600 refugees crammed into Toronto hotel despite waiting sponsors

A Toronto hotel has become home to more than 600 government-sponsored Syrian refugees, leaving them feeling squeezed, while Canadians living in the hotel say they’re being pushed out to make room for more.

See Full Article

And it’s all despite the fact that private refugee sponsor groups say they are prepared to take on these government-sponsored refugees, but have been turned away.

Refugee Ali Hamoud and his 12 children have been living in the Toronto Plaza Hotel for three weeks. He managed to find a house, but said it was too expensive, so he will continue to stay in the hotel.

Ghassan Al Kakouni, his wife and three children are finally moving into a Mississauga, Ont., apartment after a month in the hotel.

Al Kakouni said that hotel residents are thankful for all the help they have received with things like English and health care, but that the close quarters are creating tensions for some of the families.

Immigration minister John McCallum said Tuesday that connecting government-sponsored refugees with private sponsor groups prepared to receive them "definitely makes sense,” but added “there are some other issues involved.”

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said Tuesday that her government had approached the federal government to ask them to do just that.

Humaira Khan, from the Toronto-area charity Partners in Humanity, said there are 100 sponsor groups ready to be matched with Syrian families, so they could help get 500 people out of the hotel.

“They are safe here, they are warm here, they are being fed,” she said of the hotel. “But they need to start their lives. The children need to go to school.”

Hotel resident Brian McIssac said that seeing them move on could help him too, since the hotel has asked him to vacate the room he’s lived in for a year and a half.

“Why did Mr. Trudeau bring in all these people and start throwing out Canadians, into the street?” he said, adding other residents have also been asked to move.

“I have nothing against these people, but why should we have to leave?”

The owner of the hotel restaurant said she too would like to see the refugees find permanent housing as soon as possible.

Manjit Sangh said her regular customers have stopped coming and that she has not been compensated.

“It’s really slow,” she said.

The influx of refugees has put such pressure on the tight rental markets that settlement agencies in Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa have requested the government slow down the intake. So far, however, they have refused.

More housing is also available at military bases in Ontario but that has not yet been used.

A total of 13,764 Syrian refugees have arrived in Canada between Nov. 4 and Jan 25, of which 7,926 are government-assisted, 4,985 are privately sponsored and 853 are in a blended program, according to Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

With a report from CTV National’s Peter Akman



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Police to update case of couple accused of bilking homeless man of GoFundMe money

    World News CBC News
    A New Jersey prosecutor says he will announce developments in a criminal investigation of a couple that raised $400,000 US for a homeless man they said helped them with a disabled car. Burlington County prosecutor Scott Coffina has scheduled a news conference for Thursday afternoon. Source
  • 'This did not need to happen': No arrests in alleged triple homicide

    Canada News CTV News
    The brother of one of three people found dead in southern Ontario earlier this month fought back tears Thursday as he urged anybody with information that might help investigators to come forward. “Please, anybody – somebody knows something,” Trevor Miller said. Source
  • Quebec judge says class action lawsuit over McDonald's Happy Meal toys can go ahead

    Canada News CTV News
    MONTREAL -- A judge has authorized a lawsuit to proceed against McDonald's Canada over the marketing of Happy Meals to Quebec children. Montreal lawyer Joey Zurkan sought authorization for a class action lawsuit, arguing promotion of the popular meals constitutes illegal advertising to children. Source
  • Prosecutor to discuss pair who raised $400K for homeless man

    World News CTV News
    MOUNT HOLLY, N.J. -- A New Jersey prosecutor says he will announce developments in a criminal investigation of a couple that raised US$400,000 for a homeless man they said helped them with a disabled car. Source
  • Kremlin critic Navalny was political prisoner, says European court

    World News CBC News
    The European Court of Human Rights ruled on Thursday that Russia's repeated arrests and detention of opposition leader Alexei Navalny were politically motivated and breached his human rights, a decision certain to displease the Kremlin. The court, based in Strasbourg, said Navalny had been subject to seven such arrests in 2012 and in 2014 and that at least two of those arrests had been designed to suppress political pluralism. Source
  • Homeowner digs in after neighbours say he can't build the house he wants

    Canada News CTV News
    Neighbours often come together to help each other out, but residents of one street in Ottawa are teaming up to stop one of their own from getting his wish.Read more on this story from CTV Ottawa Hassan Moghadam bought a property in the city’s Glebe neighbourhood. Source
  • After arrest, Michael Avenatti denies L.A. domestic violence

    World News CTV News
    LOS ANGELES - Stormy Daniels' lawyer Michael Avenatti denies allegations of domestic violence. Avenatti was arrested Wednesday near his skyscraper apartment in a ritzy area of Los Angeles. Police won't release details but say the alleged victim had visible injuries. Source
  • Newfoundland woman's search for missing relatives in California comes to difficult end

    Canada News CTV News
    LEWISPORTE, N.L. -- A Newfoundland woman who launched a desperate bid to find family members missing thousands of kilometres away in a fire-ravaged California town says the search has come to a difficult end. Megan Janes says her aunt and uncle, Paradise residents Paula and Randy Dodge, are no longer missing but also "no longer with us. Source
  • German tourist shot in head near Calgary still requires 24/7 care

    World News CBC News
    A German tourist, who visited Alberta to celebrate his 60th birthday, still requires 24/7 care and likely will never work again, says the Honorary German Consulate in Calgary. Horst Stewin, 60, was randomly shot in the head on an Alberta highway this summer. Source
  • School children among 40 injured in head-on crash of buses

    World News CTV News
    BERLIN -- Police say 40 adults and children have been injured, five of them "very seriously," in a head-on collision involving two public buses in southern Germany. A spokesman for Bavarian police said the people injured in the Thursday crash outside Nuremberg included school children, but he couldn't immediately say how many. Source