No decision yet on whether La Loche, Sask. school will be torn down

The northern Saskatchewan school where nine people were shot Friday could be torn down if that's what the community of La Loche requests.

See Full Article

Donna Johnson, assistant deputy minister with the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education, said no decisions have been made yet about the fate of the high school.

The acting mayor of La Loche and others have called for the school to be torn down and rebuilt.

"We understand their need and we're committed to ensure that the school going forward is part of the community's healing process," Johnson said from Regina on Monday.

The government will consult with the community about what's to be done with the school.

"We'll work with them together to determine what plan will go forward to ensure there is a school facility that meets the community's needs."

A 17-year-old boy is expected to appear in court in Meadow Lake, Sask., this afternoon. The teen, who can't be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, is charged with four counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder.

A teacher and an aide were shot during an eight-minute period at the La Loche high school on Friday. Seven people were injured.

Two brothers were also shot to death at a home in La Loche prior to the school shooting.

The youth is also charged with unauthorized possession of a firearm.

Both schools in the community are shut indefinitely as the elementary school is being used as crisis response centre. The province said victim support staff are on hand in the community, as well as the hospital where the injured were taken.

The ministry of health would not provide an update on the condition of the shooting victims citing patient privacy.



Advertisements

Latest Canada & World News

  • Canadian and her boyfriend missing in Belize

    Canada News CTV News
    A Canadian woman and her American boyfriend have gone missing in Belize, according to friends. Fifty-two-year-old Francesca Matus of Ontario, was last seen driving home from a local bar with her American boyfriend, Thomas Drew De Voursney, 36, on Tuesday evening, her friends say. Source
  • 673 icebergs counted in shipping lanes off Newfoundland

    Canada News CTV News
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- About 673 icebergs have drifted into shipping lanes off eastern Newfoundland so far this year. That's almost as many as were counted during the whole ice season last year, ending in late September. Source
  • Murdered woman's Fitbit log leads to husband's arrest

    World News Toronto Sun
    ROCKVILLE, Conn. — A Connecticut man who police say gave an account of his wife’s death that differed from information on her Fitbit pleaded not guilty Friday to murder and other charges. Richard Dabate appeared at a hearing in Rockville Superior Court, where his lawyer entered the pleas on his behalf. Source
  • New Brunswick announces efforts to fight for continued Atlantic tariff exemption

    Canada News CTV News
    FREDERICTON - The New Brunswick government is calling for an immediate start to negotiations between Canada and the United States to ensure softwood lumber from Atlantic Canada is exempt from countervailing duties. Provincial governments in the region have warned that the duties could lead to mill closures and lost jobs. Source
  • Former Salvation Army exec found guilty of selling donations to black market

    Canada News CTV News
    TORONTO -- A former Salvation Army executive diverted truckloads of donations received by the charity to the black market as part of scheme to make money, a Toronto court has ruled. David Rennie was found guilty this week of six charges related to the setup, including fraud, theft and trafficking in stolen goods, though he was cleared of a conspiracy charge after a judge found his co-accused not guilty. Source
  • Man pleads not guilty in murder case using Fitbit evidence

    World News CTV News
    ROCKVILLE, Conn. -- A Connecticut man who police say gave an account of his wife's death that differed from information on her Fitbit pleaded not guilty Friday to murder and other charges. Richard Dabate appeared at a hearing in Rockville Superior Court, where his lawyer entered the pleas on his behalf. Source
  • Cleveland officer pleads not guilty to assaulting 2 women with sex toy

    World News Toronto Sun
    CLEVELAND — A suburban Cleveland police officer suspected of assaulting two women with a sex toy during an illegal traffic stop has pleaded not guilty to charges including gross sexual imposition and abduction. Forty-nine-year-old Kenneth Bolton Jr. Source
  • Venezuelans march to prison to demand freedom for activists

    World News CTV News
    CARACAS, Venezuela -- Hundreds of opponents of President Nicolas Maduro were marching to a military prison outside Caracas on Friday to demand the release of Leopoldo Lopez and other jailed activists they consider political prisoners. Source
  • Drunk driver gets over 8 years for killing three people

    Canada News CTV News
    VANCOUVER -- A British Columbia man who killed three people while driving drunk along a winding mountain highway has been sentenced to eight years and four months in prison. Samuel Alec pleaded guilty in B.C. Source
  • Pentagon: U.S. airstrike killed 8 al-Qaida operatives in Yemen

    World News Toronto Sun
    WASHINGTON - The Pentagon says a U.S. airstrike in Yemen on Sunday killed eight operatives of group known as al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, including a key leader. A spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, said the airstrike April 23 killed Abu Ahmed Awlaqi, who had led AQAP operations in Shabwa province. Source