Const. Forcillo found guilty of attempted murder

Toronto Police Const. James Forcillo has been found guilty of attempted murder in the death of a Toronto teen but the jury also found him not guilty of second-degree murder, manslaughter and aggravated assault.

See Full Article

Forcillo was charged following the death of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim, who died after being shot several times on July 27, 2013.

The officer pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and attempted murder in Yatim's death.

Speaking to reporters outside the courthouse, Forcillo's lawyer said the verdict was "phase one of a long process."

Defence lawyer Peter Brauti said the legal team plans file a motion requesting to stay the proceedings in March or April, and will consider an appeal. A stay of proceedings disentitles the state to a conviction because of an abuse of process.

"We say that the abuse of process is that Const. Forcillo substantially followed the police training he was given and so if the state gave him that training, they should not be entitled to a conviction in the matter," Brauti said.

"It's early days still for Officer Forcillo. He's still got a lot of fight ahead of him."

Brauti called the case a "trial by YouTube," referencing the fact that a cellphone video of the shooting was posted online just minutes after the incident. He said it was probably the first trial he's worked where every potential juror said they knew about the case and had already formed an opinion.

Brauti said Forcillo will not be jailed, but will remain out on bail while other legal avenues are pursued.

Through the months-long trial, jurors have heard that Yatim had taken ecstasy before boarding the streetcar. Once on board, Yatim’s behaviour, which included pulling out a small knife, caused other passengers to panic.

Jurors also heard testimony from a woman who was sitting near Yatim, and the streetcar driver who tried to calm the teen down.

Forcillo told the jury he believed Yatim was going to attack officers who responded to the 911 call. In two separate volleys, Forcillo fired nine bullets at Yatim. Eight struck the teen.

CTV Toronto's Austin Delaney reported that the courtroom was packed with members of the media and friends and family of Yatim and Forcillo. Yatim's mother and the president of the Toronto Police Association were also in attendance.

There was also a heavy police presence outside the courthouse.

This is a developing story. More to come…



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Can U.S. border guards search your phone? Yes, and here's how

    Canada News CTV News
    WASHINGTON -- In one of several testy exchanges during a U.S. Senate hearing this week, the country's secretary of homeland security was pressed to explain a new policy that allows customs agents to examine the cellphones of travellers at the border. Source
  • 'Unacceptable' body mix-up at N.S. funeral home: minister

    Canada News CTV News
    HALIFAX -- The recent mix-up of bodies at a Nova Scotia funeral home is unacceptable and should never happen again, a provincial cabinet minister said Thursday. Service Nova Scotia Minister Geoff MacLellan said the tragic mistake is being investigated by the Nova Scotia Board of Registration of Embalmers and Funeral Directors, which regulates funeral homes and includes one of his staff members. Source
  • Gas plant verdict expected Friday; former Ontario premier's aides to learn fate

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO - Two former top political aides will find out on Friday whether they are criminally responsible for the destruction of documents related to Ontario's gas plants scandal. Ontario court Judge Timothy Lipson is set to deliver his verdict in the case of David Livingston, chief of staff to former Liberal premier Dalton McGuinty, and his deputy Laura Miller who are accused of attempted mischief and illegal use of a computer. Source
  • U.S. Senate approves NSA surveillance program extension

    World News CBC News
    The Senate on Thursday passed a bill to renew a critical foreign intelligence collection program dubbed the "holy grail" because it allows U.S. spy agencies to conduct surveillance on foreign targets abroad. The Senate voted 65-34 to reauthorize the program for six years. Source
  • Man arrested, charged in downtown Toronto murders

    Canada News CTV News
    Toronto police have arrested and charged a man in the deaths of two men who went missing last spring in the city’s Church-Wellesley Village. And and they won’t rule out the possibility the suspect might be linked to the deaths of other men. Source
  • Cape Town water supply near 'point of no return' as reservoirs run dry

    World News CBC News
    Welcome to The National Today, which takes a closer look at what's happening around some of the day's most notable stories. Sign up here and it will be delivered directly to your inbox Monday to Friday. Source
  • Ex-boyfriend of Holly Hamilton charged with 2nd-degree murder, police say

    Canada News CTV News
    Hamilton police say the ex-boyfriend of a 29-year-old woman is charged with second-degree murder one day after her body was found in the trunk of her car. Holly Hamilton was reported missing Monday by her family and police said her disappearance was out of character and that there was reason to be concerned for her safety. Source
  • Phoenix police: Double-killing suspect tied to 7 more deaths

    World News CTV News
    Phoenix-area police have evidence linking a 35-year-old man already charged with killing his mother and stepfather to seven additional homicides that occurred in a three-week span late last year, officials said Thursday. Cleophus Cooksey knew some of the victims but investigators are still trying to determine motives for at least some of the killings, according to police officials in Phoenix, Glendale and Avondale. Source
  • After #MeToo, phone app allows you to legally consent to sex

    World News CBC News
    A Dutch startup is launching an app that will allow people to give legal consent to sex via their mobile in an initiative spurred by Sweden's plans to bolster its rape law. The LegalFling app, which lets users set out which practices they are and are not comfortable with, records sexual consent in a legally binding agreement. Source
  • Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal plane

    World News CTV News
    Pope Francis celebrated the first-ever airborne papal wedding on Thursday, marrying two flight attendants from Chile's flagship airline at 36,000 feet during a flight from Santiago. Bride Paula Podest, 39, and groom Carlos Ciuffardi, 41, said "I do" after telling Francis that they had been married in a civil service in 2010 but had been unable to follow up with a church ceremony because of the Feb. Source