The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in the capital as Afghan officials on Saturday raised the number of casualties from the attack to at least 39 dead and at least 41 wounded. Source
  • Spain's PM seeks senate permission to dissolve Catalonia's government

    World News CBC News
    Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy says he wants his country's senate to give him direct power to dissolve the regional Catalan government and to call an early election as soon as possible. Rajoy said after meeting with his cabinet on Saturday that the central government needs to take the unprecedented step of assuming control of Catalonia to "restore order" in the face of a secession effort backed by the regional government. Source
  • Why the murder of a journalist in Malta sent ripples as far as Canada

    World News CBC News
    Consider what's happened since Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was killed by a bomb that exploded under her car, and you'll get a glimpse into just how influential she was. In a rare move, Pope Francis sent a letter of condolence to Caruana Galizia's three sons. Source
  • Egyptian officials say 54 police killed in Egypt attack

    World News CTV News
    CAIRO -- At least 54 policemen, including 20 officers and 34 conscripts, were killed when a raid on a militant hideout outside of Cairo escalated into an all-out firefight, authorities said Saturday. It was one of the largest losses of life for Egyptian security forces since militants began targeting government forces after the 2013 military ouster of Islamist President Mohammed Morsi, whose one-year rule proved divisive. Source